Why are we having a problem getting a pass rush????

tigerman1186

What seems to be the problem??? Is it because all we do is 'bull rush'??? Do we do any 'twists' up front…it seems others are able to get a rush…I like our D-Lineman, feel they're talented, but we aren't getting enough pressure…need it next week, v. Ole Miss...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because we have recruited poorly on the DL since Chizik was coach. Wright and Blackson should be playing FCS level. Neither would play at another SEC school. And the JUCOs have not really developed.

We have talent, but it is young.

uuuuuuuummmm, because we have no pass rushers. Losing Dee Ford and Carl Lawson killed us. I've been very disappointed with Elijah Daniel.

We do stunt some but it doesn't matter, we still don't get pressure. I am not sure what the issue is. I know Coach Garner is a good coach, one of the best DL coaches. It may be the talent is just not there. But these guys were mostly 4* HS players. It may just be a lack of effort. They did start getting pressure at the end when it mattered the most. Maybe there is a philosophy difference between Coach Johnson and Coach Garner and we are seeing a BBQ gang vs Coach Franklin situation. I don't know. It has to get resolved though because it has really been revealed to everyone now.

We do stunt some but it doesn't matter, we still don't get pressure. I am not sure what the issue is. I know Coach Garner is a good coach, one of the best DL coaches. It may be the talent is just not there. But these guys were mostly 4* HS players. It may just be a lack of effort. They did start getting pressure at the end when it mattered the most. Maybe there is a philosophy difference between Coach Johnson and Coach Garner and we are seeing a BBQ gang vs Coach Franklin situation. I don't know. It has to get resolved though because it has really been revealed to everyone now.

I really didn't see a lack of effort.

I see a lot of hand fighting with the OLinemen. Even Jesse Palmer talked about Gabe Wright looking great one play and then taking 10 plays off. I'm not really saying it is a lack of effort, I was just throwing out possibilities.

Here's the rub. We lost Dee and then Carl before the season, our two best edge rushers. We needed guys like Ladarious Owens, Elijah Daniel, Lambert, President to step up and they haven't. PERIOD. POINT BLANK. END OF STORY. Monty Adams can't do it by himself on the interior.

I see a lot of hand fighting with the OLinemen. Even Jesse Palmer talked about Gabe Wright looking great one play and then taking 10 plays off. I'm not really saying it is a lack of effort, I was just throwing out possibilities.

I mentioned this very thing in the uk and moo state thread. We dance with the oline while I see uk sheds blocks and attack the ball

All I know is that I'm scared to death about the rest of the season. We'll have to out score/intercept our way to victory for the rest of the season if we want any more quality wins.

Here's the rub. We lost Dee and then Carl before the season, our two best edge rushers. We needed guys like Ladarious Owens, Elijah Daniel, Lambert, President to step up and they haven't. PERIOD. POINT BLANK. END OF STORY. Monty Adams can't do it by himself on the interior.

Mont is playing with tremendous effort, and it really shows.

Pretty much the answer. Doesn't look like we'll be getting any help anytime soon either. No top rushers in the current recruiting class. 2016 is the soonest it looks like.

Owens was a LB prospect. He can't seem to make the adjustment. President was a 3* DE and has gotten very limited playing time. Lambert and Daniel are still learning and frankly more suited as DTs IMO as are almost all of the current eligible DLinemen. We have Thornton and Williams more than likely redshirting at this point. I'm hoping next year will be a turning point for our DEs and DTs.

Another key is that we did not disguise our blitz at all tonight. When we did blitz, they showed it early and and gave Thompson time to look to the sideline and change the play or set the protection. I am not the kind of poster that complains about coaches, but that is something that could have easily been corrected.

All I know is that I'm scared to death about the rest of the season. We'll have to out score/intercept our way to victory for the rest of the season if we want any more quality wins.

Yup, me too.

I was really hoping (and still do) that Adams would develop into a Warren Sapp/ Nick Fairly type of pass rusher. Just hasn't happened. He is great at clogging up the middle but he was on the ground a lot last night in pass rush situations. Gonna be a long rest of the season if we don't find a way to get to the quarterback and blitzes are less effective when the offense knows they are coming on almost every play. We play 3 very average quarterbacks in our final road games, but they can't be allowed to just stand back there and pick us apart. Somebody got to bring the heat!!

What? No conspiracy? No lazy players? No stupid coaching? That's not interesting at all. That's too simple. ~sarcasm off~ You nailed it, brother.

I was really hoping (and still do) that Adams would develop into a Warren Sapp/ Nick Fairly type of pass rusher. Just hasn't happened. He is great at clogging up the middle but he was on the ground a lot last night in pass rush situations. Gonna be a long rest of the season if we don't find a way to get to the quarterback and blitzes are less effective when the offense knows they are coming on almost every play. We play 3 very average quarterbacks in our final road games, but they can't be allowed to just stand back there and pick us apart. Somebody got to bring the heat!!

Monty is the only one with a rush and is constantly double teamed. That should allow our others to get back there and they are not playing on a SEC level. With the exception of 1 yr we've done a poor job on the d-front. Seems like we should be able to get these rush ends that are going to 3-4 teams. That is confusing.

Archived