Spotlight on the cross-buck action

StatTiger

One of the keys to offensive success against the Gamecocks was the use of 2-backs by the Auburn offense. The cross-buck action places stress on opposing defenses, especially with Nick Marshall as a third option. Defenses are forced to cover both edges as well as the middle. Gus Malzahn was able to compliment the outside runs with the inside power plays, which prevented the Gamecock defense from selling out at the point of attack. Look for Auburn to continue utilizing 2-back sets moving forward.

The play...

USC-Marshall37TD_zpsdc09baab.jpg

On this play Auburn has a 2nd & 4 at the South Carolina 37-yard line. The Tigers come out in a 2-back set with Roc Thomas and Corey Grant. At the snap Grant will shoot out of the backfield as Nick Marshall fakes the inside give to Thomas. The DE plays the inside run, allowing Marshall to sprint to the corner. The Spur (Star) for Gamecocks is forced to play the slot-WR and the QB. Marshall gives a pass-look, forcing the Spur to lock onto the WR.

Nick Marshall turns up field and cuts back to the middle of the field. He is able to speed down field for 37-yards and a touchdown. Note how Corey Grant was not accounted for after leaving the backfield. This could turn into a pass-option later down the road.

Noticed that as well, I like the fact of Corey and roc on the field at the same time. Can't key on Corey anymore for the speed sweep

And if it's not a sweep, he pulls a defender with him to the flats like this play. Beautiful....WDE!

The linebacker looks frozen in place. He was very slow to react. Of course if I had big Shon bearing down on me I would be paralyzed in fear.

I wonder how we handle this linebacker if we want to include the pass option. Because if we take the pass option, couldn't we be flagged for having an ineligible man downfield?

These offensive photo narratives are spectacular, thanks Stat! Can we get some of our D to see what's good & less so about what's going on there? It could be done in such a way as to be analytical - like the offensive ones - not critical. Mods?

Noticed that as well, I like the fact of Corey and roc on the field at the same time. Can't key on Corey anymore for the speed sweep

And if it's not a sweep, he pulls a defender with him to the flats like this play. Beautiful....WDE!

Yes it is. Can't wait to see Braden Smith get on the field pulling and blocking for one of our backs, that will be scary-beautiful to see.

The linebacker looks frozen in place. He was very slow to react. Of course if I had big Shon bearing down on me I would be paralyzed in fear.

I wonder how we handle this linebacker if we want to include the pass option. Because if we take the pass option, couldn't we be flagged for having an ineligible man downfield?

LOS is ~37 the receiver is at or behind the 40, the pass is behind the LOS so we are good if Nick forgets this and passed past the 37 then yes we would incur a penalty. So either Shon shouldn't have gone down-field or we only pass to the receiver behind the line

LOS is ~37 the receiver is at or behind the 40, the pass is behind the LOS so we are good if Nick forgets this and passed past the 37 then yes we would incur a penalty. So either Shon shouldn't have gone down-field or we only pass to the receiver behind the line

Thanks! I forgot about the exception when throwing behind the line of scrimmage. I'm assuming it was a read option on the fake to Roc, since we left the DE unblocked. These are really tough plays to defend!

I think it was a couple of these "cross-buck action" plays where I noticed the only thing I didn't really like about Corey's performance in the game -- his downfield blocking (or lackthereof). I could be wrong, of course, and maybe there's something else he's supposed to be doing. But it seemed like on at least two of Nick's TD runs, Corey was kind of standing there vaguely in the way of a defender rather than engaging him.

Anyone else notice that?

Before he passes the line of scrimmage it's possible he has two receivers to throw to?! Grant streaking up the middle and looks like Quan on the outside. Whoa

Also less likely of a batted ball on the roll out. Marshall is better throwing in this situation. Great play.

I used a variation of this play when I coached middle school but out of the wishbone. You have the QB fake to the RB in one direction with a lead blocker. if the defense reacts you turn and hand to the opposite back from the other side of the formation where he has a chance at sprinting to the corner or a one on one. It's a great concept out of this formation for sure.

Hey Stat, I know that teams have analysts that look at film and break down our plays, but do you ever wonder if you make it easy for them? They probably get a lot more time on the golf course because of you! lol

Hey Stat, I know that teams have analysts that look at film and break down our plays, but do you ever wonder if you make it easy for them? They probably get a lot more time on the golf course because of you! lol

no gus has done it on espn. He said there are not any secrets in cfb.

Archived