Week 10 (Auburn vs. Ole Miss) - Tiger Talk

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

B0_jPO8CAAAqZHS.jpg

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said win over South Carolina is "something we can build upon the rest of the year."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says tailback Roc Thomas is "a guy we feel like is coming on." Cameron Artis-Payne is "very reliable… a complete back."

Gus Malzahn said QB Nick Marshall did well with the zone-read and his passing, "overall, a complete night" in win over South Carolina

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn: "We knew we were going to get South Carolina's best. ... They threw out all the stops."

Malzahn on Roc Thomas/Corey Grant being on the field at same time: "That's a package -- with (CAP) -- you could see more in the future."

Malzahn on signaling in plays: "It's part of our practice routine. ... It then turns into instinct."

Malzahn: "The offense didn't have one penalty and it didn't have one turnover. That's a sign things are going in the right direction."

Malzahn on facing friend Hugh Freeze: "We had the opportunity last year to do that. When the game starts, you have to do your job."

Malzahn on managing expectations: "Auburn is a program that has high expectations and we expect to win championships here."

Malzahn recalls a game in HS -- with Rhett Lashlee as his sophomore QB -- where they didn't punt in the second half. Won in overtime.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn: "We had to get our edge back and that physical mentality; we had to run the football."

Malzahn gives history to friendship with Hugh Freeze. All began when Malzahn left Shiloh, Freeze inquired about job

@JamesCrepea

Ever not punt in a game like Spurrier, Gus? Yes, in 70-64 win against Junction City as a high school coach

@bmarcello

Malzahn: "We challenged our offense, we had to get our edge back. … During our off week we challenged them & got back to the basics."

Malzahn on USC win: "That's a sign of a good team that can respond like that. I was very happy we could get a win like that."

Malzahn on CAP: "He's very reliable, he makes those tough yards inside & is getting better … outside, … he's a complete back."

Malzahn on pass rush: "We're still a work in progress. When we put pressure on that quarterback (Bo Wallace) it really changed things."

Malzahn on defensive turnovers: "We got turnovers, one in the end zone and one in the 8 yard line that really kept them from points."

Malzahn on playing Hugh Freeze: "Once the game starts you have to do your job, … afterwards we'll shake hands."

@AUBlog

Guest jojo1515

Surely there was more talk than 2 small statements about the D.. Didn't actually get to hear it so maybe not, but surely people were asking, right? Either way, his O looks back to old form and it couldn't happen at a better time with playing the best D in the country this weekend. Hope we get bad Bo like LSU did!

Wallace is a poster child for panicking easily under pressure. Get to him early and he's a basket case for the game. I look for Moncrief to do damage in that regard this game. Daniels & Garrett too.

Surely there was more talk than 2 small statements about the D.. Didn't actually get to hear it so maybe not, but surely people were asking, right? Either way, his O looks back to old form and it couldn't happen at a better time with playing the best D in the country this weekend. Hope we get bad Bo like LSU did!

If we can get some pressure on him and get him rattled, we'll see it

Offense did not have 1 t/o, but special teams did - Quan Bray fumbled again like he did against Miss St. He needs to get that corrected.

I must have missed him fumbling in that game, I know Louis did but I don't recall quan fumbling

Offense did not have 1 t/o, but special teams did - Quan Bray fumbled again like he did against Miss St. He needs to get that corrected.

I must have missed him fumbling in that game, I know Louis did but I don't recall quan fumbling

quan certainly fumbled after a great return. Ricardo didn't.

Quan fumbled against SC. Ricardo fumbled against MSU. Both were bad.

Wallace is a poster child for panicking easily under pressure. Get to him early and he's a basket case for the game. I look for Moncrief to do damage in that regard this game. Daniels & Garrett too.

Getting to the QB is not something we do well this season.

No, we don't. If the game hangs on us putting unusual pressure on Wallace we'd just as well stay home and save the gas money. I think we'll win but I don't see us winning because of pressuring their QB.

Quan fumbled against SC. Ricardo fumbled against MSU. Both were bad.

yes he fumbled a kick off return on the 18 vs msu. i thought we were talking usce.

I'm riding with Mikey on that one. Unless half their OL is out, we don't have the personnel to get consistent pressure. Haven't done it all year.

I'm riding with Mikey on that one. Unless half their OL is out, we don't have the personnel to get consistent pressure. Haven't done it all year.

Tunsil was out most of the second half due to a biceps injury. With him out the back center, who was starting at center since the true starter was out, moved to Tunisl's spot. A redshirt freshman was then inserted at the center spot.

'LSU held Ole Miss to 107 yards of total offense in the second half, forcing five straight punts to start the half, including four three-and-outs. The Rebels finally put together some first downs on their last two drives, which ended in a turnover on downs and an interception with two seconds left.'

Tunsil was back in on the last two drives mentioned above.

LSU was blitzing right over the center.

No, we don't. If the game hangs on us putting unusual pressure on Wallace we'd just as well stay home and save the gas money. I think we'll win but I don't see us winning because of pressuring their QB.

^This^

All I'll say is if those young guys at LSU can beat the #3 team in the country, so can we.

Playing at night in Baton Rouge was a big help. We have to go there. That is a huge difference. Gonna be not quite like it was in Starkville but they will still be pumped big time.

I have a good feeling about this one! I think we make a statement in Oxford that AU is going to have a say in this year's playoff!

Disclaimer: I also had a feeling that led me to start Romo over Cutler in my FF league this past week, so my feelings aren't all that dependable.

I'm rewatching the Ole Miss game against LSU and I notice two things: 1. there is a HUGE weakness in their OL. I would say much worse than State and LSU's line. 2. Their defense isn't as good as advertised. LSU killed themselves more than once in that game and still managed to win.

I'm rewatching the Ole Miss game against LSU and I notice two things: 1. there is a HUGE weakness in their OL. I would say much worse than State and LSU's line. 2. Their defense isn't as good as advertised. LSU killed themselves more than once in that game and still managed to win.

LSU did, indeed win but they only scored 10 points. I wouldn't write OM's defense off just yet.

LSU did, indeed win but they only scored 10 points. I wouldn't write OM's defense off just yet.

Oh I know. They're good. But I'm saying LSU exposed a lot of their flaws defensively, plus they haven't played an offense as good as AU yet. Heck LSU made our defense look great ;)

Oh I know. They're good. But I'm saying LSU exposed a lot of their flaws defensively, plus they haven't played an offense as good as AU yet. Heck LSU made our defense look great ;)

LSU only scored 10 but didn't they have 4 TOs? They may not have scored any additional points but those TOs definitely killed any momentum at the time.

LSU only scored 10 but didn't they have 4 TOs? They may not have scored any additional points but those TOs definitely killed any momentum at the time.

Yes, the Ole Miss defense did force four turnovers. That's another feather in their cap. I think we can win the game but points will be harder to come by than they have been in most of our games.

Archived