South Carolina Postgame Numbers & Thoughts

StatTiger

I expected the game might be close at halftime with Auburn pulling away during the second-half, via their run-offense. With basically 3 weeks to prepare for the Auburn defense, I thought we would see some new wrinkles by the Gamecock offense but I did not expect Steve Spurrier to give his team every possible chance to make it a ball game. He took some major risks, when it came to the six fourth-down calls and onside-kick but it almost paid off for what he himself, stated would have been his biggest victory of coaching career. When South Carolina gambled on their first fourth-down play at their own 33-yard line, he made it clear his offense was going to let it all hang out.

Auburn was expected to be able to run on the Gamecock defense, which is why they were nearly a 3-touchdown favorite to win the game. Spurrier minus a defense, basically gave his team every chance to win tonight, which is all can you ask of any great football coach. If not for their struggles inside the red zone and three turnovers, the Gamecocks would have been victorious in carrying out Spurrier's plan of attack against Auburn. Steve Spurrier deserves every word of praise he has received during his coaching career but has been far more likeable during his tenure at South Carolina than Florida. His teams have always been competitive but he was won more with coaching at South Carolina than he did at Florida.

The Auburn offense carried the team tonight, which had the same kind of feel we witnessed during the 2013 season. The run-offense looked unstoppable against the Gamecocks and the defense made critical plays in situational play. This was the formula for success last season, especially during the big games. Not sure what Ellis Johnson can do at this point to establish a better pass-rush but rushing only three certainly is not the answering. There were times Johnson dialed up a late defender (4th rusher) just before the snap but their were 5-6 times during the game, Auburn only came with 3 pass-rushers period. This cannot be the case moving forward, especially against Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Alabama.

Inside the Numbers:

• Cameron Artis-Payne had perhaps his best game of the season. He was quick to the hole and extremely physical, when it was needed the most. He now increases his rushing totals to 831-yards on the season, which could translate to a 1500-yard season in 13-games.
  • Nick Marshall did a great job checking down to his shorter routes this week, taking what the defense was willing to give. He finished the night, 12 of 14 for 139-yards to go along with his 89-yards rushing and 4 touchdowns combined.
  • Ricardo Louis is a big and fast, north and south offensive player. He has been inconsistent as a pass-catcher but I thought Malzahn did a great job of making his presence known this week. If not for the speed-sweeps this week, Louis would have been an afterthought on offense with 1 reception for 7-yards. By utilizing him in the perimeter run-offense, Louis finished with 102-yards rushing 3 carries, making a major impact in the outcome of the game. Opposing teams have taken away the Grant speed-sweeps so Malzahn brought it back with a change in personnel groupings.
  • Kris Frost had a huge game against South Carolina. He finished the game with 14 stops of which 11 were solo tackles. The last time an Auburn LB had at least 11 solo tackles in a game was Travis Williams (2004) vs. Ole Miss.
  • Eight different Auburn Tigers were involved in an impact play against the Gamecocks. This is amazing considering Auburn had only 8 offensive possessions during the game.
  • The 8 offensive possessions was the fewest number of possessions by an Auburn offense during their last 278 games (1992-2014).
  • Auburn has now extended their streak of 200-yard rushing games in conference play to 12 consecutive games (school record, previously 8-games).
  • During Auburn's current school record of 12 consecutive 200-yard rushing games in the SEC, the Tigers have averaged 328.5 yards per game.
  • What has possessing a mobile QB meant to the Auburn run-offense under Gus Malzahn? The 2010, 2013 and 2014 Auburn run offense has now averaged 317.7 yards rushing in 21 SEC games.
  • Coming into tonight's game, South Carolina had allow their FBS opponents to rush for 6.3% more yardage than their opponent's season average. The Auburn run-offense rushed for 133.5% more than what the Gamecocks had allowed on an average this season.
  • South Carolina averaged 7.63 yards per play during the first-half and 5.25 yards during the second-half. It was the sixth time out of 7 games the Auburn defense allowed fewer yards per play during the second-half, compared to the first-half.
  • Of the 35 snaps defended by the Auburn defense during the first-half, 48.6% went for 2-yards or less. During the second-half, it was 54.9% of the 51 snaps defended. It was the 6th time out of 7 games, the Auburn defense held their opponent to higher percentage of 2-yard plays or less during the second-half.
  • Auburn had 10 QB hurries, while allowing 3 and 7 tackles for loss to the 4 allowed.
  • Last season Auburn had 13 interceptions from 493 passes defended (37.9). This season they have equaled their interception total in just 7 games, with 13 picks from 250 passes defended (1 every 19.2 attempts). I can only image what it might be with a better pass-rush.
  • Last season through 7 games the Auburn offense generated 66 impact plays. This season they have 75.
  • Brandon Fulse came into the Gamecock game with 4 career receptions for 25-yards and 0 TD's. Fulse recorded his first TD of his career and his fist impact-play of his career.
  • Against Mississippi State, Auburn was 11 of 20 passing within 10-yards of the line of scrimmage for 102-yards. Against the Gamecocks, Auburn went 10 of 10 for 105-yards.
  • Since 1992 Auburn is now 139-10-1, when scoring on at least 33% of their offensive possessions. This includes a record of 41-3 under Gus Malzahn.
  • Auburn has now scored 75-points from their forced-turnovers, while allowing 28 from their own miscues.
  • During the first 2 conference games of the season, Auburn was 4 of 8 in situations of 2-yards or less needed to convert. During the last 2 conference games, Auburn is 10 of 13.

