New Orleans

23 Power 5 conference offers including 10 from the SEC

AU offered Feb. 21, 2014

Selected to play in the Under Armour All American game in January

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://auburn.247spo...Auburn-32785643

Five-star receiver Tyron Johnson of New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton said Sunday on Twitter he will officially visit Auburn.

However, Johnson said the visit would be next weekend. The Tigers are out of town, playing Georgia on the road.

He's likely getting his dates mixed up. The Tigers are at home vs. Samford the following weekend.

Johnson is the No. 2 receiver and No. 21 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite.

He visited Auburn earlier this year, but AuburnUndercover reported last week his communication with the Tigers has picked up of late.

Whoa whoa whoa... How have we not heard about this kid earlier?

Because there was not much chatter on him related to AU since he last visited here in April. He's been mentioned sporadically since but not enough for me to post something til now IMO

We need pure receivers. He have some excellent athletes, but I want some receivers than run perfect routes, and catch over the shoulder and mid stride. No knock, but I think JJ and some of our back stock of QB's are more suited to such.

FWIW I saw this posted by an LSU fan who seemed level headed.

He's a stud though. The type of WR that makes an easy transition to the next level and plays as a freshman due to him being a spectacular athlete and an extremely polished WR.

I heard DC was after him, but couldn't imagine he'd publicly name Auburn his leader. Johnson is a stud, no doubt.

If we could make inroads into NOLA, it'd be huge.

I heard DC was after him, but couldn't imagine he'd publicly name Auburn his leader. Johnson is a stud, no doubt.

If we could make inroads into NOLA, it'd be huge.

Agreed. Many LSU fans, oddly enough, don't think he goes to the Bengaled Grass Eaters FWIW.

FWIW I saw this posted by an LSU fan who seemed level headed.

He's a stud though. The type of WR that makes an easy transition to the next level and plays as a freshman due to him being a spectacular athlete and an extremely polished WR.

Now that's funny. LSU fan and level headed in the same sentence.

Any indication where he falls in our priority list? Seems like Burt is going to flip. Assuming we take another guy (because that seems like a safe bet), any indication who is the top target among Johnson, Kirk, and Merritt?

Any indication where he falls in our priority list? Seems like Burt is going to flip. Assuming we take another guy (because that seems like a safe bet), any indication who is the top target among Johnson, Kirk, and Merritt?

Likely does not matter. We are at best 3rd for the Kirks. I don't think there is a priority rank on the 3. All 3 are probably first come first serve basis for getting 1 spot after Burt flips.

We'll take all of those we can get. If all four want to sign with AU, we'll sign them all, book it.

We'll take all of those we can get. If all four want to sign with AU, we'll sign them all, book it.

Sounds like our best opportunities for commitments now are Johnson and Burt. All 4 are elite players IMO though.

I generally agree with the make room for top guys statement your repeat over and over. But I'll say we wouldn't take all 4 of those receivers. Atleast I hope we wouldn't. I'm sure the coaches would like to have all 4 but numbers are numbers and there is a limit to how many guys you can take at each spot regardless of talent.

We'll never know because there is no chance all of them would come, but I doubt we'd take them. We'd quietly back out.

We'll never know because there is no chance all of them would come, but I doubt we'd take them. We'd quietly back out.

I think we would take all four. By the time one doesn't make grades and another gets injured we'd be at the 2 we'd like to have. Also, this year we can sign up to 28 and the way we've been whiffing on defensive prospects there's plenty of room.

I'm not convinced that's actually true. Just looking at the "big board" so to speak, I see us in the hunt for Beckner, Payne, DJ Jones, Johnathan Calvin, D'Andre Walker, and Maurice Swain on the defensive line alone. I still believe we're going to land our fair share of those guys (3ish of that crew). That's 23. Add Ivey or Valentine-Okeke. That's 24, and I think we'd take both of those guys in a heartbeat (ahead of some of these WR prospects). And we're still in the running for Holland, Adonis Thomas, and Roquan Smith. If you land even one of those guys, you'd take him ahead of a sixth WR (unquestionably).

Again, this is all academic because there's no chance a guy like Christian Kirk is signing in a six-man WR group, but I think we'd have other guys prioritized above a fifth or sixth WR.

Archived