Defensive concerns moving foward

StatTiger

In Part II of Moving Forward, here is how the defense breaks down compared to 2013. Once again this is a 2014 mid-season comparison to the 2013 completed season, so the rankings are skewed to a degree. However, it does give us a general idea of how much the defense has appeared to have improved.

The national rankings...

DefenseDiff_zps16e11f1a.jpg

Overall we see an average ranking of No. 33 nationally from the 15 statistical categories, compared to the No. 62 average ranking in 2013. Auburn is currently in the top-25 of 7 of the 15 categories, with a 34-point + swing in 8 categories. The most notable turnarounds comes in the forced-turnovers, limiting of big plays allowed, total defense and pass-efficiency defense.

There are no glaring drops in defense, with RZ TD percentage being the worst drop in production. There was a drop in pass-efficiency defense and third-down percentage but both categories at least remain in the nation's top-25. The yards allowed per play on first-down can be contributed to the No. 87 ranking in pass-efficiency defense on first-down.

There should be no doubt the defense has continued to improve this season but the DL remains a concern in terms of establishing a pass-rush. With Auburn having to face 5 remaining opponents currently averaging over 430-yards per game on offense, the defense is about to be truly challenged to close out the regular season. Though Ellis Johnson has looked at some possible personnel changes (during bye-week) to give the Tigers some additional speed on the edge, I believe Auburn is limited to what they can improve upon in regards to the pass-rush from the front-4.

The key for the remainder of the season will be the continued trend of forcing turnovers, limiting big plays and playing well on pass-defense. Climbing back into the top-20 of RZ TD Pct would be a major plus for the Auburn defense moving forward.

Stat as you know Statistics can be mis-leading when not taken in context. I like you believe D is playing much better this year. One statistic I would like to see is a game by game comparison by that I mean you look at MSU and compare MSU average yards per game on O, turn overs on O, etc versus what they did against Auburn.

Comparing Statistics nationally doesn't take into consideration the quality of your opponents. As an example while last years D was not great in big game like FSU, Mizzou, Bama we held them under their averages.

The D is much improved! I would love to have seen this D with Carl rushing from DE.

Hopefully, next year he'll be 100% and one or two of the youngins will be excellent pass rushers too. AU football future is bright!!!

Skewed to a degree is right.

Do you not think the defense is improved? I know how negative you are about CEJ. In watching it seems you are compelled to puke on every thread that points out anything positive about our defense. Why is that?

Do you not think the defense is improved? I know how negative you are about CEJ. In watching it seems you are compelled to puke on every thread that points out anything positive about our defense. Why is that?

Consider the source....and don't worry about it....JMO

The statistical evidence shows VAST improvement for the defense this year! I'm confident our schedule so far is more difficult than most of the rest of the country at this point. We have held our opponents to below their avg (and well below their avg in some cases)

There is no logical or reasonable basis whatsoever for anyone to suggest our D is not better this year than any D we've fielded in the last 4 years.

Anyone who says such nonsense should simply be ignored. Arguing with them is as fruitless as trying to herd cats or smelling the number yellow.

The statistical evidence shows VAST improvement for the defense this year! I'm confident our schedule so far is more difficult than most of the rest of the country at this point. We have held our opponents to below their avg (and well below their avg in some cases)

There is no logical or reasonable basis whatsoever for anyone to suggest our D is not better this year than any D we've fielded in the last 4 years.

Anyone who says such nonsense should simply be ignored. Arguing with them is as fruitless as trying to herd cats or smelling the number yellow.

Or castigated and called nuts............

I don't think our defense remembered we have the rest of the season to go. They haven't even shown up yet. Carolina is moving the ball with no difficulty.

Guest jojo1515

You were saying? ;)

A lot of concerns. We will be lucky to win this and another game. Call me what u want. But we are not an elite team. If you think different . you are not watching Auburn

The word ELITE is overrated. Win one game at a time, as long as you can. It's going to look downright ugly at times, but often uglier on message boards than in the line of battle. No slight to you, Dubb, for it is frustrating. I just know for me, I have to gain positive yardage by punting my expectations to the one yard line... then I'll be free to be pleasantly surprised. Losing enjoyment of it is too high a price to pay. And the OLE BALL COACH has still never won a game in Auburn! Found a way to win again!

I really thought the defense was coming into its own after K-State, but the last two weeks are a harsh reminder that it's still in year two of a slow grind process of trying to undo 4 seasons of atrocious defensive play.

Only thing worse than 7 SEC officials are 8 of them. How could they miss so many calls with ability to almost put an official on every player.

Terrible...>SEC should be ashamed.

Only thing worse than 7 SEC officials are 8 of them. How could they miss so many calls with ability to almost put an official on every player.

The names of EVERY official and the penalties they throw flags on should be posted online for everyone to see.

I really thought the defense was coming into its own after K-State, but the last two weeks are a harsh reminder that it's still in year two of a slow grind process of trying to undo 4 seasons of atrocious defensive play.

Good point, and our Cinderella year last year put this reality to sleep for a season. As well as shot our expectations off the chart...

This was worse the Miss St. as we stopped Miss St. a few times and had some takeaways. Today the D got schooled some of that was the Ole Ball Coach. I am one of the ones who thinks the D has been playing pretty well this year. I still think it is a good D but now thay have to show it. As the old saying go we need to win the games one at a time.

You know it's bad when even WT calls it into question.

Defensive concerns?? Uh yeah, I've got some concerns with our "D". Best thing about our defense is that they play on the same team with our O. :)

Defense has regressed, BAD!! We could only stop one fourth down attempt all night, including a 4th and 8.

SCU was 5 for 6 on 4th down conversions! Shows you how much respect Spurrier has for Eliis Johnson and our Defense.

No way to sugarcoat this folks, our Defense is our Offense.

You know it's bad when even WT calls it into question.

How does official stand over ball as play clock runs? The NO penalty play? wth? Help our opponents all they can. No number called on hands to facemask call?

Archived