Final Thoughts...

It would be easy to be concerned about Auburn's remaining games based on the Tigers defensive performance against the Gamecocks. Before going into a full blown panic attack, consider the outcome of games through 8 weeks into the season. We saw South Carolina demolished by Texas A&M, yet the Gamecocks gave Georgia their only loss thus far. Alabama came close to losing to Arkansas but defeated Texas A&M by 59-points the following week. Auburn crushed LSU, 41-7 yet the Bengal-Tigers defeated Ole Miss, Auburn's next opponent. Auburn defeated Arkansas by 24, who lost in overtime to A&M. Though the Aggies blew out the Gamecocks, Auburn held on for dear-life to get past South Carolina. There is no way to accurately predict the outcome of any conference game based on the outcome of previous games.

Despite their poor defensive performance against the Gamecocks, Auburn remains in position to reach all their preseason team-goals. The defense will certainly need to play much better next Saturday against Ole Miss but every team in the Southeastern Conference has shown some form of weakness this season, including undefeated Mississippi State. I do believe Ellis Johnson has explored every possible option to improve the DL, which means Auburn will need to make plays inside the red zone, while continuing their trend to forcing turnovers. The run-defense and secondary appear to be the strength of the defense but the lack of pass-rush is likely to catch up with the Tigers again. Hopefully the Auburn defense can continue to perform better as the game progresses.

Regardless of Auburn's deficiencies this season, Auburn can still run their remaining schedule by making plays at critical moments of the game. What Auburn can not afford is the self-inflicted wounds we have seen, regarding turnovers. The match ups between Auburn and Ole Miss projects a close game, likely to be low-scoring. Turnovers and miscues can turn any close game into a blowout. Auburn's offense appears to have taken a step-forward from the bye-week but the same cannot be said about the defense. Though I suspect Auburn's defense is better than how they performed against the Gamecocks, they simply cannot afford to allow Bo Wallace to throw the football without any pressure. Auburn faced a South Carolina team, willing to let it all hang out because the Gamecocks had their backs to the wall. Ole Miss losing to LSU has forced the Rebels into a must-win situation and they are a much more physical and talented team on defense.

Auburn and Ole Miss can not afford another conference loss or face possible elimination in the conference race to Atlanta. The time has come for the Auburn coaches and players to take a page out of the Steve Spurrier book and play like there is no tomorrow, with minimum wiggle room to win a championship.

War Eagle!

Very good analysis as always!

The coaching fraternity has lots of pairings where coaches work together and then later coach against each other.

Ellis Johnson ran the USCe defense from 2008 to 2011. His defense practiced everyday against that Spurrier offense for four seasons. I'm not sure which coach got the knowledge advantage for those 4 years. Stopping a risk taking spurrier is not an easy task.

Spurriers offense was near sucidal last night. They played like it was the last game of the last season they would ever play football. And luck or something seemed to be on their side successfully using all 4 downs to make ten yards all those times. It was spurrier gambling to keep the ball away from the Auburn offense and it almost worked for him.

Spurriers offense was near sucidal last night.

^^^^This^^^^

And it almost worked. USCe reminded me of FSU during the 1980s, but even FSU in the 1980s under Bowden did one, maybe two trick plays or 4th down attempts in a game.

