Gamecock game likely hinges on their run-offense

StatTiger

Perhaps the biggest key for the Auburn defense this Saturday night will be defending the Gamecock running game. The Gamecocks are currently averaging 220-yards rushing during their last 4 games. Steve Spurrier will lean heavily on Mike Davis to control the tempo of the game and to keep his porous defense off the field. Auburn has drastically improved their run-defense from last season, which was ranked No. 63 nationally, allowing 163-yards per game. This season Auburn is allowing 120-yards per game, ranked 24th nationally. Though it appears Auburn has improved upon their run-defense, they have surrendered 171-yards per game to conference opponents. If South Carolina can rush for 140-170 yards Saturday night, it will keep Auburn honest on defense and open up the Gamecock passing game. South Carolina's run-offense could dictate if Auburn has 10-12 possessions or 13-15 possessions, which could decide whether Auburn scores into the low 30's or into the 40's.

The play...

MSU-McKinzyTFL_zps2e4b25cf.jpg

On this play MSU faces a 3rd & 3 from their own 32-yard line. The Bulldogs come out in a 4-WR set to spread out the Auburn defense. At the snap Auburn must play the play-action pass option first. (Note McKizy staying put until the hand off is made) DaVonte Lambert does a great job of taking away the edge, forcing the RB to stay inside. Gabe Wright knifes through the line despite being held.

Cassanova McKinzy tracks the RB, avoiding the second level block by the MSU center. McKinzy is able to shoot through for the hit on the RB, dropping the RB for a loss in the backfield. Note how Kris Frost had backside containment had the QB kept on the play.

Don't be surprised if the Gamecocks have early success running the football. Auburn has allowed all three prior SEC opponents to run for over 100-yards during the first-half. The Tigers in their 3 SEC games have allowed an average of 132-yards rushing on 6.1 yards per rush during the first-half and 39-yards on 2.7 yards per carry during the second-half.

During the Gus Malzahn era at Auburn, the Tigers are 6-6 in games the opponent had at least 40 rush attempts. During those 12 games, Malzahn's offense averaged 373-yards and 27 PPG. The opponent averaged 216-yards rushing.

Thanks, interesting. I personally think Arky's running game is almost as good as Carolina's and that Arky has better O line to run behind than Carolina's. Since the final score will be 28 -24 Auburn ;) either both defenses will do their job against the run, or they'll have trouble stopping CAP & co. but we'll continue our theme from the Miss St game. And please, no more slow starts guys!

Thanks, interesting. I personally think Arky's running game is almost as good as Carolina's and that Arky has better O line to run behind than Carolina's. Since the final score will be 28 -24 Auburn ;) either both defenses will do their job against the run, or they'll have trouble stopping CAP & co. but we'll continue our theme from the Miss St game. And please, no more slow starts guys!

Interesting note...

Arkansas in conference play averages 163.2 yards rushing on 4.3 yards per clip.

South Carolina averages 171.2 per game on 4.6 per carry.

Interesting note...

Arky has played Bama, UGA, A&M, and us.

Carolina has played A&M, Vandy, Mizzou, UK, and UGA. A&M and UGA are a wash, so I'd say playing Vandy, Mizzou, and UK help SC's stat's more than Arky playing us and Bama help theirs.

If Auburn is held to just 28 points, it would mean massive injuries, lots of turnovers or really bad rain.

Interesting note...

Arky has played Bama, UGA, A&M, and us.

Carolina has played A&M, Vandy, Mizzou, UK, and UGA. A&M and UGA are a wash, so I'd say playing Vandy, Mizzou, and UK help SC's stat's more than Arky playing us and Bama help theirs.

Good point but I'm still concerned about Auburn's run-defense in the first-half. Not concerned about Auburn's offense against this Gamecock defense unless they don't take care of the football.

SC vs A&M: 67 rushing yards on 22 attempts 3.0yds/carry

Arky vs A&M: 285 rushing yards on 47 attempts 6.1yds/carry

SC vs UGA: 176 rushing yards on 42 attempts 4.2yds/carry

Arky vs UGA: 126 rushing yards on 37 attempts 3.4yds/carry

SC vs Vandy: 212 rushing yards on 34 attempts 6.2yds/carry

SC vs Mizzou: 119 rushing yards on 42 attempts 2.8yds/carry

SC vs UK: 282 rushing yards on 48 attempts 6.7yds/carry

Arky vs Bama: 89 rushings yards on 39 attempts 2.3yds/carry

Arky vs us: 153 rushing yards on 29 attempts 5.3yds/carry

Arky's numbers are inflated from the A&M game and the first half of the opener against us and SC's numbers are inflated from the UK and Vandy games. I think that all favors our defensive if the game comes down to SC's rushing. Agreed Stat, if we can keep their run game in check the first half (or make dominant adjustments at halftime like we did against Arky), we will stop Davis and crew.

Obviously Davis being hurt in the A&M game and SC giving up on the run game early, our getting gashed by Arky in the first half, and many other factors at play here.

SC vs A&M: 67 rushing yards on 22 attempts 3.0yds/carry

Arky vs A&M: 285 rushing yards on 47 attempts 6.1yds/carry

SC vs UGA: 176 rushing yards on 42 attempts 4.2yds/carry

Arky vs UGA: 126 rushing yards on 37 attempts 3.4yds/carry

SC vs Vandy: 212 rushing yards on 34 attempts 6.2yds/carry

SC vs Mizzou: 119 rushing yards on 42 attempts 2.8yds/carry

SC vs UK: 282 rushing yards on 48 attempts 6.7yds/carry

Arky vs Bama: 89 rushings yards on 39 attempts 2.3yds/carry

Arky vs us: 153 rushing yards on 29 attempts 5.3yds/carry

Arky's numbers are inflated from the A&M game and the first half of the opener against us and SC's numbers are inflated from the UK and Vandy games. I think that all favors our defensive if the game comes down to SC's rushing. Agreed Stat, if we can keep their run game in check the first half (or make dominant adjustments at halftime like we did against Arky), we will stop Davis and crew.

Obviously Davis being hurt in the A&M game and SC giving up on the run game early, our getting gashed by Arky in the first half, and many other factors at play here.

Davis being dinged up hurt them in their season opener. He looks to be healthy coming into Jordan-Hare. If AU plays well on offense early, it could change Spurrier's approach to control the tempo of the game. The Gamecock's running game could make the difference between a 10-14 AU win or a 21-24 pt AU win. Their defense is struggling to say the least.

If Auburn is held to just 28 points, it would mean massive injuries, lots of turnovers or really bad rain.

And/or lots of Auburn penalty yardage (bs calls + others)...thus my reference above to the Miss State game theme. The only thing we control that stops Gusball is Auburn.

And/or lots of Auburn penalty yardage (bs calls + others)...thus my reference above to the Miss State game theme. The only thing we control that stops Gusball is Auburn.

Gotcha... thnx

Interesting note...

That is interesting. Especially how much more you hear about Arky's rush game ...

Thanks, interesting. I personally think Arky's running game is almost as good as Carolina's and that Arky has better O line to run behind than Carolina's. Since the final score will be 28 -24 Auburn ;)/> either both defenses will do their job against the run, or they'll have trouble stopping CAP & co. but we'll continue our theme from the Miss St game. And please, no more slow starts guys!

Interesting note...

That is interesting. Especially how much more you hear about Arky's rush game ...

Yeah, they just don't include the "in conference play" caveat when talking about that "dominating" Arkansas run game.

Archived