Week 9 (Auburn vs. South Carolina) - Tiger Talk

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

Malzahn: "Did a lot of self-scout and self-evaluation" during the open week

Malzahn: "Roc will be more of a factor moving forward."

Malzahn: Cameron Artis-Payne probably watches more film than anyone on Auburn's offense

Malzahn on South Carolina defense: "They've got a lot of guys that have played." How's that for a compliment?

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn on bye: "It was a good week. … Your players bodies have been through the grind." Team was "strategic" with practice, "1s-on-1s."

Malzahn on issues with his offense: "It's just a matter of us getting a rhythm and putting it together for a couple of games."

Malzahn: "It's just a matter of we need to improve in all 3 areas. … That was a key to last year's team, we improved & that was evident."

Malzahn on OL: "The guys that could go I really feel like they improved. … We just tried to clean it up and coach the finer details."

Malzahn on day/night games: "Really it doesn't matter. I will say this, our night games are a little louder." Wonder what he's referring to?

Malzahn on passing plays out of the zone read: "We have different wrinkles off the read options, we have 'neckeds.' … So the answer is yes."

Malzahn: "You carry all your bullets into that game & you do whatever you have. … With this stretch we have we can't save anything."

@AUBlog

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on four of the Top 5 being from SEC West: "The thing that stands out to me is defense. They can all play defense."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on if QB Jeremy Johnson could play more: "It is possible. We feel very good about him, as I've said before."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on praising Nick Marshall: "He made some plays that probably no other quarterback in the country is going to make."

@AUGoldMine

Not a surprise but Gus Malzahn says the defense must improve on rushing the passer in base defensive sets (four linemen and no blitz)

Malzahn says that true freshman OL Braden Smith "is very talented and versatile". Says he'll be more of a factor in the 2nd half of the year

Malzahn says Carl Lawson's rehab is going good. They haven't gotten to the point of talking about him coming back.

Malzahn talks about watching Steve Spurrier while a high school coach and taking things from him, even the visor

@ITATJason

First fan question is about, well, hinting at if coaches have input on whether refs get fired at end of year.

@bmarcello

Malzahn declines to say coaches should be polled in the SEC's review of its officials at the end of the year. Says he trusts Steve Shaw.

Malzahn on the offensive line: "We were still a little beat up last week. ... But the guys that could go, I feel like they improved."

Malzahn on Austin Golson: "He's doing well. He's doing a great job on our scout team."

Malzahn says that offensive line coach J.B. Grimes comes up twice a week to him to mention "how happy he is (Golson's) here."

Malzahn on whether Braden Smith could play H-back: "We need him on the offensive line for depth. ... (But) he could probably do it."

Malzahn on WR Jaylon Denson: "You'll see him be more of a factor and he's starting to get back in a rhythm." Says he's still not 100 percent

Malzahn on Carl Lawson: "His rehab is going good. ... He's got a bright future and we want to make sure he's 110 percent."

Malzahn on South Carolina: "They've got good players and we're expecting them to be at their best."

Malzahn not looking at the College Football Playoff yet. Not in the slightest. "With our schedule, it'll all take care of itself."

@wareagleextra

Archived