Week 10 (Auburn vs. Ole Miss) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

OC Rhett Lashlee

B04ndS5CQAIcr-B.jpg

Lashlee on off. Sat.: "Progress. I thought we played a very complete game for the most part. We were trying to get an edge back."

Lashlee on rotation of RBs: "I think it'll help a lot. (Artis-Payne) still had his 25 carries and he's a workhorse type of guy."

Lashlee on CAP's "burst": "I think he did a good job when it was there to bounce it on the perimeter."

Lashlee on the plan to get more runs on the outside: "Just in general we had to get more yards on the perimeter."

Lashlee on trusting Marshall: "Obviously he adds a different dimension … so we trust him (to make the right reads)."

Lashlee on forcing up tempo: "We wanted to push the issue early, … we also felt that by doing that our 3rd down situations were manageable."

Lashlee on offensive improvement: "I think overall our tempo was good, we executed as a higher level, and our guys had that edge back."

@AUBlog

Lashlee on pushing the tempo: "We wanted to push the issue early." Said he felt that would make third downs more manageable.

@wareagleextra

Lashlee says keeping guys fresh at the running back position is a key down the stretch

@ITATJason

Biggest disappointment? Lashlee said it was the last drive, when the Tigers couldn't kill the clock completely and had to punt it back.

Lashlee on Auburn's offensive "edge": "It's about being physical and having 11 guys who don't care about who gets the credit this game."

Lashlee on Marshall: "We've got a lot of trust in him...we're like anyone else, we're going to go where our quarterback leads us."

@JFergusonAU

Did you know: Rhett Lashlee served as Ole Miss DC Dave Wommack's scout team QB when both were at Arkansas.

@bmarcello

DC Ellis Johnson

Ryan Black / WarEagleExtra (via YouTube)

Johnson on defensive issues vs USC: "You go back and look at the film, they had all the right answers. But at the moment, they didn't."

Johnson says Auburn GA Ryan Aplin, former Ole Miss GA & Ark St. QB, is "going to watch tape with us," will help in preparation vs. Ole Miss.

@AUBlog

Johnson: "We had a lot of miscommunication. We've had some of that this year, but not to the degree we had it last night."

Johnson. "We had a lot of miscommunication. We've had some of that this year, but not to the degree we had it last night."

Johnson on Spurrier's fourth-down gambles: "That makes our third down calls hard too, knowing that...they just out-executed us."

Johnson said the staff didn't notice that D'haquille Williams and Mon Adams were on the field during the Hail Mary until "after the fact."

Johnson said Adams was supposed to be off the field in that situation.

Johnson on the pass rush: "Frankly, the production is just not there. We're just not getting there."

Johnson said the team will watch the Ole Miss tape from last night's loss against LSU later tonight.

Johnson said Jermaine Whitehead hasn't practiced with the defense yet in his return from suspension.

Johnson on Auburn's need for a better pass rush: "Guys just have to step up. We don't have a waiver wire, and we can't trade any of them."

@JFergusonAU

Johnson said the defense has practiced with both Duke Williams and Sammie Coates in the secondary on Hail Mary-type scenarios.

@wareagleextra

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said linebacker Kris Frost and Cassanova McKinzy were consistent against South Carolina.

@AUGoldMine

Guys just have to step up on pass rush. Ellis Johnson: "We don't have a waiver wire, can't trade any of them."

@bmarcello

Jonathan Jones

B04m7qcCYAEwy7r.jpg

Auburn CB Jonathan Jones is here now. "We came in expecting (South Carolina's) best effort. They threw some body blows to us."

@JFergusonAU

Jones on his ability to recover if he gets beat by WR: "Anytime you do get beat you don't want to look back, … my speed does help me."

@AUBlog

Jones says he has good memories about playing against Ole Miss: It was his first start (2012) and the first game he played last year.

He also downed a punt at the 1-yard line during last year's game. "(Special teams) Coach (Scott) Fountain said that was a big play."

@wareeagleextra

Melvin Ray

Melvin Ray on making the final block on Nick Marshall's 37-yard TD run: "I just got in the way to spring him the last few yards."

@AUBlog

I know that the D kind of let us down this past game. But man I like CEJ! He is just a straight shooter who tells it like it is. He has that old school feel (because he is old school) but yet he must get along with the players or we wouldn't be getting the talent at all. Best quote for me "We don't have a waiver wire" Sounds like to me it goes along with what others were saying in another thread that maybe he doesn't feel we have the talent on D line that we should. We all know that a 4* in high school does not always translate to talent on the NCAA field. CEJ (and his assistants) should probably step in and coach some of these kids up but at some point it has to be a pride thing. Mckenzie (I thin) talked about how he was embarassed by all the 4th down attempts. That is a kid taking pride in what he is doing. Seems to me the DLine needs a little more hurt feelings and take a little more pride in what they are there to do.

Archived