Why Southern Baptists must aid Liberia

AUUSN

Liberia is going to need our help. Question is will we help our fellow country men and women or stand by and watch it crumble?

"Ongoing conflict and segregation emerged between African-American-Africans and native-born Liberians. For nearly 200 years, our experiment has unfolded on the Liberian coast, mostly with tragic results. Ebola is so successful there because little else—government, medical infrastructure—has been successful at all.

To the degree that such things can be true two centuries later, the Liberian mess is one of America's making, with particular responsibility falling upon Southern Baptists.

So, when the epidemiological tides turn (we're not at all qualified to combat viruses), I believe that Southern Baptists will be doing the honorable thing if we step up to the plate in a sacrificial and jaw-dropping, head-turning way to address the plight of Liberia's survivors."

http://erlc.com/article/why-southern-baptists-must-aid-liberia

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you going with this?

Liberia needs our help and because we as Americans have a special relationship with that country, have a duty to help. They urgently need medical gear, gloves, hazmat suits, body bags and many other items.

But hey, as long as someone brings doughnuts to sunday school, all is right in the world! :no:

Never been a big fan of the southern Baptist line of thinking. And you are correct, we do need to help, be it people of faith or not. It's not all on the churches to help.

Never been a big fan of the southern Baptist line of thinking. And you are correct, we do need to help, be it people of faith or not. It's not all on the churches to help.

Concur but they can do more than they currently are, like fund raising for organizations like Samaritan's Purse.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/fighting-ebola-in-west-africa/

Concur but they can do more than they currently are, like fund raising for organizations like Samaritan's Purse.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/fighting-ebola-in-west-africa/

Nah, they are too busy fighting the gay movement. ;D

I think the Baptist are stretched a little thin right now. They've committed to housing the unaccompanied minors from Latin America.

By the way, I'm not Baptist, but if they want to send Aid it would be a good thing. If they want to send missionaries, we should quarantine them for 21-30 days before they re-enter the country.

Frankly, I dont see why Liberia is anymore the responsibility of the Southern Baptists than anyone else. I fail to see how one can equate current responsibility from event that transpired over 150 years ago. Helping them out is obviously an honorable thing but not necessarily an incumbent responsibility on southerners or more specifically Southern Baptists. I dont think Liberia was the brain child of the Southern Baptists. That falls on the abolitionists who opposed slavery.

Frankly, I dont see why Liberia is anymore the responsibility of the Southern Baptists than anyone else. I fail to see how one can equate current responsibility from event that transpired over 150 years ago. Helping them out is obviously an honorable thing but not necessarily an incumbent responsibility on southerners or more specifically Southern Baptists. I dont think Liberia was the brain child of the Southern Baptists. That falls on the abolitionists who opposed slavery.

Holy cow you need to study your history.. From Frederick Douglass:

"For two hundred and twenty-eight years has the colored man toiled over the soil of America, under a burning sun and a driver's lash—plowing, planting, reaping, that white men might roll in ease, their hands unhardened by labor, and their brows unmoistened by the waters of genial toil; and now that the moral sense of mankind is beginning to revolt at this system of foul treachery and cruel wrong, and is demanding its overthrow, the mean and cowardly oppressor is meditating plans to expel the colored man entirely from the country. Shame upon the guilty wretches that dare propose, and all that countenance such a proposition. We live here—have lived here—have a right to live here, and mean to live here.—F.D."

"For two hundred and twenty-eight years has the colored man toiled over the soil of America, under a burning sun and a driver's lash—plowing, planting, reaping, that white men might roll in ease, their hands unhardened by labor, and their brows unmoistened by the waters of genial toil; and now that the moral sense of mankind is beginning to revolt at this system of foul treachery and cruel wrong, and is demanding its overthrow, the mean and cowardly oppressor is meditating plans to expel the colored man entirely from the country. Shame upon the guilty wretches that dare propose, and all that countenance such a proposition. We live here—have lived here—have a right to live here, and mean to live here.—F.D."

WTF? That doesn't have squat to do with pinning responsibility to help Liberia on Southern Baptists. Liberia was the brain child of abolitionists. Seems to me you're the one who needs the refresher course in history. The idea of allowing freed slaves to return to Liberia was brought forth in 1821 and was the brainchild of abolitionists NOT Southern Baptists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Liberia

WTF? That doesn't have squat to do with pinning responsibility to help Liberia on Southern Baptists. Liberia was the brain child of abolitionists. Seems to me you're the one who needs the refresher course in history. The idea of allowing freed slaves to return to Liberia was brought forth in 1821 and was the brainchild of abolitionists NOT Southern Baptists.

http://en.wikipedia....tory_of_Liberia

Spare me wikipedia... When you write abolitionists, I rightly think Frederick Douglass and he was against the idea of Liberia. So Mr. Douglass further stated:

In view of this proposition, we would respectfully suggest to the assembled wisdom of the nation, that it might be well to ascertain the number of free colored people who will be likely to need the assistance of government to help them out of this country to Liberia, or elsewhere, beyond the limits of these United States—since this course might save any embarrassment which would result from an appropriation more than commensurate to the numbers who might be disposed to leave this, our own country, for one we know not of. We are of the opinion that the free colored people generally mean to live in America, and not in Africa; and to appropriate a large sum for our removal, would merely be a waste of the public money. We do not mean to go to Liberia. Our minds are made up to live here if we can, or die here if we must; so every attempt to remove us will be, as it ought to be, labor lost. Here we are, and here we shall remain. While our brethren are in bondage on these shores, it is idle to think of inducing any considerable number of the free colored people to quit this for a foreign land.

