2015 4* JUCO DT D.J. Jones (Ole Miss signee)

ellitor

4_1275326.jpg

East Mississippi CC by way of Piedmont, SC

6'2, 310 lbs

Committed to FSU

Has an Auburn offer

OVed AU for the South Carolina game

Other notable offers: Bama, UF, UGA, LSU, & USC

DJ is an early enrollee

Free interview following DJ's OAV to AU Link

D.J. Jones remains committed to Florida State, but Jones now has more to think about after an official visit to Auburn.

“It was exciting. The game was crazy. The fans were crazy. I had a good time," Jones told AuburnUndercover.

“I’m still committed to Florida State, but I just wanted to open back up and see what was out there. I knew what was going on there (Auburn) and that’s what I made it a case to take my official.

"Of course they are in the picture. With their situation and me being what they need they are in the picture. I’m also looking at Ole Miss and South Carolina. That’s about it.”

Jones, the No. 3 junior college prospect and No. 1 junior college defensive tackle ranked by 247Sports, arrived on Friday and left on Sunday. For Jones, Auburn's defensive tackle depth chart is appealing.

The Tigers lose four seniors at the defensive tackle position and Jones believes he could fill a need for Auburn.

“Of course seeing how they are losing pretty much all of their nose or tackles. I see that if I come in and work it would be a great place to play," Jones said. “It did. I think they’ll have one guy actually coming back for that spot and he’ll be a freshman. Whoever they bring it, that will be big for me.

"With me coming in the spring and with the situation (at Auburn) that would be big for me just learning the system.”

Rodney Garner is recruiting Jones to Auburn. Jones studied Garner's teaching habits before and during the game.

“It was refreshing to finally get to see what I have been wanting to see. I got to see them move around and how they work. They pretty much did what they had to do last night defensively. I got to see a little bit of it on film. I’m glad I got to see it.”

The 6-foot-2, 310-pound Jones has already visited Florida State and South Carolina. He hopes to visit Ole Miss soon. Jones is a December graduate, and with little time left before he enrolls at the college of his choice, he isn't closing the door on any possibilities.

“It’s just the way (Auburn) continues to recruit me," said Jones. "Anything can happen, but as of right now it’s 100 percent there at Florida State.”

Free notes per Keith at AUC Link

Here is what I know about Jones:

-He has been talking with Auburn since long before he committed to FSU in July.

-There have been some questions about his academics. I have heard nothing new there. I think most schools think he'll be fine.

-At this time, Auburn isn't quite sure how serious he is about them. He's from South Carolina and also likes the Gamecocks. So it's convenient for him that AU is playing S. Carolina.

Sounds like a South Carolina native just wanted a free ticket to watch his home team.

Disagree. While I don't think we land him, nor Cocky for that matter, I think he is genuine about the interest due to our depth chart.

Sounds like a South Carolina native just wanted a free ticket to watch his home team.

Disagree. While I don't think we land him, nor Cocky for that matter, I think he is genuine about the interest due to our depth chart.

Based on what I read, I think Jones is looking at AU and not just taking a free trip. It does sound as if it will be difficult to get him away from FL ST.

Jones seems more focused on the depth chart than most recruits. Can't really blame him since he's a JUCO guy, and that should work in our favor over FSU's big time.

I've found that what recruits wear to the game can be a good source of information. Best is when a recruit wears Auburn logo gear, because, usually, they bought it. Worst is when they wear the other team's colors (just here to cheer for opponent, jerk, or clueless). D.J. wore an orange shirt with a big cat (I think a lion) on it. If he were just here to pull for USCe he would have worn their or neutral colors. My all-time favorite was Tre Mason. After Tre's OV he posed for pics in an Auburn hat, shirt, and jacket. I knew we had him. My gear read on DJ - he wants us to continue recruiting him, and we have a shot.

Laugh if you will, but this is as scientific as anything else about recruiting. A fail of the gear test was when JaQuay Williams posed in an Auburn hat, but I found out Will Adams bought it for him.

I've found that what recruits wear to the game can be a good source of information. Best is when a recruit wears Auburn logo gear, because, usually, they bought it. Worst is when they wear the other team's colors (just here to cheer for opponent, jerk, or clueless). D.J. wore an orange shirt with a big cat (I think a lion) on it. If he were just here to pull for USCe he would have worn their or neutral colors. My all-time favorite was Tre Mason. After Tre's OV he posed for pics in an Auburn hat, shirt, and jacket. I knew we had him. My gear read on DJ - he wants us to continue recruiting him, and we have a shot.

Laugh if you will, but this is as scientific as anything else about recruiting. A fail of the gear test was when JaQuay Williams posed in an Auburn hat, but I found out Will Adams bought it for him.

I hate to burst your bubble but there are many many cases of the gear an uncommitted recruit wears meaning nothing than meaning something. 2 examples that quicly come to my ming is this year Dre Francois wearing AU shirts the week he ended up commiting to FSU and Channing Ward wearing AU shorts at the Under Armour game practice, committed to Ole Miss at the Under Armour game. 2 days later.

I hate to burst your bubble but there are many many cases of the gear an uncommitted recruit wears meaning nothing than meaning something. 2 examples that quicly come to my ming is this year Dre Francois wearing AU shirts the week he ended up commiting to FSU and Channing Ward wearing AU shorts at the Under Armour game practice, committed to Ole Miss at the Under Armour game. 2 days later.

No bubble burst - didn't say it was perfect, just an indicator. Nothing's 100% when dealing with teenagers.

• 1 month later...

Archived