My favorite takeaway from Malzahn's conference

Dual-Threat Rigby

If 2013 is good, we will not be a good running team this year. In fact, no team playing football above the high school level will be a good running team this year. Sorry to disappoint.

READING COMPREHENSION

I called 2013 amazing, relative to that I called 2014 good. ITS SIMPLE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then, we're already good. 328 ypg (first in the nation) = amazing; 262 ypg (14th in the nation) = good. Statistical comprehension. It IS simple.

If 2013 is good, we will not be a good running team this year. In fact, no team playing football above the high school level will be a good running team this year. Sorry to disappoint.

READING COMPREHENSION

Your initial post said you wonder "can he make this running game look good". We are just reading what YOU wrote

Then, we're already good. 328 ypg (first in the nation) = amazing; 262 ypg (14th in the nation) = good. Statistical comprehension. It IS simple.

We're saying the same thing, you're arguing for NO reason.

READING COMPREHENSION

Your initial post said you wonder "can he make this running game look good". We are just reading what YOU wrote

If this is necessary to specify, consistently good. We'll go from a 12 yard rush to two straight plays for a net 4 yards and end up in 3rd and 6. The biggest reason I bring up 2013 is because it was consistently great, and it's baffling that this OL can't block anyone for more than 1 play, and CAP can't go anywhere unless there's a gaping hole.

Guest jojo1515

We're saying the same thing, you're arguing for NO reason.

READING COMPREHENSION

If this is necessary to specify, consistently good. We'll go from a 12 yard rush to two straight plays for a net 4 yards and end up in 3rd and 6. The biggest reason I bring up 2013 is because it was consistently great, and it's baffling that this OL can't block anyone for more than 1 play, and CAP can't go anywhere unless there's a gaping hole.

I agree with you DTR. While the running game statically is very good, there are some trouble areas or causes for concern. Of course on any other team, this years running game would be considered wildly successful. I guess it is the glimpses we get of what the running game could be with just a few better blocks and more timely play calling.....not that there is really an issue with either...we are perhaps a little spoiled!

Just food for thought. First the most important thing to come out of this bye week will be that GM looks back at the film and find what this team is best at. He will also look at where he thinks he has become predictable. I expect most of the change you will see starting Saturday will be how GM approaches the offense play calling. For those fussing about our run game in comparison to last year, there are several reasons for it. One would be through 6 games last year we looked the same The main thing has been first down play calling. We have passed more on first down than last year, in fact we have passed more period. Gus said before the season, we had to make them pay when they play the run. We have at times done that, but we have missed a lot of passes from bad throws, drops and penalties (whether they were correct or not). I think also Gus has turned off the read option sometimes this year for some reason. As far as blocking, if you look at the OL they are making the initial block and releasing and going down to second targets, a lot like last year. For some reason our back is not making it past that initial block some times. Could be the OL are not holding the first block long enough. Could be the back is not getting there as quick. Remember a lot of times last year Tre hit the hole while it was tight, but with speed and power he blew through that first impact and usually had only DBs to tangle with after contact. Cap is running hard but through a lot more D/LB traffic than Tre did. I firmly believe you will see a lot of difference in the play calling. JMO. WDE

I can imagine CGM would like to open the play book wide open and show case a whole lot of things...however the O line injuries and consistency is going to hinder some of the offense until he get 5 guys gelling together on that line.

Phillip Marshall said it best, the season is like a double elimination tournament. Auburn is now in the losers bracket. They have to do everything possible to win each game. No holding back....

I think this is pretty accurate. I also think this is going to be an annual thing. First 4 or 5 games will be up and down then he will turn it loose. Some years it will work. Some years it won't.

As I've mentioned before, in both 2010 and 2013, seems like the Gus Bus didn't shift into overdrive until around this point in the season. Gus always seems to have a kick for the second half of the race. And I'd much rather lose early and win later than vice versa!