Since you insist on Wikipedia, let's seewhat it has to say about Lott Carey, a Baptist Minister:

Lott Cary (also in records as Lott Carey) (1780 – November 10, 1828) was an African-American Baptist minister and lay physician, who was instrumental in the founding of the Colony of Liberia in the 1820s in Africa. Born into slavery in Charles City County, Virginia, he purchased his freedom and that of his children at the age of 33 after saving money from being hired out in Richmond.

When he migrated to Liberia in 1821, he was one of the first black American missionaries, as well as the first American Baptist missionary, to Africa. He established its first church, founded schools for natives, and helped lead the colony.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lott_Cary

Spare me wikipedia... When you write abolitionists, I rightly think Frederick Douglass and he was against the idea of Liberia. So Mr. Douglass further stated:

In view of this proposition, we would respectfully suggest to the assembled wisdom of the nation, that it might be well to ascertain the number of free colored people who will be likely to need the assistance of government to help them out of this country to Liberia, or elsewhere, beyond the limits of these United States—since this course might save any embarrassment which would result from an appropriation more than commensurate to the numbers who might be disposed to leave this, our own country, for one we know not of. We are of the opinion that the free colored people generally mean to live in America, and not in Africa; and to appropriate a large sum for our removal, would merely be a waste of the public money. We do not mean to go to Liberia. Our minds are made up to live here if we can, or die here if we must; so every attempt to remove us will be, as it ought to be, labor lost. Here we are, and here we shall remain. While our brethren are in bondage on these shores, it is idle to think of inducing any considerable number of the free colored people to quit this for a foreign land.

I hate to break this unsuspecting news to you but Southern Baptists were NOT the only folks that owned slaves in early American history. And, please, for the love of all thats holy, spare the the line about the Yanks taking the high road because when slavery was outlawed in the northern states, those morally superior folks SOLD their slaves they did not set them free.

You dont like wikipedia..heres another. There are as many as you would like to read

http://www.memory.lo...ml/liberia.html

I hate to break this unsuspecting news to you but Southern Baptists were NOT the only folks that owned slaves in early American history. And, please, for the love of all thats holy, spare the the line about the Yanks taking the high road because when slavery was outlawed in the northern states, those morally superior folks SOLD their slaves they did not set them free.

You dont like wikipedia..heres another. There are as many as you would like to read

You are off topic...

You are off topic...

The topic is the Southern Baptists owe Liberia but the bottom line that is utterly preposterous because Southern Baptists are NOT the ones who advocated sending them back Africa in the first place. Like it or not that was the abolitionists who came up with that idea. Frederick Douglas's opinion of Liberia is off topic because that in no way supports the idea that Southern Baptists are beholding to Liberia

I'm not a religious person, but Southern Baptists of today don't have SQUAT to do with what happened in 1820. The idea is absurd.

Lott Carey chose to do as he did and that has nothing to do with 21st century Southern Baptists, southern Catholics or southern atheists. For that matter, his 1820 choice has nothing to do with anybody that's alive today or any organization that is in existence today.

So quoting Dwight Shrute:

2904758_2383707_b.jpg

A Baptist minister started the Liberian colony.

The LEADING abolutionist was against the idea.

Today's Baptist have a responsibility to help the people of Liberia.

I'm not a religious person, but Southern Baptists of today don't have SQUAT to do with what happened in 1820. The idea is absurd.

Lott Carey chose to do as he did and that has nothing to do with 21st century Southern Baptists, southern Catholics or southern atheists. For that matter, his 1820 choice has nothing to do with anybody that's alive today or any organization that is in existence today.

Thank you. The logic that some nurture is beyond absurd

2904758_2383707_b.jpg

You go with that. I think you're nucking futs.

2904758_2383707_b.jpg

Yes I am and while people across the country file into their posh churches full of coffee bars, gyms and rec centers this Sunday, our brothers and sisters in Christ are left to rot. So yeah, I'll "go with that."

2904758_2383707_b.jpg

Yes I am and while people across the country file into thei posh churches full of coffee bars, gyms and rec centers this Sunday, our brothers and sisters in Christ are left to rot. So yeah, I'll "go with that."

You do that and while you're at it have another extra LARGE helping of white guilt.That'll do those people in Liberia a helluva lot of good...a'ight? And, if youre not white just be pissed in general...that'll show 'em.

You are off topic...

The topic is the Southern Baptists owe Liberia but the bottom line that is utterly preposterous because Southern Baptists are NOT the ones who advocated sending them back Africa in the first place. Like it or not that was the abolitionists who came up with that idea. Frederick Douglas's opinion of Liberia is off topic because that in no way supports the idea that Southern Baptists are beholding to Liberia

I didn't realize there are any over 180 year old southern baptists still around in the US who owned slaves, freed them, and sent then to live in Liberia before the civil war!

Using the above logic the Italians should be paying and helping other European countries that they took slaves from during the Roman Empire.

Archived