DE Recruiting

ALTiger

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recruiting pass rushers doesn't solve our pass rush problems now.

That and we have 2 freshman DEs with a lot of pass rush potential that mainly need to put on 30 lbs or so.

To the OP in the 2015 class we are in the top 3 with 1 kid with a lot of pass rush potential in D'Andre Walker. We are working to get in on the #1 DE in the class in Terry Beckner Jr. The staff will go see him right after the Iron Bowl when the open visit season starts. He is a kid much like Braden Smith last year who even this late teams can make a run with him. We also lead for 4 very good 2016 DL targets. I'm not sure what their pass rush abilities are though.

We can offer immediate playing time on an otherwise great team. Seems like it would be a no brainer for the best DE recruits in the country. All we have to do is show them some game film of our zero pass rush and opposing QBs standing back there eating a sandwich.

We have to use more of our sub packages. We have DTs playing DE in Daniel and Lambert. President is a Run stopping DE. We have 3 pretty good LBs so use the 3-3-5 package more and get exotic with the blitz. The Owens injury along with Lawson have hurt our speed rush.

We can offer immediate playing time on an otherwise great team. Seems like it would be a no brainer for the best DE recruits in the country. All we have to do is show them some game film of our zero pass rush and opposing QBs standing back there eating a sandwich.

If that were the top priority you would be correct. While it's a big priority it's usually not the top for recruits. Most of the time the top priority goes to the best relationships with the coaching staff. We are just point blank behind on the relationship department on most 2015 DL.

We have DTs playing DE...Lambert.

We recruited Lambert as a DE not DT. As of now the plan is too keep him at DE through his AU career except for 3rd down pass situations next season.

but look out for 2016

Yup. We lead for 4 of our top 5 targets in that class. I have a question for you Bird. I read where we are recruiting all 4 at DT. Do you know if we are or will recruit any of them at DE? I ask because I'd hate to lose anyone of them because of having too many committed at 1 position.

I'm not frequently a doom and gloomer, but it's pretty clear we have a major hole in our personnel at the moment. Even if Kennion and Thornton turn into fantastic pass rushers, we're still understocked. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to a JUCO DE to plug the hole in this class. Daniel should be playing inside. Everyone seems to know that, but with Owens playing hurt, we just can't move him inside.

There are no more sub-packages or personnel tweaks. The guys we have just have to play better. We can blitz some more (like we did against State), but it still comes down to guys just getting to the QB. I think Coach Johnson has done just about everything he can do now. We've gone blitz heavy. We've shuffled guys around. We've even moved a Safety down to play as a roaming fourth DL in a 3-3-5 look. He's drawn up all the ball plays he can draw up. This is a personnel issue. I hope we can sway Walker and/or Beckner. Walker thinks he can play early (don't they all?), and who knows? Maybe he's right. Dee Ford played as a true freshman at 195. If we're as anemic in the rush next year as we are this year, a natural rusher could see the field even if he's not physically ready.

I'm not frequently a doom and gloomer, but it's pretty clear we have a major hole in our personnel at the moment. Even if Kennion and Thornton turn into fantastic pass rushers, we're still understocked. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to a JUCO DE to plug the hole in this class. Daniel should be playing inside. Everyone seems to know that, but with Owens playing hurt, we just can't move him inside.

There are no more sub-packages or personnel tweaks. The guys we have just have to play better. We can blitz some more (like we did against State), but it still comes down to guys just getting to the QB. I think Coach Johnson has done just about everything he can do now. We've gone blitz heavy. We've shuffled guys around. We've even moved a Safety down to play as a roaming fourth DL in a 3-3-5 look. He's drawn up all the ball plays he can draw up. This is a personnel issue. I hope we can sway Walker and/or Beckner. Walker thinks he can play early (don't they all?), and who knows? Maybe he's right. Dee Ford played as a true freshman at 195. If we're as anemic in the rush next year as we are this year, a natural rusher could see the field even if he's not physically ready.

The only way we are as bad next year on pass rush is if Carl gets hurt again (knocking on wood as I type). If he's healthy he will be a good pass rush by himself holding things down til the 2016 boys arrive and he leaves.

Even if Kennion and Thornton turn into fantastic pass rushers, we're still understocked.

If we're as anemic in the rush next year as we are this year, a natural rusher could see the field even if he's not physically ready.

That's what worries me. Yes, the two guys listed in the first quote are lean... but if they can't crack the current rotation- i.e., if they can't be pass rushers even when there are literally no other pass rushers- then I lose some optimism about their natural ability.

As long as we're 1 injury away from having no pass rush whatsoever, then we're in bad shape. It's great that the 2016 class is going to be so amazing, but those kids are a very, very long way away from actually suiting up for Auburn. And did you mention a few posts up, ellitor, that they're being recruited as DTs?

