NFL Scout Grades on AU-MSU

1TexasTiger

Interesting stuff.

Sammy really got hurt by that PI call, it appears.

And Marshall at a 4.7 should definitely be replaced by JJ.

I keed, I keed.

Agree that Frost played an excellent game. My dad and I got into a debate on who was misaligned (or made the post-snap mistake) between him and Holsey on Prescott's second TD run. I thought Holsey was out of position and made a poor effort to get into the right lane. My dad thought Frost left the back door open. I'm guessing these guys read the play the same way I did, which is probably a decent chunk of Holsey's poor run defense rating.

From this Auburn should have won, just saying

If we don't turn the ball over 3 times in the first quarter we would've.

This is pretty interesting. It goes to show that MSU isn't quite as dominant and superb as they appear and Auburn might actually be a bit better than we, even as fans, are giving credit for. I'll admit, I was pretty hard on Marshall for his performance in that game. I still have an issue with his overthrows. But the more you consider it and the more you break it down, he actually played a pretty good game. Still think he could have played better in the moment but alas, he didn't get a whole heap of help from his teammates either.

Pretty much confirms what we know about Dismukes and Williams and shows how poorly Sammie has been playing compared to his potential. Looks like we've got the ability to be even better. Here's hoping we do just that on Saturday!

I would love to see these scout grades become a fixture on our site throughout the season. The question is, how much do they put their grades of Auburn on the Internet?

Agree that Frost played an excellent game. My dad and I got into a debate on who was misaligned (or made the post-snap mistake) between him and Holsey on Prescott's second TD run. I thought Holsey was out of position and made a poor effort to get into the right lane. My dad thought Frost left the back door open. I'm guessing these guys read the play the same way I did, which is probably a decent chunk of Holsey's poor run defense rating.

They miss graded that play in particular, Frost was unblocked on the play and we had one more than they could block, absolutely no way he should stroll untouched on that play.

Valley, I still think Holsey was totally out of position and made very little effort to work back into his run fit. Frost could've made the play but he only would've done so by also being out of position (aka gambling) or making an incredible play. That was my read. Holsey took himself out if the play and that was his gap. Without actually knowing the assignments, it's guesswork.

Hey look at that both Frost and McKinzy grade above-average. Where's Mikey trollolol?

Right here, and still wondering when, if ever, you will have something positive to add to this forum. Second guessing with 20-20 hindsight based on one game is right at the peak of your contributions.

Hey look at that both Frost and McKinzy grade above-average. Where's Mikey trollolol?

Right here, and still wondering when, if ever, you will have something positive to add to this forum. Second guessing with 20-20 hindsight based on one game is right at the peak of your contributions.

Mikey it wasn't metafour doing the grading it was professional scouts. So he is basing his statements on fact. I agree we need two stud Linebackers every year as it is the most difficult D position to play, but when you can't give Frost his due when he plays well means you are wearing blinders

Valley, I still think Holsey was totally out of position and made very little effort to work back into his run fit. Frost could've made the play but he only would've done so by also being out of position (aka gambling) or making an incredible play. That was my read. Holsey took himself out if the play and that was his gap. Without actually knowing the assignments, it's guesswork.

Coach Crowe and Rob Pate did a breakdown of this play on the 10/15 episode of Auburn Intel, and they agree that Frost shoulders the blame on this particular play. Dak did an excellent job of selling the perimeter run to Frost which got him out of position before Dak cut up field.

Regardless, we had the chalk board advantage on the play, but we didn't execute.

There has been a big dropoff this year from Robinson to Coleman also. I expected there to be a dropoff, just not as large as what has occurred. .

That's why he was the number 2 pic in the draft

Greg Robinson wasn't GREG ROBINSON in 2012 either. Coleman has talent, but he's struggled, particularly in pass protection. I suspect the coaches think he has the same type of ceiling as Greg. You have to live through the growing pains to reap the reward.

Valley, that's interesting. I didn't see Coach's and Pate's breakdown. Is it available online? I'd like to see where they differ with me.

There has been a big dropoff this year from Robinson to Coleman also. I expected there to be a dropoff, just not as large as what has occurred. .

I called this right after Robinson declared. People expecting a kid who was coming back from a battle with cancer to "match" the production of a dominant force of nature who would go on to be selected 2nd overall are slightly delusional, to say the least.

I suspect the coaches think he has the same type of ceiling as Greg

I don't, and I doubt they do either. With all due respect to Coleman, he can't come close to matching Robinson's physicality at the point of attack...very few can.

I don't know that people around the program agree with you. He's a brute force, and he's been really good as a run blocker. His biggest issues have been, by far, pass protection.

Greg was, I'm almost sure, our most penalized lineman in 2012. He got to skate through the rough patches because that team was awful so no one really cared if he was struggling. Shon's issues get put under the microscope because we have SEC championship aspirations. The limited number of folks I know around the team really think (or at least thought) Shon's ceiling was as a first or second round guy. He's definitely got the measureables to fit into that group. Only time will tell if he can develop in that manner, but I don't think physicality at the point is going to be the thing holding him back. Lateral quickness, ability to finish/hold blocks, agility... those are all bigger questions to me.

Greg was, I'm almost sure, our most penalized lineman in 2012.

More than one of those penalties came on plays in which he pancaked his man so badly that it looked like he was throwing a rag-doll around. He had some false start penalties, but his overall per-snap effectiveness was never dented by his penalties, that is how dominant he was.

Coleman has talent, but he's simply not in Robinson's league in terms of strength or pure overall athleticism. We're talking about a guy that ran a 4.85 at 332 pounds and jumped 9'5". The only linemen at the Combine that matched or beat his broad jump were 20+ pounds lighter. His explosiveness at 330 pounds is absurd, which is why he was able to completely mow guys down in the run game.

Archived