...just hope we can win out. Then if Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl, there could be a 3-way tie in the West with us, them and MSU, each with one loss and split 1-1 in head-to-head. Don't know how the tie-breaker works from there. Don't know how many of the three would make the playoffs either. Hypothetically, we could even see the West rep lose in Atlanta, and the two NOT playing in the SECCG making the final four.. :dunno: (Although losing a game as late as the Egg Bowl is not a good way to stay in the top four.)

Based on yards per game rushing, the 2014 Auburn offense is currently No. 10 among SEC run-offenses from 1985-2014. This places them in the top 3 percent range, which would be considered "great". Ranking the same run-offenses during the same time period based on yards per game, yards per rush and TD ratio, the 2014 Auburn offense would be No. 11 among the 352 teams. This would place them in the top 4 percent, which obviously would still be in the "great" range.

SECTop-25_zps8ea6f8ba.jpg

I truly believe if the 2013 run-offense never happened, we would not be hearing any bickering about the 2014 run-offense. I look back to 2004, when the Auburn running game averaged less than 185-yards per game with Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, there was very little complaining about the run-offense. In fact, many AU fans considered it a very good running-attack. Well, that run-offense finished at No. 103 on the list of 352 SEC teams. I would also image if the 2014 Auburn defense was playing at the same level of 2004, this current team would be clearly undefeated and No. 1 in the country (polls). Once again we would be hearing less complaining about the run-offense. Folks tend to down play Cameron Artis-Payne but he is on pace to have a better rushing performance that Carnell Williams or Ronnie Brown. Now I'm not saying CAP is a better back than Carnell or Ronnie but I cannot recall any Auburn fan prior to 2014 wanting to see a RB on pace for a 1400+ season to have a more limited role in the offense.

Prior to 2013 and 2014, the longest stretch of 200-yard rushing games in conference play was 8 between 1983-1984. Auburn is currently on a streak of 11 consecutive conference games with 200-yards rushing and will likely make it 12 against South Carolina. These are record setting events unfolding for Auburn fans (2013 & 2014) and I think its really sad more Auburn fans are not appreciating it more. During the 37 conference games with Gus Malzahn at Auburn, the Tigers have rushed for 200-yards or more 26 times and have totaled at least 400-yards in offense 20 times. During the 37 conference games before Malzahn arrived at Auburn, the Tigers had (9) 200-yd rushing games and (10) 400-yard total offense games. Under Malzahn, Auburn has averaged 424-yds and 32 PPG in conference play compared to the 332-yards and 23 PPG during the previous 37-game stretch of conference games.

Funny how perception works....

That's good for 4th in the sec in rushing offense and 3rd in the sec west. I'm not sure what that says about the sec rush defense.

With all the departures of veteran QB's from 2013, I thought 2014 could be the "Year of the RB" or run-offenses in the SEC. Through the first-half of the season, we are witnessing this first hand.

Funny how perception works....

I wholeheartedly agree Stat. A lot of Auburn fans got spoiled real quick since last year. I tell my wife and friends what Auburn is doing is almost unheard of. People need to remember this team is a bad 15 minute period away from being the #1 team in the country. I remember your post last year when you said you were going to sit back and enjoy the ride compared to the anxiety that came with 2010. Funny what expectations will do to a fan base.

Amen Stat. People criticizing CAP have to be doing so on a mighty steep curve. He may not yet be Tre Mason but Auburn can win with him and I believe he will have some games in this second half of the season that will quiet all that nonsense. Roc is going to help but CAP is the man and AU's running attack is still one of the best, and at times the best, in college football.

That is crazy statistics ...

We are 4th in ypg in sec so far this year which is 11th overall since 1985. This appears to be an historic year of rush offense in the sec

Also ... Those 2013 numbers will be certain difficult to exceed. I think people forget 2013 is the first time ever an SEC team lead the country in rushing ypg.

