Spotlight on perhaps the biggest "key" for the Ole Miss game

StatTiger

Lutz LSU says Hi. There is only one common opponent in which to measure and that is LSU. We did benefit by having them at home but we beat them 41-7 and they lost 10-7. We were a lot more successful against their defense than OM was, and the games were just a few weeks apart, so no major change in either team. Looking at OM's claim to fame uat was it and I still think with uat's performance against Arky and UT show they are not as good as advertised, The only thing that will beat us at OM is ourselves as we did at MSU with the early turn-overs and I am sure that Gus has addressed the problem. WDE

One game comparison are rarely accurate. Utilizing this theory, Auburn should beat A&M by at least 60 if we are to believe Auburn is a better team than Alabama.

Just curious stat, what makes you think we'll be able to run on the rebels? Personally, I think we will as well, but that is more fan-speak and believing that our running game is back to hitting its stride. But I'm curious if what technical reasons you have for your confidence in our running game. WDE.

Not stat, but I have a little personal insight. LSU was able to run on OM. Our run game is much better than LSUs. Given that LSU has given somewhat of a blueprint on what works in th running game against OM, I expect Gus will be able to exploit their D. Also our run game hit full stride last week and I expect it will continue.

Auburn's inside running game is nowhere near as proficient as LSU's inside running game. You've seen all the 'wasted' plays we keep running into the center of the line for no-gain or a loss of a yard haven't you? Seems like it's every 4th play or so. That's Auburn's inside running game. It's a glaringly obvious Auburn O weakness. It's so bad that I cringe when we run those because I consider them nothing more than wasted opportunities to run something that might actually work. (This may just my perception. It would be interesting to know how successful those plays have actually been against the better defenses.)

Not surprisingly, the Ole Miss defense's greatest weakness is up its middle. I'm sure you now see how LSU was able to drive down the field pushing solely up the middle. Conversely, Auburn's strength, running off the ends plays directly against the strongest part of the Ole Miss D whose lateral pursuit is just incredible. Now you see why Auburn is picked to lose this game.

Of course, I'm just a fan and could be wrong.

Think that tells you we need to run up the middle this game, something we have obviously proved we like to do!

USCe wasn't at their best with runs up the middle either and AU was able to take advantage of that. Plus, CAP seemed much more adept at busting a middle play outside if nothing was there. Maybe, just maybe, that tells us something going into tomorrow. Hopefully OM's Achilles Heel is ripe to be taken advantage of.

People like to throw out that another team (KSU for example) gave everybody else the blueprint for stopping AU...well, maybe LSU gave AU the blueprint for attacking OM.

Ole Miss' defensive line is above average overall with an average strength middle. LSU's offensive middle is very strong and they were able to take advantage. We have not been very successful up the middle this year against average defensive lines (but not for not trying and trying and trying...). I think this is a frustration to Malzahn and this weakness is limiting the release of the true power of CGM's offensive deathstar. Well, that and Marshall's overthrows...

Your plan for the bounce outside is exactly what Ole Miss would like to see. That's where their power is and they can stop it. Getting through the middle is key for Auburn, so much so I'd like to see Marshall take some snaps under center to make whatever hole might be there available to CAP before it closes up, getting him into the secondary and eventually forcing a defensive bias away from the edges.

Or... I could be wrong.

Maybe Carolina is the worst D we've played this season; but I think we ran up the middle pretty well last game. Also, Nick only had, what, two incompletions last game? Sounds like you're focusing on things that we've improved, if not flat out corrected. I think we'll be fine on O. I'm much more concerned about getting some pressure on Bo.

When properly executed, this play looks impossible to stop.

This is the play that Coates scored on in the Iron Bowl last year and was recommended by Pollack to be outlawed. If it is just simply and basically executed it is impossible to stop. This should be the difference between us and LSU that will allow us to run between the tackles AND outside against Ole Miss. It's what makes Malzahn's offense so difficult to stop because the defense has to defend the entire field and play fundamentally flawless. Ask Saban, he wants the entire offense outlawed.

So don't freak out when it looks like CAP is running the dive out of a zone read look.

Maybe Carolina is the worst D we've played this season; but I think we ran up the middle pretty well last game. Also, Nick only had, what, two incompletions last game? Sounds like you're focusing on things that we've improved, if not flat out corrected. I think we'll be fine on O. I'm much more concerned about getting some pressure on Bo.

