Whitehead Back

jcm81

He will play. Not as much as before I would imagine. I like ford and Holley but this might ignite a different inner beast for JW. Depth at least is a plus.

JMO...he was the best at this position when he left...probably still the best....might have lost his starting "rights" but if they let him back on the team, I would be surprised if they would penalize him..... and the team by holding him out.

Seems to me that Gus made his point...time for everyone to move on....and we should field the best players we have available.

He's already been penalized for being held out of 4 games. If he doesn't start, it will be because Ford has earned the right to start. Maybe Whitehead is better but Ford has been playing really well and JW has been held out of practices for a while. Though it sounds like he practiced during the bye week, if he starts on Saturday, I think that'd be a pretty strong statement that he's probably our best DB.

Moncrief has played more and more over the course of the season. He played about 25% of the defensive snaps against State. He's working at boundary Safety. The State game was the first time (at least the first time I recall) where Ford shifted to field Safety with Moncrief beside him.

Whitehead's return (which is a very good thing for us defensively) won't affect Ford. He's played the vast majority of his snaps at boundary Safety, and I expect that will continue. Certainly, we now have more depth across the defensive backfield because Holsey is free to play multiple positions rather than playing 60-70+ snaps per game at field Safety. Plus, like I said, Ford has worked at both Safety positions now, and Moncrief is gaining trust on the boundary.

I suspect you'll see all four guys playing Safety, but I also expect to see Holsey back in the mix at boundary CB (where Mincy has played almost every snap until he was lifted late in the State game). Holsey is a guy we want to keep on the field so I'd expect him to become a bit of a Swiss Army knife mixing in at boundary CB, field Safety, center Safety in the 3-3-5 or Nickelback in our nickel package. That would allow Whitehead plenty of snaps at his field Safety position without disrupting Ford/Moncrief on the boundary. That's my guess for how this plays out.

JMO...he was the best at this position when he left...probably still the best....might have lost his starting "rights" but if they let him back on the team, I would be surprised if they would penalize him..... and the team by holding him out.

Seems to me that Gus made his point...time for everyone to move on....and we should field the best players we have available.

Holsey played and is far more better than whitehead. Plus he's far more physical

I am happy Whitehead is back. We need the depth. I am sure he will gets snaps. This will certainly help us.

Welcome back and take that lesson learned and go forward....WDE!!!

100% :hellyeah:

Per report on AUC, Whitehead will have to earn time back on the field. He will be used on special teams and Scout team until his playing situation is better determined. I think will be back in the rotation in a week or so if all goes well this week. JMHO. WDE

Happy!!!! :jossun: The handling of this situation, regardless of the details, sure looks like a textbook "how should" for coaches everywhere. Send a copy one state south, please.

I would be very surprised if we see Whitehead at all this weekend (unless it is a blowout). He hasn't practiced with the team since the suspension (practiced on Sunday with the scout team). If I know the coaching staff, he won't touch the field until he earns it again on the practice field.

Archived