So if we moved on from Ellis J... (Edit we did)

Dual-Threat Rigby

Guest jojo1515

If Malzahn doesn't win a (some) championships, Jacobs is getting dumped. It's bad when we may not even be able to hire the best product available because of the hole he put us in.

I know there's at least a minor thought (benefit of the doubt here) in that post somewhere, but damned if i can find it...

??Is he saying Jacobs hired Ellis or that Malzahn wasn't the best product?? Honey when is the moon over?

I didn't phrase that the way I wanted to, the financial hole that Jacobs put us in might force us to be unable to hire the best product possible at DC, and if Malzahn doesn't win a few championships, he's gonna be getting his walking papers.

Lol so Malzahn has to win championships to stay at Auburn? You know this how?

This as simple as can possibly be, Jacobs will get fired unless Malzahn wins championships. Can you understand that?

Surely you can see why he misunderstood that sentence even after you clarified--just based on how you worded it.

The previous two iterations mentioned Jacobs in trouble, either he didn't read those or he just didn't care

Alright so let me get this straight, Malzahn doesn't win championships (he already has one under his belt as our HC mind you) Jacobs gets the boot because...? You know this how? Can I also ask why you've basically called for every single coach's head on Auburn's staff this past week?

If you call Ellis Johnson every single coach on the staff then I guess I have

And I'm talking about National Championships, the ones that count at the end of the season, under Jacobs, we've won one championship, lost one, missed one as an undefeated team, and have been in a financial hole for a few years now.... that's pretty nice for a top 15 program right?

How many years have you been following Auburn football? No Auburn athletic director has ever had a football team play for two national championships except Jacobs. Only one other AD in the modern era has been here when we won a national title. Not the first time AU athletics has run a negative financial.

How many other ADs have had a period of time where Auburn was this good recruiting? I'll answer that, none. Jacobs can't coach the teams to be consistent, but he has to make sure the guys are in place to keep that going. Just cause Auburn is/has never been consistent doesn't mean he gets some slack for that

The fact that this discussion made it this far is disturbing from every angle

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

Back on topic.....

Bud Foster would be interesting (may have already been mentioned somewhere in the midst)...he almost always has a top 25 defense and has been trying to become a head coach. It seems VT may be holding him back from his HC goals. AU may could change that for him...

I don't know who the defensive coordinator is at Samford, but I was impressed. He didn't have the athletes to compete with AU, but his defensive strategy frustrated our offense. Hmmmm.

They also had our offensive signals down. Had they not had those, we would'nt have been so stagnant until mid way through the 2nd quarter.

As a defense, it's easy to stop what's coming if you know the play before hand.

I don't know who the defensive coordinator is at Samford, but I was impressed. He didn't have the athletes to compete with AU, but his defensive strategy frustrated our offense. Hmmmm.

They also had our offensive signals down. Had they not had those, we would'nt have been so stagnant until mid way through the 2nd quarter.

I don't buy this. We should have been able to tell Samford what play we were running every time and they should not have been able to stop us due to the difference in talent. I see that as a lame excuse.

Guest jojo1515

I don't buy this. We should have been able to tell Samford what play we were running every time and they should not have been able to stop us due to the difference in talent. I see that as a lame excuse.

How about we were playing Samford and weren't really trying....once we started trying we scored very quickly a few times and then let off the gas again. Are we really dissecting a game that no one cared about and was just a glorified scrimmage? It doesn't matter what happened in that game. It was designed to not matter.

How about we were playing Samford and weren't really trying....once we started trying we scored very quickly a few times and then let off the gas again. Are we really dissecting a game that no one cared about and was just a glorified scrimmage? It doesn't matter what happened in that game. It was designed to not matter.

i hope this next one matters. I hope we can reprogram our players.

Yep....just two objectives...win the game and don't get anyone hurt. Worked out fine and did not show bama anything.

Yep....just two objectives...win the game and don't get anyone hurt. Worked out fine and did not show bama anything.

As if bama doesn't have enough film on us to know what we do and don't. If the objective is to not get anyone hurt then the best thing is to play hard and get a big enough lead quick enough so that the starters can be pulled and get the reserves some valuable experience. It's a natural tendency to want to put the best spin on a game but in reality this was another typical less than focused effort.

Anybody notice how when asked about the eye candy during our plays Saban said something like it's a method to what we do....I sort of took that like he's saying he understands what we are doing on offense now. Did anybody else take it that way or am I being a little paranoid?

Nope both are paranoid. Its been said since last year that our eye candy and window dressing was part of our offense. Has nothing to do with anyone's ability to know what we do. Considering we run 5 different plays out of one formation to begin with.

Last year we were successful because we were New, no one knew our tendencies or offensive identity including Auburn. We didn't figure out what we wanted to do till the AM game. We also were playing pissed with a chip on our shoulder after being embarrassed the year before. On D we were able to play with enough edge and make plays off emotion to keep the D playing at a high enough level.

On D we had an excellent pass rusher who demanded double teams.

When people say we won because we were new I feel that's taking credit away from how good we really were.

When people say we won because we were new I feel that's taking credit away from how good we really were.

That makes it sound like we were a one hit wonder and that now everybody has us figured out and that's it. People have made some adjustments but we have really just been our own worst enemy this year with penalties and all the other mistakes.

Guest jojo1515

I think what Saban really knows is that we can't execute that eye candy the same anymore....he and everyone else knew about the style of offense last year as well, we just could do it better.

Agree.

There is a method to the madness. All the movement is meant to get the defense spread out and confused on which way the ball went. Having the non stop fake read option takes away the ability of NM to lead the play toward the holes opened in the D with the pre snap motion. Without a true read option, the D can ignore the motion and play assignment football which is much harder to beat than out of position confused defenders.

I think what Saban really knows is that we can't execute that eye candy the same anymore....he and everyone else knew about the style of offense last year as well, we just could do it better.

Agree.

There is a method to the madness. All the movement is meant to get the defense spread out and confused on which way the ball went. Having the non stop fake read option takes away the ability of NM to lead the play toward the holes opened in the D with the pre snap motion. Without a true read option, the D can ignore the motion and play assignment football which is much harder to beat than out of position confused defenders.

hopefully Malzahn reimplements the read option or we're gonna be watching Alabama in the playoffs.

Agree.

hopefully Malzahn reimplements the read option or we're gonna be watching Alabama in the playoffs.

Good luck with that. If the team could do it, Gus would be running it all the time. Check me if I'm wrong here, but Gus has had a guideline of not running uptempo unless the offense earns a first down running slow-ball. I think he needs to toss that particular requirement and just run uptempo all the time whether it's true read-option or not. This team, for whatever reason, just doesn't seem to click going slow.

he was the One giving the D a spark (DF). That spark made others play at higher level.

Agree.

Easier said than done without Prosch's blocking...

I'm just hoping we can play a game without any fumbles, with fewer penalties and no INTs....that's the key to beating bama...just don't beat ourselves...which has been a problem this year.

I'm just hoping we can play a game without any fumbles, with fewer penalties and no INTs....that's the key to beating bama...just don't beat ourselves...which has been a problem this year.

This is the bottom line. In all the games we lost, without untimely penalties and turnovers, we'd likely have won. In all the games we won, we minimized mistakes. This team is capable of beating Bama. But we won't do it if we play like we have in recent weeks. If the team plays like it did against LSU, though, watch out!

Guest jojo1515

Agree.

Easier said than done without Prosch's blocking...

While technically true, the fake read option is more in need of Prosch than the real one. A true read sends the play to the best spot where blocking is less crucial. A fake read requires near perfection in blocking as it is more likely to go towards a higher number of defenders

Archived