How many times have we seen a team in a all-or-nothing situation attempt something like USCe did and fails spectacularly?

I think the CEJ-USCe connection was played much better by Spurrier. He called standard plays that attacked our scheme and talent weakness well, while dialing up special plays which were executed very well.

My concern for this game is Spurrier gave a clinic on how to run roughshod over our defense. Other teams will look at this game film and attempt to copy it.

If we had not made three critical penalties (three 15-yard penalties--face mask, hand in face, PI--during critical downs), and if we had stopped more of the 4th down conversions than just one, or if we had stopped more of the trick plays, and had played heads up on the onside kick, this could have been a two to three TD win.

Thanks Stat. Great as per your usual.

Love your analysis as always, Stat. I wonder if you have stats/analysis regarding our specials teams play? I thought our special teams breakdowns might have hurt more than our defensive problems because we hurt ourselves there (a shanked punt early,2 poor decisions on KO returns, a fumble on a punt, not covering the onsides kick). Seems to me that special teams play must improve going forward. Not much we can do about not having a great pass rusher, but we can be better on special teams.

Agree that Spurrier's game plan was a modern Kamikaze attack that nearly worked. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

In this case their passing attack left no room for errors and USC's success completing third or fourth and long made Auburn's very very good victory look like an escape win to the casual observer.

Excellent win.

^^^^This^^^^

And it almost worked. USCe reminded me of FSU during the 1980s, but even FSU in the 1980s under Bowden did one, maybe two trick plays or 4th down attempts in a game.

How many times have we seen a team in a all-or-nothing situation attempt something like USCe did and fails spectacularly?

I think the CEJ-USCe connection was played much better by Spurrier. He called standard plays that attacked our scheme and talent weakness well, while dialing up special plays which were executed very well.

My concern for this game is Spurrier gave a clinic on how to run roughshod over our defense. Other teams will look at this game film and attempt to copy it.

If we had not made three critical penalties (three 15-yard penalties--face mask, hand in face, PI--during critical downs), and if we had stopped more of the 4th down conversions than just one, or if we had stopped more of the trick plays, and had played heads up on the onside kick, this could have been a two to TD win.

"My concern for this game is Spurrier gave a clinic on how to run roughshod over our defense. Other teams will look at this game film and attempt to copy it"

From what I saw the slants across the middle were killing us and open the run. K. St. pretty much did the same thing.

Stat,

I always enjoy your postgame numbers and thoughts, but don't know if I've ever agreed more with your thoughts than I do this week.

Here's one stat that really stood out to me:

Of the 35 snaps defended by the Auburn defense during the first-half, 48.6% went for 2-yards or less. During the second-half, it was 54.9% of the 51 snaps defended. It was the 6th time out of 7 games, the Auburn defense held their opponent to higher percentage of 2-yard plays or less during the second-half.

Our defense really played pretty well. Our inability to get consistent pressure on their QB, however, allowed them to convert on 3rd and 4th downs way more than we'd like, however! I really hope someone steps up on D to help; but if we play with aggressiveness on both sides of the ball (and perhaps on special teams) we can still win out.

Couple of other things stood out to me.

1. Quan Bray played well, other than the fumble.

2. Corey Grant ran with conviction and power -- on extremely limited carries. I hope the coaches continue the rotation they employed at the beginning of the game.

3. Great use of Ricardo, as you point out

4. Mont Adams is a best.

5. Jonathan Jones is only one or two INTs away from not getting thrown at any more.

6. THERE WAS NO QUIT IN THS TEAM!

7. War Eagle!

^^^^This^^^^

If we had not made three critical penalties (three 15-yard penalties--face mask, hand in face, PI--during critical downs), and if we had stopped more of the 4th down conversions than just one, or if we had stopped more of the trick plays, and had played heads up on the onside kick, this could have been a two to TD win.

"My concern for this game is Spurrier gave a clinic on how to run roughshod over our defense. Other teams will look at this game film and attempt to copy it"

From what I saw the slants across the middle were killing us and open the run. K. St. pretty much did the same thing.

The problem with a slant pattern is that it can't be run back to back to back against a good d coordinator. They will slide a lb in the way and intercept it. Spurrier is better than most at disguising it and knowing when and how often to call it. Every defense gives up something. Gus and Spurrier are good at finding that something.

