Week 10 (Auburn vs. Ole Miss) - Tiger Talk

RunInRed

Unfortunately, I think they're going to "swing" us to death. Being that our DE haven't kept contain all season, is a bad formula for us.

If CEJ's a good d-co-ordinator, he should be able to slow it down

I'm riding with Mikey on that one. Unless half their OL is out, we don't have the personnel to get consistent pressure. Haven't done it all year.

Tunsil was out most of the second half due to a biceps injury. With him out the back center, who was starting at center since the true starter was out, moved to Tunisl's spot. A redshirt freshman was then inserted at the center spot.

'LSU held Ole Miss to 107 yards of total offense in the second half, forcing five straight punts to start the half, including four three-and-outs. The Rebels finally put together some first downs on their last two drives, which ended in a turnover on downs and an interception with two seconds left.'

Tunsil was back in on the last two drives mentioned above.

LSU was blitzing right over the center.

Yep.

I'm not sure what "swing" means above. Are we talking about swinging a back out of the backfield (the way Carolina hurt us in the first half)? Are we talking about the WR bubble screen? If so, interestingly, Ole Miss didn't run that play a single time against LSU. I asked guys in my office (I work in Jackson with a vast majority of Ole Miss grads), and they said they ran in a couple of times against UT. Basically, it's fallen out of their playbook. Are we talking about a QB boot or naked action to get Wallace out of the pocket? I just don't know.

Only one of those plays is really influenced by a DE's ability to keep contain.

I'm not sure what "swing" means above. Are we talking about swinging a back out of the backfield (the way Carolina hurt us in the first half)? Are we talking about the WR bubble screen? If so, interestingly, Ole Miss didn't run that play a single time against LSU. I asked guys in my office (I work in Jackson with a vast majority of Ole Miss grads), and they said they ran in a couple of times against UT. Basically, it's fallen out of their playbook. Are we talking about a QB boot or naked action to get Wallace out of the pocket? I just don't know.

Only one of those plays is really influenced by a DE's ability to keep contain.

Basically anything horizontal, especially the RB's. I don't think any of their RB's have the girth to hurt us inside. We'll need our entire DL, especially DE to disrupt those plays.

If we hang 35-40ish on the best defense ever (sarcasm), do people start giving our offense more respect or do we hear a bunch of "maybe Ole Miss' defense isn't as good as we thought they were?

If we hang 35-40ish on the best defense ever (sarcasm), do people start giving our offense more respect or do we hear a bunch of "maybe Ole Miss' defense isn't as good as we thought they were?

It depends on how we get to 35-40 points. Does Ole Miss' offense have a lot of turnovers in their own end of the field (particularly if they have a pick six or two)? Do any of those points come on special teams? It would be pretty impressive if we mange to score 35-40 on their defense solely through long, sustained drives.

If we lay that many points against that defense then I will believe a lot more that we have gotten things back on track. They looked good against South Carolina but that defense is pitiful. I'm hopeful about that side of the ball. This is a good test for us.

Well, the offense scored 23 points against the Ole Miss defense last year. In Auburn. They held us to our second lowest total yardage output of the season (Arkansas was lower). If you're holding your breath waiting for our offense to score 40 on Ole Miss in Oxford, you should go ahead a reserve a bed at the hospital.

Ole Miss has allowed single digits 4 out of 7 games, and the most they have allowed is 20 once against TAMU when they had a big lead and TAMU threw it over 50 times.

Even though I am one who thinks their D is overrated, they are very good.

I predicted we drop 31 on them just because I think we have the best O in the nation and we are finally on track.

Archived