'Drama' On the Final Play

ShocksMyBrain

They penalized us enough from no calls and the phantom no penalty play.

^^ This. In my mind it was justice. Yes it was illegal, but so were the bogus calls and no calls that almost cost us the game.

That one no call may have been our ONLY piece of luck in the game. I know there are no real high-definition reviews on questionable calls during a game because the only source is the TV cameras. The worst luck was (to me) the onside kick that according to my old weary eyes, seemed to have definitely changed rotation when it nicked the knee/leg of SC player. Unfortunately it did not change trajectory enough to be noticed but it definitely touched their player. Just my opinion.

That one no call may have been our ONLY piece of luck in the game. I know there are no real high-definition reviews on questionable calls during a game because the only source is the TV cameras. The worst luck was (to me) the onside kick that according to my old weary eyes, seemed to have definitely changed rotation when it nicked the knee/leg of SC player. Unfortunately it did not change trajectory enough to be noticed but it definitely touched their player. Just my opinion.

What a brilliant call from the HBC. Glad they weren't able to convert it to points.

That onside kick never touched anybody unit it went 10 yards. It was just a bounce that favored south carolina that it didn't touch anybody..

That onside kick never touched anybody unit it went 10 yards. It was just a bounce that favored south carolina that it didn't touch anybody..

It was perfect.

Very well executed by them and very poorly executed by us.

Monty and Duke were both in on the same play.

Obviously, we are cheating and paid the refs. ;)

Not really sure how that was missed.

If that's true, we are going to need our $ back as we were misled. This was another example of bad officiation going against AU. I think it was on par or even more so than against MSU. We need to find who the $ goes to in the "officials" office and find a way to get it to them. It is obvious now after these last 2 games, we have somehow upset them.

I really do not think the coaches were trying to get even or anything close to that nature. We can joke about getting even because of the horrible officiating, but the coaches would not jeopardize the last play of the game when they were just trying to get out of the game. I think it was unintentional. A mere slip up as our coaches were totally thinking about the inevitable game deciding hailmary that was coming! BTW, I loved the idea of putting Duke into the game in that situation. However, he needs to swat the ball. We were lucky that wasn't a chicken that caught the ball behind him! Needless to say, we need to get him another jersey ready for if that situation ever appears again.

It was perfect.

The Auburn player nearest to the ball, I think he expected a bounce. He never really attacked it until the gamecock player was pretty much over it.

It was perfect.

The Auburn player nearest to the ball, I think he expected a bounce. He never really attacked it until the gamecock player was pretty much over it.

It was so perfectly placed the SC player was able to get in front of it and wait. A perfectly executed onside kick.

It is interesting that the last time Auburn played USCe was in 2011 in Columbia and that game ended in controversy. The game ended as USCe made a throw for a first down and the clock ran out as the refs spotted the ball. Spurrier appealed but got denied, game over.

http://archive.wltx.com/news/article/153741/86/Auburn-Defeats-USC-16-13-Games-Ending-Controversial

South Carolina advanced to Auburn's 29 on its final possession before time expired, though Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier argued that clock should have stopped with 1 second left after a completed pass for a first down.

Spurrier said he was told that receiver Bruce Ellington's knee touched the ground when the clock had run out. "That's what he told me. I said, 'Wait a minute now, don't you review that?'" Spurrier said.

That on sides kick was payback by the OBC....AU has pulled a couple of them on USCe over the years and recovered them....saw Tubs do that in Columbia after scoring on the opening drive of the second half.....and USCe offense never touched the football in the entire third quarter of the game.

Why all the double numbers anyways. There are 99 total options. I don't remember this being an issue years ago.

Why all the double numbers anyways. There are 99 total options. I don't remember this being an issue years ago.

That's so we can give more kids their favorite numbers.

As for the double numbers, it's more of an issue on offense....who wants to try and cover 3 guys wearing #1 on a pass route. ? While it's a rule, it has far less potential impact on the defensive side of the ball...but trust some ESPN or SEC Network announcers to act as if that was the turning point in the game.

To have 2 guys on the field at the same time wearing #1? when I saw Duke coming in, I thought oh no, we're going to get flagged for this.

Other than the duplicate numbers on field, I think it was brilliant putting Duke in the backfield like that.

Yep, probably nobody better at getting his hands on a ball under duress.

IF, and I emphasize IF, a person closer to the ball than anyone here disagreed with the onsides kick ruling, why did Gus waste his challenge and lose a timeout.

Archived