Oxford...Who has been?

Ravad

We are staying in Tunica for the weekend and the plan was to drive down to Oxford to "Party in the Grove" and possibly go to the game if the prices come down.

However, the more I read about game day in Oxford it is making me second guess this plan.

Things like...

Dry Campus

No Parking

Cops everywhere

Very difficult to tailgate on campus if you are a visitor.

So my question...What have your Oxford experiences been like?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my money, Oxford is the #1 road trip in the SEC, and I've been to 11 of the 14 stadiums. I've never heard of the dry campus part and yes, tailgating on campus can be tough for non-Ole Miss folks, but I'm not huge into tailgating at road games since I prefer to travel light and see different things. The stadium is pretty small, but it's louder than one would think when looking at it. Also, get there early because of limited parking and the non-interstate roads into town. Lots of cows on the way there.

The Square is a 5 minute walk from campus (10-15 to the stadium) and has plenty of drinking/eating options. I'd suggest starting there as it gets pretty busy on gameday. Then head over to campus and walk the Grove. It's really a spectacular set-up and for the most part people are pretty cool. They won't likely invite you for a drink, but they won't give you crap either.

Two things to note:

1) Don't take a shaker with a stick on it if you get tickets. They will cut the stick part off. This was originally done to discourage bringing Confederate Flags.

2) When you're at The Square, ask where to get "Chicken on a Stick". You will be directed to a gas station about a block away. DO NOT LEAVE TOWN WITHOUT GETTING CHICKEN ON A STICK! I can't stress this enough.

Dry Campus

No Parking

Cops everywhere

Please do not be deterred by what you may have heard, because I promise you will enjoy your experience.

1) Dry campus - this is false. Beer is not allowed on campus *technically, but hard liquor most certainly is. Either way, put it in a red cup. If you do that, you won't encounter any problems. If you bring beer, keep it in your cooler unless you are pouring it into said red cup. IF you do plan on going to the game and have a cooler that you are going to leave somewhere like the grove it helps to have a lock on it, as campus police can open your cooler and empty it of any beer, but like I said liquor is good to go.

2) Parking is difficult, but there most certainly is parking. Park in one of the neighborhoods surrounding the square, you can walk to square and campus from there, or you could park near one of the public transit routes and take the bus onto campus. http://www.oxfordms.net/documents/boards/out/blue_route.pdf

3) I wouldn't worry very much about the police, unless you are stumbling around the square, but that's not a good idea where ever you go. Also, Oxford PD hands out a lot of DUI's, and it goes without saying, but don't drive after drinking.

4) If you are wanting to establish a tailgate on campus, as in put up a tent, yeah that will be difficult, but as a visitor its a much better idea to walk around the square, and walk around the grove and the campus. People are friendly, and unless you are just an ass, or a drunk, I'd be surprised if someone didn't invite you for a drink or some food. Ole Miss is extremely proud of their reputation for tailgating, so take advantage.

The above poster had some good advice. Its a night game, so I'd try and get there maybe around 11:00 or so and eat lunch on the square. My quick picks for lunch are Ajax (meat and three), Proud Larry's (pizza with a small outdoor patio), Boure (southern/cajun with a bar and balcony upstairs), City Grocery (upscale southern with a bar and balcony upstairs). After lunch you can walk around the square, or just chill on one of the balconies with some drinks and people watch. You also might want to head into the Library Sports Bar and catch some of the early games. The square has great shopping as well, for both men and women.

The grove is just the grove, go get lost and make friends. There is an ATM on the bottom floor of the student union, and multiple on the square for cash. Mobile restrooms line the grove called "Hotty Toddy Potties" and there are also restrooms in the student union, as well as the Ole Miss Hotel.

Chicken on a stick is kind of a staple, but best enjoyed after copious amounts of alcohol. It should also be noted that there will be a long line of extremely drunk students around 12:30-1:30 am, so I'd probably try and avoid that, unless you are an extremely drunk student, of course.

Most of all, just have fun. Like I said, I promise you will enjoy it.

You can find plenty of space to put up a tent as long as you're nowhere near the grove. If you want to be in that action find someone that has a plot. The spots are handed down within families and they don't switch hands often. It's not a free for all pick your spot each week. Folks are in the same place for 30 years.

Other than that, Oxford is great. It's possibly the least dry campus on gameday in the SEC. Baton Rouge is the only competition on the amount if boourbon consumed per game. Don't be a drunk a-hole or a drunk driver and no one will bother you (cops included).