USCar does not have much of a d-line and we still bumped into it and took a loss a couple of times. My point in mentioning that was to tell AU.72 and Brotha12 that we shouldn't get our hopes up for doing what LSU did. We have different strengths than LSU.

Now about those incompletions. The story there is not that NM had fewer incompletions and that the problem is solved. The story is that the coaching staff decided to totally give up on the long pass plays to Sammy Coates because Marshall couldn't make them happen. A long pass threat forces the defense to play the whole field and makes all other plays easier and yet CGM completely removed it from the playbook in favor of shorter routes to receivers and backs in the flats and at the sidelines. That's not improvement or correction. It's trimming the playbook down because the guys can't get it done.

That said, CGM still has an entire arsenal of weapons at his disposal and he is a master at picking the best tools for the job at hand. AU should still run for over 200 yards and score over 20 points. If they do both, they should win this game.

This is the play that Coates scored on in the Iron Bowl last year and was recommended by Pollack to be outlawed. If it is just simply and basically executed it is impossible to stop. This should be the difference between us and LSU that will allow us to run between the tackles AND outside against Ole Miss. It's what makes Malzahn's offense so difficult to stop because the defense has to defend the entire field and play fundamentally flawless. Ask Saban, he wants the entire offense outlawed.

So don't freak out when it looks like CAP is running the dive out of a zone read look.

Actually it isn't the same play. The play to Coates did not involve cross-buck action with 2 RB's. It had only 1 RB in the backfield with the H-Back as a lead blocker. Coates was isolated to one side and ran a route down field. This play has 2 WR's to the run-side and it is the slot-WR that places the safety or OLB in a situation of guarding the slot-WR or pealing off to make the play on the QB. The play to coats involved the CB giving up his responsibility in coverage, thinking Marshall was going to run the ball.

USCar does not have much of a d-line and we still bumped into it and took a loss a couple of times. My point in mentioning that was to tell AU.72 and Brotha12 that we shouldn't get our hopes up for doing what LSU did. We have different strengths than LSU.

Now about those incompletions. The story there is not that NM had fewer incompletions and that the problem is solved. The story is that the coaching staff decided to totally give up on the long pass plays to Sammy Coates because Marshall couldn't make them happen. A long pass threat forces the defense to play the whole field and makes all other plays easier and yet CGM completely removed it from the playbook in favor of shorter routes to receivers and backs in the flats and at the sidelines. That's not improvement or correction. It's trimming the playbook down because the guys can't get it done.

That said, CGM still has an entire arsenal of weapons at his disposal and he is a master at picking the best tools for the job at hand. AU should still run for over 200 yards and score over 20 points. If they do both, they should win this game.

Gus is always going to take what the defense gives. Carolina elected to take the deep ball away so Auburn threw short. The 2nd pass play of the game was a deep out route to Sammie Coates. They later threw deep to Fulse on a wheel-route. The Gamecocks basically played with 6-7 in the box the majority of the game, taking away the deep routes so Gus took what they gave. If Ole Miss elects to defend the run with very little safety help over the top, we will see more deep routes this Saturday night.

That's such a bizarre split between home and away red zone TD percents. I am at a loss.

Auburn's two away games have been against pretty fair teams.

Yep.... MSU is currently #4 nationally in red zone TD Pct (defense). Ole Miss is currently #1 on defense. LSU is No. 33 and Arkansas is No. 106. South Carolina is No. 96.

The crowd noise in Oxford will not be as loud as what we faced at MSU. MSU's cowbells are in a class of their own with the noise they make. I am not saying it will be a quiet as a church mouse. It will be somewhere in the range of what we had at Kansas State. We need to come out smoking and not let up whatsoever.

We know how to win, and we should bank on this strength. LSU played so far above their head last week. Not to take anything away from UM, but they are what they are, and we need to be what we are all game. I honestly think we can go to Oxford and win big. This will be the game where we put it all together for the home stretch.

The crowd noise in Oxford will not be as loud as what we faced at MSU. MSU's cowbells are in a class of their own with the noise they make. I am not saying it will be a quiet as a church mouse. It will be somewhere in the range of what we had at Kansas State. We need to come out smoking and not let up whatsoever.

We know how to win, and we should bank on this strength. LSU played so far above their head last week. Not to take anything away from UM, but they are what they are, and we need to be what we are all game. I honestly think we can go to Oxford and win big. This will be the game where we put it all together for the home stretch.

Good point about the venue and playing well early on will be essential.

Malzahn at Auburn...