We will beat SC this week as to whether running game is good or not this year it depends on how you look at it. Total yardage is good but consistent yardage especially on first down is not where it needs to be. Last year we had a lot of second and short and third in short this year to many times first down run didn't get that much so we have had to pass more so the running consistency is not where we need it to be.

Some of that is teams knowing us better, some is a missed block here or there, some is not making the correct read, some is not having Trey get hit in the backfield and still picking up 4 yards or changing direction in the hole and picking up 8 yards when it looked like hole was going to be stuffed.

Trey helped make the line look good and the line helped make Trey look good last year. I think Cap has been solid but not spectacular I think Roc might help with getting a few bigger gains and I think O-Line will get better the more they play together. Also need a consistent Blocking Back.

I am not saying running game isn't good but we can't rely on it to consistently get us 5-6 yards on first down which allows us to play downhill and puts the other teams defense in a hole.

Phillip Marshall said it best, the season is like a double elimination tournament. Auburn is now in the losers bracket. They have to do everything possible to win each game. No holding back....

I think this is pretty accurate. I also think this is going to be an annual thing. First 4 or 5 games will be up and down then he will turn it loose. Some years it will work. Some years it won't.

As I've mentioned before, in both 2010 and 2013, seems like the Gus Bus didn't shift into overdrive until around this point in the season. Gus always seems to have a kick for the second half of the race. And I'd much rather lose early and win later than vice versa!

...just hope we can win out. Then if Ole Miss wins the Egg Bowl, there could be a 3-way tie in the West with us, them and MSU, each with one loss and split 1-1 in head-to-head. Don't know how the tie-breaker works from there. Don't know how many of the three would make the playoffs either. Hypothetically, we could even see the West rep lose in Atlanta, and the two NOT playing in the SECCG making the final four.. :dunno: (Although losing a game as late as the Egg Bowl is not a good way to stay in the top four.)

For us to make the playoffs we need to be big UAT fans when they play MSU and then Ole Miss win the Egg Bowl. This is all assuming we win out. MSU will have to lose 2 for us to make the SECCG.

As for the 4 team playoff - with our schedule (UM, UGA, UAT all on the road) - we should get in because this means UM and UAT would fall behind us leaving only FSU and possibly MSU ranked ahead. The kicker would be what happens if Oregon and Mich St win out and win their conference. Our only sure bet is pray MSU loses 2 and we repeat as SEC Champs.

For us to make the playoffs we need to be big UAT fans when they play MSU and then Ole Miss win the Egg Bowl. This is all assuming we win out. MSU will have to lose 2 for us to make the SECCG.

As for the 4 team playoff - with our schedule (UM, UGA, UAT all on the road) - we should get in because this means UM and UAT would fall behind us leaving only FSU and possibly MSU ranked ahead. The kicker would be what happens if Oregon and Mich St win out and win their conference. Our only sure bet is pray MSU loses 2 and we repeat as SEC Champs.

I honestly think that if we win out and end in a 3 way tie with the Miss teams then we will end up in Atlanta because of our East team schedule. But your right the only sure fire way is for state to drop 2, get ready to cheer for the toothless and for ole Miss.

"I've never tried to save anything," Malzahn said on Auburn's Tiger Talk radio show Monday night. "With this stretch we have, we can't save anything.

Never

Never

We (not me, but as a majority) liked to read so much into the words of Gus, this proves our struggles were struggles. With me saying this, I don't believe Malzahn wanted to switch from the game plan too much against SJSU and LaTech.

BTW I never expected 2014 to be statistically the same as 2013, but against the defenses we've played and the glimmers we've seen, I don't know why its not at the same level. 320 yards seems pretty attainable against teams like SJSU, LaTech and at least reach 200 against KSU

Regardless of what has happened, we just need to make more yardage on first downs..period end of story. We have not done that so far this season on a consistent basis. If we can achieve that and keep growing as a defensive unit, we could be highly competitive in all our remaining games.

Archived