Will Duke and Sammie go Pro?

Tiger Vision

With the season officially half over players will be leaning on their decisions to either stay or go pro. I support Duke and Sammie in whatever they decide but after seeing their skills and what they're capable of especially knowing we have next year's front runner for Heisman waiting to take the reins, can we at least imagine or talk about what world would be like if they stayed?!

Pro: They graduate and get their degrees. They destroy the SEC and help take Auburn to Atlanta and then to the playoffs for shot at another NC. It helps with recruiting seeing they are seniors and will be leaving and that CDC can teach you how to be a stud WR

Cons: I don't want to so the cons too negative and I don't want to curse it. lol

The NFL isn't going anywhere but losing out on your senior year at college can only happen once. Lots of players regret it once they go pro. Most don't even make a team. If anyone talks to either one on a regular basis out there please be selfish and talk them into staying lol

War Eagle

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thoughts of JJ throwing to both Duke and Sammie for an entire year would be amazing. If I had to venture a guess, I would say Duke goes and Sammie stays. Duke has already shown he has the hands and probably won't be able to improve his lot enough to warrant the risk. Sammie can improve his draft status quite a bit with a year of JJ throwing to him. The biggest con of course is possible injury.

All depends on where they are projected..

First 3 rounds? Good for them then.

IMO, both fit the eye test, but I'm curious if their production this year will be enough to grant such a projection.

If both get drafted early, it can only help our wide receiver recruiting. We don't need much help, but still, it's there.

I wouldn't be surprised if both come back. Schools can take out insurance policies on players, and with us more likely to sling it around next year they could become high first round picks.

I would love to keep at least one of them and Sammie is the most likley to stay since he has been slowed by injury.

It's going to depend on how Sammie performs on the big stages that await on our schedule. If he shows out in our marquee matchups and we make the playoffs where he shows out again, Sammie could easily be a top 3 pick. Time will tell...... Duke is gone I'd imagine.

Neither is coming back. They both will finish the season strong and Sammie will beast at the combine. He's a legit 6'2 with solid hands and will run a sub 4.4 at the combine.

He's gone gentleman, and so is Duke(no question)

I spec JJ can get the ball to some of our other receivers who would love to catch more balls next year. They'll just need to spend the winter/spring learning to to run better routes.

This thread should be entitled "Will Duke and/or Sammie Go Pro?" I hold out hopes one or both will stick around and no, I don't see that as delusional for many reasons, least of which is not the poosibilities of dry spells/drops/injuries/irrational draft stock/national title disappointment etc.

Duke cant block worth crap, not fast be a possession reciever,which means hes blocking until 3rd and medium.He needs to stay to work on pass and run blocking.He gets called for alot of holes.Sammie to inconsistent doeant rin through routes or gives efforrs amd lay out.Early last year he was lazy,this year no diff,dont care bout knee.

Duke is probably gonna be the second best receiver behind Amari nationally, there's no reason for him to stay unless he wants some statistical monolith with Jeremy throwing. And even then, Sammie (and everyone else) will probably be a lot better, so he's gonna get less targets.

Cooper is a JR.

I thought Duke said he was one and done already?

Yep. And it was repeated on this forum ad nauseam for the entirety of his recruitment, and again in all the previous conversations exactly like this one about Duke and Sammie going pro. Speaking of, the thread title sure reads like an announcement.

Sammie's stock has dropped alot this season. Timely drops have hurt him. He does need another year. He will ball out in the combine, but would be no better than a 4th round pick at this point. Duke would go higher, but I don't think he is a first round pick right now. The receiver at WVU and other Big 12 guys would go higher. Duke does not have the top end speed they look for. Both would benefit from another year. Sammie could work on his ball skills a little more and Duke could work on his conditioning and agility. I believe that if they both go pro, they are leaving a lot of money out on the table. Having said all that, I wouldn't trade either one for anything. Duke has velcro on his hands and Sammie has the crazy top end speed that makes you smile. I hope they both stay because they could absolutely blow it up next year.

I get the sense that Duke wants to go pro after this one, but he may look at the landscape and see if he comes back and puts up monster numbers he could vault himself into a top 10 or 15 pick. He still has weaknesses, such as run blocking. But, man, he catches any and everything in his area. He's still raw as a routerunner. That being said, right now he's a lock for the first 2 rounds. Cooper is without a doubt the top WR prospect, but if I remove my bias, there are a lot of strong candidates behind him. Jaelen Strong (ASU) Kevin White (WVU) and DeVante Parker (Louisville) will be in that mix along with Duke. Regardless, Duke is going to get drafted in probably the first 50 picks with a good chance to move up into the first round. He's gone. Nice having you, #1. Go make your millions.

Sammie is a good receiver, but I think if he leaves after this year he will be making a mistake, unless he turns up his production the rest of the way. He is going to test off the charts physically. He's big, fast, and strong. I worry a little about his hands, his blocking, and whether he'll ever be able to run anything other than 2 routes in the NFL. He runs away from guys in college, but in the league these guys are just as fast as he is. At this point, I think he's still probably a third round guy at WORST, but if he comes back and puts up numbers parallel to his sophomore campaign in a (probably) more pass happy attack, he could be a first round pick in 2016.

Another thing, I'm just as excited about Jeremy Johnson as most are. I think and hope he's going to be a great player. But, I really wish people would stop anointing him as a first round pick or the "Heisman front runner" before he has even started and finished an entire meaningful football game at this level.

I think both of those guys would be first rounders with Jeremy throwing the ball. Receivers look so much better when they are hit in stride and are able to get yards after the catch. With Nick throwing the ball they are rarely hit in stride and are more likely to have to go down on the ground, up in the sky, or make some other sort of circus move just to try to get to get the ball. It is really frustrating as a receiver to run a good route and get open only to watch the ball sail 10 feet over your head.

I think both of those guys would be first rounders with Jeremy throwing the ball. Receivers look so much better when they are hit in stride and are able to get yards after the catch. With Nick throwing the ball they are rarely hit in stride and are more likely to have to go down on the ground, up in the sky, or make some other sort of circus move just to try to get to get the ball. It is really frustrating as a receiver to run a good route and get open only to watch the ball sail 10 feet over your head.

Yeah, but it is fun watching Duke catch a ball that you don't think anyone could catch. I can name about 10 or 12 catches he has made this year that a normal receiver would have no business catching. It does make me cringe when Nick throws a bad ball, but as long as it is close to Duke, he is coming down with it.

Archived