University of No Classes UNC

Newbomb

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/unc-academic-and-athletic-officials-steered-student-athletes-to-bogus-classes-181214478.html UNC probe reveals approximately 1,500 student-athletes took bogus classes

b2448cc7-1954-4092-af0d-5e2f488d448d_GrahamMug81.jpg

By Graham Watson 53 minutes ago Dr. Saturday

Content preferences

Done

The University of North Carolina Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes was found culpable of creating easy, non-show classes that catered to student-athletes in an effort to give them better grades.

Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official, said during a press conference Wednesday that academic counselors ushered as many as 3,100 students – approximately 1,500 of them student-athletes – into bogus classes that were geared toward keeping student-athletes eligible for play over the past 18 years (1993-2011).

The academic impropriety in Wainstein's report is far greater than previously reported by the school or to the NCAA.

Wainstein said many academic and athletic officials knew about the scheme, which began with Deborah Crowder, a longtime manager for the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, and gave student-athletes inflated grades for what Wainstein termed “paper classes.”

visit TarHeelIllustrated.com.

Embarrassing for the school......and for 18 years?

My son (a UNC-CH grad) told me recently that he took one of these courses back in the early 90s as a curiosity...turned out to be him and about 20 A-A football and basketball players. Said, that the class met a couple times, he got his A and that was that. Then he grinned at me and said..."bet you didn't know you paid for that did you?"

http://sports.yahoo....-181214478.html UNC probe reveals approximately 1,500 student-athletes took bogus classes

b2448cc7-1954-4092-af0d-5e2f488d448d_GrahamMug81.jpg

By Graham Watson 53 minutes ago Dr. Saturday

Content preferences

Done

The University of North Carolina Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes was found culpable of creating easy, non-show classes that catered to student-athletes in an effort to give them better grades.

Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official, said during a press conference Wednesday that academic counselors ushered as many as 3,100 students – approximately 1,500 of them student-athletes – into bogus classes that were geared toward keeping student-athletes eligible for play over the past 18 years (1993-2011).

The academic impropriety in Wainstein's report is far greater than previously reported by the school or to the NCAA.

Wainstein said many academic and athletic officials knew about the scheme, which began with Deborah Crowder, a longtime manager for the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, and gave student-athletes inflated grades for what Wainstein termed “paper classes.”

visit TarHeelIllustrated.com.

Wow, just wow!

If any students were receiving federal aid (ie my tax money) then there should be a federal probe of the students advisers faculty and school for fraud, and scores of people need to go to jail.

No tolerance for this activity.

Little doc

If any students were receiving federal aid (ie my tax money) then there should be a federal probe of the students advisers faculty and school for fraud, and scores of people need to go to jail.

Little doc

Agree...note that nine un-named people will be disciplined but the two major culprits are now beyond reach of the University...but as a taxpayer of North Carolina, I hope the school goes after them in some fashion. They were department heads in an untouchable area of the school....making very good money for hoodwinking the students and the school with these bogus courses ....and a good liberal school like UNC-CH would never audit or question these people and thus turned their heads and ignored the rumors for almost two decades.

This is like PSU's situation in that the guilt goes all the way up the line. A former Chancellor was fired over this a couple years ago but lots of heads should roll.

Doc is right....some folks need to be in jail when the dust settles.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been considered to be one of the top academic institutions in the nation for many years. I believe we can officially say that this distinction is now tarnished.

They are just another basketball and football diploma mill.

UNC CH should be expelled from the the Association of American Universities and lose their "Public Ivy" school reputation too. Their board and faculty would take notice of that punishment.

They are just another basketball and football diploma mill.

UNC CH should be expelled from the the Association of American Universities and lose their "Public Ivy" school reputation too. Their board and faculty would take notice of that punishment.

UNC-CH has two tracks...athletes...and the rest of the student body. Other than athletes, UNC-CH is an excellent school.....my son and son-in-law both graduated there....got very good educations at a reasonable cost. Son passed the CPA before he graduated for example...and other than athletes, it is still an extremely selective school with tough academic standards.

But, by allowing this underground program for athletes to go on for almost 2 decades ...one of the worst kept secrets on campus .......the school's administration from top down needs a major house cleaning.

JMO but they and coaches just looked at this blatant cheating as something they needed to tolerate in order to keep the school's name prominent.

Watch for it though.....a few low level fish will lose their jobs and those at the top who ignored the building scandal will see little or no penalty.

I've said on this board a number of times that everything bad I've ever read or heard about AU has been related to misdeeds in our athletic program.....and UNC-CH alums are dealing with the same issue.

AU has come close to some issues like this in the Sociology Department a while back....and I just hope our administration does not turn it's back on compromises like the UNC-CH business......or on issues like the Jameis Winston cover-ups.

I'm proud of AU every day....and I look to our top administration and AD to keep things clean..... WE

Little doc

That's a stretch to prove that they used criminal intent to defraud the government of federal funds...plus these were courses not only taken by student athletes but regular students as well

Little doc

That's a stretch to prove that they used criminal intent to defraud the government of federal funds...plus these were courses not only taken by student athletes but regular students as well

Just out of curiosity, if not fraud, what would you call it?

Allot of federal money involved. Pell Grants, Federal Loans, State and Federal Scholarships, ROTC Scholarships, Peace Core Scholarships, etc... etc...

Just throwing it out there: There are always classes that are easy grades, those of us that went to school know about this. It is also obvious that athletes get priority scheduling due to the rigors of their schedule....so who would be the majority of students enrolled in these classes.......

Just throwing it out there: There are always classes that are easy grades, those of us that went to school know about this. It is also obvious that athletes get priority scheduling due to the rigors of their schedule....so who would be the majority of students enrolled in these classes.......

True...but under the new rules players are supposed be "on track" to graduate which means they need a major and can't just shop around all over the curriculum looking for the easy classes. Sooner or later it catches up with them. UNC_CH had created entire majors that had a large number of not just "easy" classes but virtually non existent classes. The results were obvious when the ring-leader retired.... the football cumulative GPA dropped to the lowest level in 10 years according to one article I read.

Meanwhile, most of those BB players had academic waivers...could not have gotten in UNC-CH otherwise....and all of a sudden they were making A's.... and the coaches act like they did not know what was going on.....give me a break.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been considered to be one of the top academic institutions in the nation for many years. I believe we can officially say that this distinction is now tarnished.

My thoughts too. Quite the black eye for a great academic institution.

Guest jojo1515

They should have to back and forfeit every win or tie that every one of these players played in....2 decades worth would sure put a damper on the record books :0

Guest jojo1515

They should have to back and forfeit every win or tie that every one of these players played in....2 decades worth would sure put a damper on the record books :0

There was a conspiracy to keep students in school that were in danger of losing their federal assistance. There is a difference in easy classes and being referred by

advisors to certain faculty simply to maintain eligibility. The faculty and the school benefited financially by their deception.

There was a conspiracy to keep students in school that were in danger of losing their federal assistance. There is a difference in easy classes and being referred by

advisors to certain faculty simply to maintain eligibility. The faculty and the school benefited financially by their deception.

Conspiracy....absolutely...that's the correct word and that's why some people ought to go to jail.

This was not a handful of low level people pulling this off....it was sanctioned (sub rosa) all over the university for two decades by top coaches and academic leaders. Nobody wanted to look the people running the program and nobody wondered why a bunch of players who were barely able to qualify (or had academic waivers) were able to make As and Bs at a top academic university. The Roy Williams piece yesterday made me want to throw up.

Archived