For a hole in the wall but awesome BBQ place, hit Bee's BBQ. It's in a gas station but trust, it's very good.

I think the beer is sold hot, no cold beer in service stations.....at least in 2000 it was hot.

This has since changed. And I'll second Bee's BBQ, on South Lamar right off of hwy 6.

I thought the fans were a little dooshy in 2006. We got some lip as we left the stadium, not sure why. They made a good game of it, but they knew they were gonna get the L.

Dry Campus

No Parking

Cops everywhere

Please do not be deterred by what you may have heard, because I promise you will enjoy your experience.

1) Dry campus - this is false. Beer is not allowed on campus *technically, but hard liquor most certainly is. Either way, put it in a red cup. If you do that, you won't encounter any problems. If you bring beer, keep it in your cooler unless you are pouring it into said red cup. IF you do plan on going to the game and have a cooler that you are going to leave somewhere like the grove it helps to have a lock on it, as campus police can open your cooler and empty it of any beer, but like I said liquor is good to go.

I'm not going but it sounds like this dry campus rule is pretty serious. I know Auburn is a dry campus but that gets lifted on gameday. Seems stupid for Oxford to keep it dry....

I don't have a dog in this hunt, as I'm not going but I'm curious after reading all these "dry campus" mentions...

Wouldn't that be like a "dry county"... doesn't mean you cannot possess it...just that you can't buy it there??

Dry Campus

No Parking

Cops everywhere

I'm not going but it sounds like this dry campus rule is pretty serious. I know Auburn is a dry campus but that gets lifted on gameday. Seems stupid for Oxford to keep it dry....

It isn't dry. Like I said, liquor is allowed. Beer technically is not, but that ruling was made because of fraternity parties, and for no other reason. If its in a cup you are good to go.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, as I'm not going but I'm curious after reading all these "dry campus" mentions...

Wouldn't that be like a "dry county"... doesn't mean you cannot possess it...just that you can't buy it there??

Well Lafayette county is not dry, and neither is the campus. I don't know why people keep saying its a dry campus, because it isn't.

Well Lafayette county is not dry, and neither is the campus. I don't know why people keep saying its a dry campus, because it isn't.

I wouldn't have thought it would be either but having grown up in the Bible belt, you never know. I'm sure it's not like down here, in the Sarasota, FL area where I live, where there's a liquor store on every corner and even Wal-Mart & Walgreens have their own liquor stores attached but I still figured, it's a college campus.

I wouldn't have thought it would be either but having grown up in the Bible belt, you never know. I'm sure it's not like down here, in the Sarasota, FL area where I live where there's a liquor store on every corner and even Wal-Mart & Walgreens have their own liquor stores attached...

Right. And don't get me wrong, until recently their alcohol laws were pretty antiquated. Within the past 3-4 years the sale of high gravity beer has become legal, the sale of cold beer has become legal, and the sale of alcohol on Sundays has become legal.

Still no booze on Sunday in Jackson. Is that really allowed in Oxford? Starkville was one of the last places to have the no cold beer law. It was changed 6 years ago (or there about... Dan Camp was the mayor and that was the number one platform item).

Still no booze on Sunday in Jackson. Is that really allowed in Oxford? Starkville was one of the last places to have the no cold beer law. It was changed 6 years ago (or there about... Dan Camp was the mayor and that was the number one platform item).

It is allowed, at least in restaurants and bars. Although, I'm unsure as to whether you can purchase alcohol from a store on Sunday.

I went. We won. I didn't like the town. Just a cold day I suppose. 2002.

It was cold that day and this weekend the high is going to be in the low to mid 50's and lows near freezing. Be prepared.

Not overly impressed when I have been there. Ran into friends that are OM grads while there and the attitude was a little different than when they are home. One of the best road trips comes next year for me. Not necessarily the game day atmosphere as much as planning a full trip to take in everything Kentucky has to offer. Distilleries, horse farms to visit along with a beautiful drive.

Was there almost 20 years ago and the experience was great, friendly fans if you are not a douche and all around good people...success may have gone to the drunkards heads as a warning

I'd love to go, as I only live 2 hours away, but tickets seem to be outrageous.

My sister lives on Oxford. She's a retired professor at Ole Miss but an AU grad that bleeds burnt orange and blue. Last time I was there a few years ago they had the no cold beer sales in effect, but it was not a dry town.

Archived