Playoff poll discussion here (merged threads)

tigerman1186

I have a strong feeling we will be in the lower half of the top ten...I see it as this, not that I agree with it...

FSU

Miss. State

Ala

Oregon

TCU

Ole Miss

Auburn

Baylor

Michigan State

Arizona State

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, I don't think it matters. It's pretty clear cut. If we win the rest of our games, 100% we are going. If we lose a game- 100% we are not

The thing is, I don't think it matters. It's pretty clear cut. If we win the rest of our games, 100% we are going. If we lose a game- 100% we are not

It's not 100% that we go if we win out. Auburn could win out and get left out very easily.

I really don't see how anyone thinks we get left out if we finish our season beating A and Am, Alabama, Georgia, and Ole Miss.

I am not sure the second part of that is right. Maybe not likely but not impossible that a two loss Auburn team would get into the playoff.

Posted Today, 12:10 PM

I really don't see how anyone thinks we get left out if we finish our season beating A and Am, Alabama, Georgia, and Ole Miss.

Edited by shabby, Today, 12:10

For one, the strength of schedule is not the only criteria and the committee is more than likely not going to allow the up roar that will ensue if they allow 2 teams from one conference in the FIRST playoff series. Like others on here, I do think it's possible in the future, but I don't think it will be this year. IMO if we win out, the only way we go is if MSST loses 2. here's to taking care of business one game at a time.

I want Auburn to be in the playoffs, and I think they are deserving if they win out. Here's where the playoff system doesn't work: If Miss St wins out, or drops 1 game, they HAVE to play for the SEC title. If they lose the extra game, that puts their chances in jeopardy.

This system is just as dumb as the last one. It doesn't seem like an improvement at all. For some reason, I'm kinda hoping Auburn doesn't play for the SEC title.... that doesn't make sense.

Don't be too surprised that the selection committe does not follow the AP poll. First off, I think they will not have two SEC teams (or from any conference) in their top 4 - to help sell their position that the final four for playoff will not have more than one rep from any conference, unless there is major meltdown and conference champions (or ND) have 2 or 3 losses.

For AU, we need to win out and MSU needs two losses so we go the SEC championship game. We win that we are in. Otherwise, the committe will select one-loss conference champions from elsewhere.

I hope we are out of the top 4 tomorrow to motivate our guys even more. Being in the top 4 at this point is meaningless.

But I want to win the West, then the SEC. That will guarantee us a place. I think this first time around the committee will place value on conference winners and try give as much regional/conference variety as possible.

AU has a lot of national respect now, something we're not used to but will become the norm for however long Gus remains on the plains. I think we'll be #4 to #6 in the initial playoff poll. Not that it will matter, because if we somehow run the gauntlet and win out from here forward, no one would deny us reaching the playoff. The bigger question is whether or not we can win all these road wars coming up.

If Auburn doesn't win out and win the SEC championship game, they aren't making the playoffs. The committee was established to level the playing field and they aren't going to put two SEC teams in the playoffs unless hell freezes over.

I am not going to get butt-hurt if we are not ranked in the top 5. Right now I am not convinced we should be. Regardless, there is a still a lot of football left to play for anybody to get all bothered by the first poll being released tomorrow. Yet, people will act like it is the final poll instead of the first one, therefore they will lose their minds.

We will be in the Top 10 and winning out gives us a very good chance of getting into the playoff. I shy away from saying it is 100% guaranteed because of all the other 1 loss teams in play, plus winning out does not get us in the SEC CG unless Miss. State drops two games. If they do lose twice and we get in the SEC CG and win that, then I say we are in the playoff for sure. Our defense needs to get back to playing like they did the first half of the season, because the way they have played the last couple of games is going to make it tough to win out.

Somebody mentioned they thought we had a chance with even two losses and that is a point that I will have to unfortunately disagree with. Unless the SEC West just implodes and all the other 1 loss teams in the Top 10 drop another game, I just can't see us with two losses making the top 4.

What I'm most interested to see with the Playoff poll is how things change week-to-week. With the AP, there's kind of an unwritten rule (for the most part) that if you win, you won't drop--even if it's a tight game. I'm curious to see if the committee is going to shuffle teams around each week in a fickle manner, much like we've been seeing each week with all the pundits releasing their "Top 4" each week.

IMO, there needs to be some degree of predictability in the poll, so I hope they don't shake things up each week just because one team looked impressive and another team had an off week but still won.

Thanks for starting this thread for the surpisingly large "who cares about polls" crowd that bring down the collective intelligence of this board.

What I'm most interested to see with the Playoff poll is how things change week-to-week. With the AP, there's kind of an unwritten rule (for the most part) that if you win, you won't drop--even if it's a tight game. I'm curious to see if the committee is going to shuffle teams around each week in a fickle manner, much like we've been seeing each week with all the pundits releasing their "Top 4" each week.

IMO, there needs to be some degree of predictability in the poll, so I hope they don't shake things up each week just because one team looked impressive and another team had an off week but still won.

I bet we will see a surprising similarity between the various public polls, AP, coaches, ...and what comes out from the Committee. Despite all the BS about the standards of the committee, etc....when a week's worth of games have been played, everyone has access to the same information,all the videos, has similar expertise in evaluating the performances.....and IMO, they will pretty much end up with the same ratings with similar differences to what we usually get. I will be amazed...(send me the crow) if there is any real difference between the "official" rankings and AP or USA Today.

It's not 100% that we go if we win out. Auburn could win out and get left out very easily.

We could get left out, but highly doubtful if we win the rest of our games.

It is well known that Auburn has one of the toughest schedules in the country. If we win the rest of our games, we will be taking out #3 which moves us up to at least # 3.

With our game resume, it would be extremely hard to justify leaving #3 out of the play offs. Schedule and rankings are included in the calculations. No one can claim a more difficult schedule than AU among the top ranked teams.

We could get left out, but highly doubtful if we win the rest of our games.

It is well known that Auburn has one of the toughest schedules in the country. If we win the rest of our games, we will be taking out #3 which moves us up to at least # 3.

With our game resume, it would be extremely difficult for anyone (other than a Bama fan) to justify leaving #3 out of the play offs. Schedule and rankings are included in the calculations. No one can claim a more difficult schedule than AU among the top ranked teams.

Archived