Should we give an assist to Mike Slive?

InfernoOrangeSS

B. Pearl said something interesting in a recent interview. He stated that JJ see's Slive as a mentor type figure and wants to make sure he does him proud. He also said that Slive had made the SEC basketball progress an issue at a meeting. Could this have been the impetus of JJ pulling off one of the greatest hires ever in AU Athletic history?

It just made me think. I could be wrong, but I find it an interesting angle.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Mike Slive earned my permanent disdain for not uttering one word on AU's behalf during the Cam Newton travesty. Not even a single "lets wait until the facts are in". When asked if it was over, he said "I don't have a letter to that effect." when it was all over but the typing of the letter. If he ever made a public statement that Auburn did nothing wrong and had been cleared of all the false accusations, I'm not aware of it.

The only assist Slive would get from me is a kick in the pants on his way down the steps.

I didn't say you give him an assist. I said he was part of the reason that JJ acted so boldly. As for the whole Cam situation, I leave things like that in the past mostly.

I didn't say you give him an assist. I said he was part of the reason that JJ acted so boldly. As for the whole Cam situation, I leave things like that in the past mostly.

Some of us leave those things in the past, and some of us fall into the "Fergit Hell!" dept. I'll never forget the feeling in the stadium when AU blocked those two punts in '72, and I'll never forget how Slive failed to lift even one finger to aid an SEC team that was unjustly attacked. With a long memory, you get to have the sweet but you've got to take the bitter with it. :)

The point of this thread was thoughts on Slive influencing JJ's decision making, not personal feelings towards Slive. Thanks.

The point of this thread was thoughts on Slive influencing JJ's decision making, not personal feelings towards Slive. Thanks.

Then no, I don't think Slive's attitude towards SEC basketball had anything to do with JJ hiring Slive. TPTB on the AU board of trustees and in the administration had some influence on the decision, but thinking Slive's thoughts had anything to do with it is quite a stretch. JJ wanted a winner and TPTB gave the OK for JJ to go out on a limb and take a chance that Pearl will walk the straight and narrow at AU.

Then no, I don't think Slive's attitude towards SEC basketball had anything to do with JJ hiring Slive. TPTB on the AU board of trustees and in the administration had some influence on the decision, but thinking Slive's thoughts had anything to do with it is quite a stretch. JJ wanted a winner and TPTB gave the OK for JJ to go out on a limb and take a chance that Pearl will walk the straight and narrow at AU.

Agree 100%. I will also hold judgment on being the greatest hire.

Valid points.

I had heard Slive wanted a better showing in SEC BB. JJ is very close to Slive and sees him as a mentor. I thought that may have been his prodding point to go for a "Big Name" coach.

Your points also make it clear that JJ had to go big or go home.

Archived