Its been a recruiting fail, which I've been saying for a while now. Even if you want to look forward to the 2016 class, the guys we're looking "good" for are basically all DT's. Garner needs to start making some moves because we are stagnating hard at the DE position.

It's been a fail, but it's also an easy fix. Land Walker or Beckner or both and you're right back where you want to be numbers and potential-wise. Kennion looked like a lean rush end before he got dinged. Thornton was the higher recruited guy of the two. Williams has a chance to be a rusher. Move Daniel inside and goes from run-stopping end to pass-rushing tackle (he was second or third in pressures last year playing limited snaps almost exclusively at DT). I don't think it's a DEFCON situation, but it's a glaring personnel hole.

I know that recruits look at playing time, atmosphere and ability of coach to get you to the NFL when trying to choose a school. I am sure we can get any decent DL playing time and it is almost impossible to beat the atmosphere of AU, but what about #3. We have no proof of our coaches really helping our players get to the NFL. So now my question to the gurus: Is #3 why DL end up more going to UAt and UGay rather than coming for playing time and the AU atmosphere? Is sitting on the pine for a year really that much better than PT?

We have no proof of our coaches really helping our players get to the NFL

Does Dee Ford ring a bell to you? Garner has sent a boat load of players to the NFL in his time at Georgia.

Um, yeah, Rodney Garner has a very long track record of putting guys in the NFL. Ellis Johnson has his share as well, especially on his defensive fronts.

but if they can't crack the current rotation- i.e., if they can't be pass rushers even when there are literally no other pass rushers- then I lose some optimism about their natural ability.

You are forgetting Thornton has had a shoulder injury this year and Kennion has had injuries at various times also.

So now my question to the gurus: Is #3 why DL end up more going to UAt and UGay rather than coming for playing time and the AU atmosphere? Is sitting on the pine for a year really that much better than PT?

I basically covered this on the previous page. Link

but if they can't crack the current rotation- i.e., if they can't be pass rushers even when there are literally no other pass rushers- then I lose some optimism about their natural ability.

You are forgetting Thornton has had a shoulder injury this year and Kennion has had injuries at various times also.

Guilty. Thanks for the correction. That gives me some encouragement about their potential.

Both have the Wingspan and speed to be very good pass rushers but in addition to the injuries both were a little on the light side by SEC standards, because even though DE's need to pass rush they also have to stop the run and that is much harder to do when you are not big enough and strong enough for the SEC even if you have the speed. Give them a year and I think they will be a pleasant surprise.

I don't recall the timing of Thornton's injury, but Kennion had an ankle injury during the season. He was starting to get a few reps. I'm guessing he would've gotten more if he was healthy because he's a guy that at least has the potential to put on a rush.

I still say, even if both pan out, we're light at DE. Lambert looks good, but he's not a game changing terror. President is a Doug Langenfeld type of guy (solid and a plus against the run but walking off the field every pass down). That's just the state of the position right now. That's why Walker and Beckner are bigger priorities in my mind than they were at the start of the season.

Yes I read that ellitor, but how can a coaching staff be so far behind if they have been in place for 2 years and they knew that D was a big weakness of their personnel when they took the job 2 years ago? It just seems very difficult for me to accept that coaches of this intelligence level haven't been trying to recruit D players since they set foot on campus 2 years ago. Or are you saying it takes longer than 2 years to build relationships with these players?

But I digress... I am no recruiting expert. I follow a few forums and like to read about the talent that AU is recruiting.

Yes I read that ellitor, but how can a coaching staff be so far behind if they have been in place for 2 years and they knew that D was a big weakness of their personnel when they took the job 2 years ago? It just seems very difficult for me to accept that coaches of this intelligence level haven't been trying to recruit D players since they set foot on campus 2 years ago. Or are you saying it takes longer than 2 years to build relationships with these players?

But I digress... I am no recruiting expert. I follow a few forums and like to read about the talent that AU is recruiting.

Not E, but I know it will be mentioned that Garner needed to coach the DLine players a lot during his 1st year here. They needed a lot of help and we needed several freshmen to play. Garner did a terrific job of this too as Ford became a 1st round draft pick, Lawson and Adams became very good players and Daniel played well last year. So Garner spent almost all his time coaching and did not spend a ton of time recruiting HS Juniors.

Not E, but I know it will be mentioned that Garner needed to coach the DLine players a lot during his 1st year here. They needed a lot of help and we needed several freshmen to play. Garner did a terrific job of this too as Ford became a 1st round draft pick, Lawson and Adams became very good players and Daniel played well last year. So Garner spent almost all his time coaching and did not spend a ton of time recruiting HS Juniors.

And he is talking to and recruiting different DL for AU than he did at UGA. Also it normally 2 years minimum to have a relationship with a player that can get an outcome of signing the kid. All those factors has Garner behind on this class but the good news is he's on pace with the 2016 class.

Archived