The Ole Ball Coach

Weegle777

I didn't follow him at Florida, but have loved watching him at SC. He is a phenomenal coach who clearly loves the game and his players. How Coach Malzahn feels about him speaks volumes. Great post, Weegs, and War Eagle!

Always liked HBC, even when he was in his prime at UF and rolling over folks. Just a really funny guy who happens to be a offensive genius. He's actually mellowed out quite nicely. Glad weve got that winning streak on him though. :)

You gotta give the guy credit tonight. He had a great game plan and took advantage of what we gave him.

I have always respected him as an offensive coach. I haven't always liked him, although I do like him now.

Yeah, I used to hate him at UF.

He always seemed to beat some directional school 63-0.

Then one day I heard him say that it wasn't his job to keep his team from scoring. That made a lot of sense to me. I always used to let up a little if I got ahead of someone in something competitive. I always liked playing against people who were better than I was, since then I could give my unrestrained best. But what Spurrier said showed me something about me. Why was I making myself perform worse just to play down to my competition? That wasn't my job.

Anyway, after that, I sorta started to like him, unless we were playing UF.

Now I like him. But I also like beating him.

;D

Yeah, I used to hate him at UF.

He always seemed to beat some directional school 63-0.

Then one day I heard him say that it wasn't his job to keep his team from scoring. That made a lot of sense to me. I always used to let up a little if I got ahead of someone in something competitive. I always liked playing against people who were better than I was, since then I could give my unrestrained best. But what Spurrier said showed me something about me. Why was I making myself perform worse just to play down to my competition? That wasn't my job.

Anyway, after that, I sorta started to like him, unless we were playing UF.

Now I like him. But I also like beating him.

;D

Yeah Spurrier is a competitor. Even when we blew them out 48-7 in 2005. They were down 48-0 in the 4th quarter and Spurrier was still coaching his team and wanting them to compete instead of just laying down. Spurrier gave a sarcastic fist pump after they finally scored their only touchdown in that game in 2005. He still coaches whether he's up 40 points or down 40 points. That's just his mentality and I like that about him.

USCe has been in the SEC for 23 years and never beaten Auburn. 0-7 Is the record for USCe vs Auburn in the SEC.

Spurrier has been at USCe for 10 years and is 0-5 against Auburn.

I think the ole ball coach wanted to pull off one more win over Auburn, He'll be 70 years old next year and he may not be coaching at USCe the next time Auburn rotates onto the USCe schedule.

Coach Spurrier looked like he was in his element last night . He looked like he was having fun out there and it was a joy to watch two coaches dual it out. With that much competitive drive left, I don't see spurrier walking away from the game soon

No question ...he kicked our ass....less talent all over the place but we did not have much of an answer for him. His game plan for AU was outstanding....took advantage of every defensive weakness.

What a great game but about gave me heart failure.

I hope he didn't give everyone else the blueprint to making our Def. look bad. I don't know what to think about this game. I hope it was just great coaching but my fear is that we got exposed.

I hope he didn't give everyone else the blueprint to making our Def. look bad. I don't know what to think about this game. I hope it was just great coaching but my fear is that we got exposed.

JMO but it was more than his game plan....he just seemed to have the magic....making last second changes to the play calls when we made adjustments, going for it on 4th down 5 times I think it was. I mean, how many coaches will go for it on 4th down at their own 30 at critical times?

We have our problems for certain but AU's defense stopped USCe on 3rd down a good percent of the time....it was the OBC's playing 4 down ball almost every time we stopped them on 3rd down that paid dividends. I don't see any future opponent doing that.

I'm less discouraged by the D than some on this board.

Im just relieved, to some extent, that we dont have to face him again. Maybe never again but not for a long time anyway. Obviously he's a great coach, hasn't always had nice things to say about Auburn - that he does now just shows his respect for Gus. Press on!

Last night's Spurrier is the one I thought we would see in the 2010 SEC Title Game but never materialized. Last night was a clinic on how to dismantle a defense and take chances to give an underdog a shot at winning. Our D played poorly but some credit goes to Spurrier no doubt.

JMO but it was more than his game plan....he just seemed to have the magic....making last second changes to the play calls when we made adjustments, going for it on 4th down 5 times I think it was. I mean, how many coaches will go for it on 4th down at their own 30 at critical times?

We have our problems for certain but AU's defense stopped USCe on 3rd down a good percent of the time....it was the OBC's playing 4 down ball almost every time we stopped them on 3rd down that paid dividends. I don't see any future opponent doing that.

This....we would have scored most every time that we got the ball. He took 5 offensive possessions, with his 4th down plays, away from us and avoided a blowout. Our D stepped up and made a few plays. SS is a great coach and his game plan kept them in the game.

This.

I have always liked CSS. He Is a great coach no doubt. Last night SC was 6 of 14 on 3rd down, that in itself is good. Problem was they went 5 of 6 on 4th down. When was the last time you saw a team go for 6 forth downs in a game ? When teams get desperate at the end of a game a lot of times are successful. Had that first one had failed the score would have been a slaughter. WDE

Whatever it was magic, etc. , you cant bottle it and sell it.

He's totally different now than the visor throwing anger management candidate that accused everybody else in the league of running corrupt programs while his UF squads were loaded with convicts & slime balls. That fact flew under the radar because Bowden and UM were even worse in the 1990s. Age tends to mellow and teach perspective. Classy guy...now.

In the 2000 SEC championship game Florida could have beaten us 221-12 but Spurrier throttled his offense back big time. He has always seemed to have respect/affinity for Auburn.

Meanwhile, did anyone catch the interview with Les Miles coming off the field after getting a huge "W" the day after his mother died?

There are some really awesome coaches in this great league.

Exactly. Facing Spurrier's mind set in our game made me think of being attacked by Kamikaze's.

Archived