^^^^This^^^^

The problem with a slant pattern is that it can't be run back to back to back against a good d coordinator. They will slide a lb in the way and intercept it. Spurrier is better than most at disguising it and knowing when and how often to call it. Every defense gives up something. Gus and Spurrier are good at finding that something.

Spurrier played like a 3 TD underdog...took every chance in the book .....4th down plays on his own 25, on sides kick, etc, etc....anything to keep the ball away from AU...and figured (IMO) what the heck...if it doesn't work, we are not much worse off 'cause we won't stop AU from scoring no matter where they take over the ball.

JMO but last night's game does not indicate anything about future games.....which will be played much closer to the vest by opponents like Ole Miss or even Bama....not wanting to risk giving the ball up on a missed 4th down effort, etc. Again....just an opinion but none of our ranked opponents will want to give us a cheap TD. .....though TAMU might be at the point where they feel like they have nothing to lose by such a strategy.

^^^^This^^^^

If we had not made three critical penalties (three 15-yard penalties--face mask, hand in face, PI--during critical downs), and if we had stopped more of the 4th down conversions than just one, or if we had stopped more of the trick plays, and had played heads up on the onside kick, this could have been a two to three TD win.

Well one thing about this game is that Spurrier is unique. I worry about the defense but at the same time nobody else is likely to be able to emulate his style.

The first couple 4th down attempts were risks by Spurrier, the others were taking what we were giving him. Truly a dreadful performance by AU on D all around and I'm not talking just stats, positional play and technique were sloppy from whistle to whistle. Thank goodness Thompson is a dimwit. I actually think this will wake up our seniors and embarrass our top dog young recruits and I look for one of our better D player efforts against ole miss. We'll see if Ellis' joins the party with a "gameplan" and hopefully some of those halftime "adjustments" he's, er, famous for. Bo Wallace is cut from the same vein as Dylan Thompson: get to him early and he'll panic the entire game, don't get to him and he'll find his quality receivers.

If a couple of those 4th down conversions had failed, USCe would have stopped taking those risks. Final score would have been more like AU 42 - USCe 21

If a couple of those 4th down conversions had failed, USCe would have stopped taking those risks. Final score would have been more like AU 42 - USCe 21

But they did not fail, that IS the point.

We only stopped them once out of six attempts. One was 4th and 5 and we could not stop them, one was 4th and 8 and we could not stop them. I lost count of how many 3rd and longs we could not stop.

How anyone could actually watch this game and say our Defense did OK, is certainly wearing orange and blue glasses. The Defense played horribly (as a unit), period.

If Stat does his usual analysis of the defense and offense by the passing/failing numbers I am willing to wager the Defense fails in every category but turnovers.

Spurrier knows CEJ's defense inside and out. Don't think Spurrier wasn't thinking of ways to exploit Johnson's defense while they were coaching on the same sideline. Spurrier had the upper hand before the game and he used it perfectly. Because he knew what our tendencies would be, Spurrier was always one or two moves ahead in the coaching chess match. If we were to play them again in a week, I bet we'd make huge adjustments and perform much better on D.

Spurrier knows CEJ's defense inside and out. Don't think Spurrier wasn't thinking of ways to exploit Johnson's defense while they were coaching on the same sideline. Spurrier had the upper hand before the game and he used it perfectly. Because he knew what our tendencies would be, Spurrier was always one or two moves ahead in the coaching chess match. If we were to play them again in a week, I bet we'd make huge adjustments and perform much better on D.

I don't. If spurrier knows cej tendencies on defense then cej should know spurrier's. He got outcoached, schooled, and had his lunch money took. I've said it for the longest, waiting until halftime to make adjustments is gonna bite us in the behind one day. It's only happened once, but Saturday could have been twice.

I don't. If spurrier knows cej tendencies on defense then cej should know spurrier's. He got outcoached, schooled, and had his lunch money took. I've said it for the longest, waiting until halftime to make adjustments is gonna bite us in the behind one day. It's only happened once, but Saturday could have been twice.

So one of the greatest coaches ever outsmarted our D coordinator? Shocking.

Yeah I know, funny how he couldn't do it against uk, east carolina, and aTm . I would mention mizzou but that was a defensive breakdown.

Considering one of the greatest minds in college football couldn't score more than 20 on a really bad missouri team I would consider CEJ got pantsed by a bad team.

Archived