AL House Speaker Mike Hubbard indicted, arrested

RunInRed

BREAKING: AL House Speaker Mike Hubbard arrested and charged with 23 felonies including allegedly using office for personal gain.

@wsfa12news

BREAKING: Attorney for @SpeakerHubbard confirms his arrest. More to come.

@lyman_brian

Mike Hubbard's arrest might be the least surprising arrest in the history of the legal system.

@Josh_Moon

MONTGOMERY, Alabama --- Mike Hubbard, speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives and a powerful leader in the state Republican Party, has been indicted by a grand jury and charged with 23 counts, including using his office for personal gain and soliciting things of value.

Hubbard, 52, who led a historic Republican takeover of the state Legislature during the 2010 election, was charged after an investigation in his home county that has lasted more than a year.

The charges against Hubbard include 23 class B felonies. Those charges include:

• six counts of using office for personal gain,
  • 11 counts of soliciting a lobbyist or principal for a thing of value,
  • four counts of lobbying an executive department for a fee,
  • one count of voting for legislation with a conflict of interest,
  • one count of using equipment and materials.

According to the indictment, Hubbard solicited favors from some of Alabama's rich and powerful. They include former Alabama Governor Bob Riley, Business Council of Alabama CEO Billy Canary, Hoar Construction CEO Rob Burton, Great Southern Wood CEO Jimmy Rane, former Sterne Agee CEO James Holbrook, lobbyist Minda Riley Campbell, Harbert Management Corp. vice president Will Brooke and political operative Dax Swatek.

Most gave Hubbard what he wanted, according to the indictment, including major investments into Hubbard's company, Craftmaster Printing.

http://www.al.com/ne...d_indicted.html

Indictment: https://www.scribd.c...bard-Indictment

I used to really like him when he was running the AU network and even once he got into politics. I never knew him personally. This has been going on as long as governments have been around but even so I still get a little dismayed when these things come up. If he's guilty, then give him the maximum punishment allowed by law.

I used to really like him when he was running the AU network and even once he got into politics. I never knew him personally. This has been going on as long as governments have been around but even so I still get a little dismayed when these things come up. If he's guilty, then give him the maximum punishment allowed by law.

We'll see how it plays out. Having charges filed doesn't guarantee a conviction. A lot of republicans facing charges for things democrats been doing forever.

"Hubbard said last week he has done nothing wrong. He called the investigation a witch hunt."

I have no idea if he deserves going to jail or not but he has obviously made some political enemies.

We'll see how it plays out. Having charges filed doesn't guarantee a conviction. A lot of republicans facing charges for things democrats been doing forever.

"Hubbard said last week he has done nothing wrong. He called the investigation a witch hunt."

I have no idea if he deserves going to jail or not but he has obviously made some political enemies.

I don't know either. I don't believe that it is like what has gone on in Texas. Lee County is pretty solid republican.

There are only a few of those that have a remote chance at conviction. Most are just an attempt to harm his name. The leaks coming from this Grand Jury have been interesting. I thought a GJ was supposed to be secret but I admit lacking complete knowledge here. It's worth noting, as it's been noted on here before, a GJ is one sided. Only the prosecution presents anything to the jury. It's not overly hard to get an indictment in these type cases. It's no coincidence this happens 2 weeks out from an election. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Oh, the politics in Montgomery... :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with the process here but the Republican AG appears to be involved.That being the case I don't see how Hubbard could call this a witch hunt. Would the Dems do this if the scenario were reversed?

http://www.al.com/ne...range_says.html

I don't know Hubbard but a good fiend and Republican business man tells me Hubbard has been very shady.if not corrupt.

I'm not familiar with the process here but the Republican AG appears to be involved.That being the case I don't see how Hubbard could call this a witch hunt. Would the Dems do this if the scenario were reversed?

http://www.al.com/ne...range_says.html

I don't know Hubbard but a good fiend and Republican business man tells me Hubbard has been very shady.if not corrupt.

That is funny.

I don't know much about the indictments but I get the feeling that he is being hounded for his business Craftsman Printers. I had hear that the law was being interpreted to include any politician or political group or state agencies that did business with his companies is abuse of office. I am admirer of Hubbard. The plan he put together to rid this state of that criminal enterprise called the Democratic Party was brilliant.

Let's wait for the rest of the story before we kill him.

I voted for Toomer in the primaries and I will vote for myself as a write-in in November. You can't promote improved ethics and then put yourself in the middle of an ethics scandal that is contrary to your new reforms. We will se where it goes.

:)

As the old saying goes.......there are three sides to every story........in this case Hubbard's story, Strange's story and the truth. Who do you believe? I'm leaning toward Strange.

http://www.al.com/ne...tml#incart_2box

http://www.al.com/ne...tml#incart_2box

Most of the money deals are fairly obvious. The company ties and the state contracts are very obvious. At this point he's fighting to avoid jail time and would like to pay restitution. This is classic case of using political means for personal gains offense. This is a big no-no in the political world since it was much to obvious. Other politicians don't like Hubbards flamboyancy since they risk losing their gifts.

• 4 months later...

I don't know much about the indictments but I get the feeling that he is being hounded for his business Craftsman Printers. I had hear that the law was being interpreted to include any politician or political group or state agencies that did business with his companies is abuse of office. I am admirer of Hubbard. The plan he put together to rid this state of that criminal enterprise called the Democratic Party was brilliant.

Let's wait for the rest of the story before we kill him.

:laugh: :laugh: Once again, irony escapes you.

Most of the money deals are fairly obvious. The company ties and the state contracts are very obvious. At this point he's fighting to avoid jail time and would like to pay restitution. This is classic case of using political means for personal gains offense. This is a big no-no in the political world since it was much to obvious. Other politicians don't like Hubbards flamboyancy since they risk losing their gifts.

Absolutely. The modern - or "enlightened" - form of corruption is complex and legal. This is so passe'.

• 7 months later...

This guy represents the worst in politicians today ...

Mike Hubbard's own emails, filed this week by prosecutors in the ethics case against Alabama's speaker of the house, say all that needs to be said.

They make it clear. It does not matter if Hubbard is guilty of the 23 charges against him. It doesn't.

What matters, and what is clearest, is that he is the worst example of the worst kind of politician.

He is the worst kind of leader, coming to his job with his hand out and complaining all the while about the hours and the pay of the job he campaigned to do.

He is the worst kind of representative, putting himself above his people and his promises and the public good.

He is the worst.

Just look at a few of those emails, filed in court this week by prosecutors responding to defense motions to dismiss the charges against Hubbard.

Read More: http://www.al.com/op...ats_import.html

Mike Hubbard's own emails, filed this week by prosecutors in the ethics case against Alabama's speaker of the house, say all that needs to be said.

They make it clear. It does not matter if Hubbard is guilty of the 23 charges against him. It doesn't.

What matters, and what is clearest, is that he is the worst example of the worst kind of politician.

He is the worst kind of leader, coming to his job with his hand out and complaining all the while about the hours and the pay of the job he campaigned to do.

He is the worst kind of representative, putting himself above his people and his promises and the public good.

He is the worst.

Just look at a few of those emails, filed in court this week by prosecutors responding to defense motions to dismiss the charges against Hubbard.

He is sure no worse than Hillary. At least national security isn't in question in Hubbard's case.

He is the worst.

I agree.

Archived