Score 10 or more in 1st quarter = .862 win pct

Score 9 or less = .719

Score 6 or less = .545

Score 0 = .428

Under Malzahn (offense), Auburn is 39-6, when winning or tied after the 1st quarter and 9-7, when losing.

I don't expect every single running play to result in a positive gain -- though, to be honest, I don't remember too many losses last game. If we can execute that well on offense the rest of the season, we will be difficult to beat.

We still passed the ball deep a few times last game. I don't think we stayed away from that because we cannot execute it (trimmed the playbook, as you suggested); rather, I think we took what the D was giving and stuck with what was working.

I'm curious how you think we'll 'still rush for over 200 yards' if we are so inept running up the middle and tend only to run to the landsharks' strength. Why won't they just eat us up, then? How are we going to get those rushing yards if we can't run outside (because of the sharks) and can't run inside (because we ineptly bump into things and fall down)? CAP over the top?

I agree that we have different strengths than LSU has. In particular, I think our D is much stronger. I also think our O is much better. We have a better QB, better line, better receivers, and better backs. I think we'll score on OM. May be hard to score too many more than 20, though.

Ole Miss lacks an offense,their pure defense they only beat aggies soundly,but they suck. Alabama and their prob w spread faved ole miss,i knew theyd win,cuz of their d.

I think the Chik-fil-a cows got hold of your phone, litrz.

;)

I don't expect every single running play to result in a positive gain -- though, to be honest, I don't remember too many losses last game. If we can execute that well on offense the rest of the season, we will be difficult to beat.

We still passed the ball deep a few times last game. I don't think we stayed away from that because we cannot execute it (trimmed the playbook, as you suggested); rather, I think we took what the D was giving and stuck with what was working.

I'm curious how you think we'll 'still rush for over 200 yards' if we are so inept running up the middle and tend only to run to the landsharks' strength. Why won't they just eat us up, then? How are we going to get those rushing yards if we can't run outside (because of the sharks) and can't run inside (because we ineptly bump into things and fall down)? CAP over the top?

I agree that we have different strengths than LSU has. In particular, I think our D is much stronger. I also think our O is much better. We have a better QB, better line, better receivers, and better backs. I think we'll score on OM. May be hard to score too many more than 20, though.

200 yards: I think we'll run up some yardage (probably not up the middle) mostly because that's Auburn's thing. But I think AU will be less consistent at maintaining drives for scores. The OM defense will be better able to make the plays to stop drives, not necessarily stop individual plays for yardage. I think if the AU offense runs for 200 yds, which is more than Ole Miss usually allows, it'll show we're having our way and are controlling the game.

20 points: OM doesn't allow 20pts. and doesn't score well enough to make 20 pts on AU unless Lil' Bo plays his best game. I do expect Lil' Bo to put up a lot of passes for big yardage, including opening up the long game. Unfortunately, the long game usually triggers EJ's Prevent instincts, which makes me cringe.

My big hope is that Ole Miss is mostly hype, that AU is a team of a higher caliber and we push OM up and down the field at will.

If Ole Miss elects to defend the run with very little safety help over the top, we will see more deep routes this Saturday night.

I really hope to see more down field passing. I know CGM uses it mostly just to open up the run game, but it's important to force an opponent to defend the entire field on every play. It really does help make the Auburn offensive magic happen.

Really not sold on MSU. Wet weather was a big factor in my opinion. KSU is an slightly above average team. I give the credit in the fact that we went to their place and won. I'm not yet sold on our team. Not sure what it is, just doesn't seem like the team is playing as one. Here is to hoping that this game puts all the doubt away.

I'm not yet sold on our team. Not sure what it is, just doesn't seem like the team is playing as one. Here is to hoping that this game puts all the doubt away.

I feel the same way.

I am suspect of all the substitutions. I understand we want to have fresh legs in the game as often as possible but I am concerned that the frequent substitutions is disrupting rhythm, especially on defense.

I'm not saying the we should not substitute, I'm just saying that I see players that are playing well suddenly leave the game. I know we want to keep them fresh for late in the game but if they are making an impact on a drive, especially if they just made a big play, I would think it would be more prudent to leave them in for the series.

But then again, I'm not a D1 coach so I guess I will just watch from my recliner and see how it turns out. LOL.

The only thing that really matters in this game is, have we hit our stride yet or not. If our D plays as bad as last week and our O plays as good, we win close again. If we see improvement on both sides, we win big. If our O struggles and D continues to struggle, we lose big. I personally think we win big and prove that we are back.

dude you know how this team does,it's either or, it's gonna be a close game no doubt

Archived