Offensive concerns moving foward

StatTiger

Looking at 15 primary statistical categories, here is how Auburn currently ranks in 2014 compared to 2013. Because the statistical rankings (national) are from the completed 2013 season and one-half of the 2014 season, the comparison is skewed. However it does provide some insight to where Auburn stands through 6 games and the direction they need to go moving forward.

I think most fans will agree the offense has played well for the most part but there is a feeling of a lack of consistency. Regardless of what the numbers might show, the coaches have recently admitted there are certain aspects of execution the Tigers need to improve upon. These were issues addressed during the recent bye-week.

Here are of the offensive national rankings. The categories are sorted from the most improved from 2013 to 2014 to the least.

StatBD_zps0dff8629.jpg

The first item that immediately stands out is the lack of production on first-down. Three of the four lowest national rankings this season is relative to first down production. Coach Rhett Lashlee recently commented on this particular area. Overall Auburn is 52nd in yards per play on first down, which is a 41 point drop from last season's No. 11 ranking. Broken down, the run-offense on first-down is No. 34 this season compared to No. 3 in 2013. Pass-efficiency on first-down has suffered the worst, currently ranked at No. 89 nationally, a drop of 60 points from last season's No. 29 ranking.

Thus far Auburn has an overall national ranking of No. 26, which is very good. This includes a top-20 ranking in 7 of the 15 categories and 10 in the nation's top-25. Logic would dictate that improved production on first-down, would likely improve Auburn's national rankings in the majority of the above categories. The good news is that Auburn has actually improved on third-down offense, despite the drop in production on first-down. They are also productive in generating first downs and impact plays. There is a drop in big play production, which will be something to watch for moving forward.

The next concern is the turnover ranking of No. 52, which is based on the average number of turnovers given up per game. This was one of the primary reasons why Auburn is no longer undefeated. The next area of concern is the No. 27 ranking in TD percentage within the red zone. The ranking itself is far from being horrible but a notable drop from last year's No. 13 ranking. Once again, this is an area related to first-down production, primarily the run-offense on first-down. Had Auburn taken care of the football and was more productive inside the RZ against MSU, they would have likely left Starville with a victory.

Next up.... Defensive breakdown

Stat you hit the nail on the head with this breakdown. Great total numbers but an issue on 1st down consistency. Having 2nd and short puts O in the drivers seat.

Thank you Stat, for the fascinating breakdowns.

After reading both the Offensive & Defensive concern breakdowns and going by my own personal eye test (aka, my humble opinion) it seems AU's two greatest challenges moving forward this year will be how much improvement they can get in BOTH lines. My take.... Fix the issue of having too many 2nd and Longs (offensively) and getting pressure on the QB via standard means (defensive line) will probably fix a lot of genuine AND perceived ailments.

The only thing "negative" I'll say is that I'm puzzled with this struggle from both lines since they (especially D-Line) have been a particular strength in recruiting the last few years. Seems to me that the talent is there.....but something just ain't clicking on all cylinders. On the O-Line, I'll go with injuries and early departures...OK. But on D-Line, 1 player going down (Carl Lawson) should not completely negate all ability to generate a pass rush.

We make a first down we hurry to the line and send CAP up the middle. The opponents have figured that one out and it doesn't go anywhere. Thus lack of production on first down.

We make a first down we hurry to the line and send CAP up the middle. The opponents have figured that one out and it doesn't go anywhere. Thus lack of production on first down.

Seems to me that after making a first down and hurrying to the line for the next play would open up the perfect opportunities for jet sweeps to CG or statue of liberty plays. I would agree that Up the Middle with CAP is a little predictable.

Seems to me that after making a first down and hurrying to the line for the next play would open up the perfect opportunities for jet sweeps to CG or statue of liberty plays. I would agree that Up the Middle with CAP is a little predictable.

Gus likes to run plays back to back as well when he feels like he has rhythm. We did it against the crimson necks last year a lot but this year no rhythm and sometimes it goes nowhere. Confident they are making adjustments.

Gus likes to run plays back to back as well when he feels like he has rhythm. We did it against the crimson necks last year a lot but this year no rhythm and sometimes it goes nowhere. Confident they are making adjustments.

Exactly. Since rhythm seems to be lacking, then try something new. With that said, I agree totally that the coaching staff is making the right adjustments. This week off (even though after a disheartening loss) came at a great time!

Guest jojo1515

Thank you Stat, for the fascinating breakdowns.

After reading both the Offensive & Defensive concern breakdowns and going by my own personal eye test (aka, my humble opinion) it seems AU's two greatest challenges moving forward this year will be how much improvement they can get in BOTH lines. My take.... Fix the issue of having too many 2nd and Longs (offensively) and getting pressure on the QB via standard means (defensive line) will probably fix a lot of genuine AND perceived ailments.

The only thing "negative" I'll say is that I'm puzzled with this struggle from both lines since they (especially D-Line) have been a particular strength in recruiting the last few years. Seems to me that the talent is there.....but something just ain't clicking on all cylinders. On the O-Line, I'll go with injuries and early departures...OK. But on D-Line, 1 player going down (Carl Lawson) should not completely negate all ability to generate a pass rush.

On the lines both needing some improvement, they practice against each other...so it would make sense that if one was lacking in production in practice that it could affect the other I suppose.

Archived