Week 12 (Auburn vs. Georgia) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

OC Rhett Lashlee

Rhett Lashlee now here. "The last play is kind of one of those unfortunate deals."

Lashlee said "the responsibility falls on me" when it comes to Auburn's mistake on the final play.

Lashlee on Duke Williams: "We're still unsure on that at this time. I'm sure Coach (Gus Malzahn) will have more on that Tuesday."

Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "I'm sure this game will mean a lot to him. ... He's going to go out there and do the best he can."

Lashlee says there's no question Georgia's Ramik Wilson and Amarlo Herrera "are two of the best linebackers" in the SEC.

@wareagleextra

Why check/fumble at end? Lashlee: "We saw something we liked and obviously a lot of the responsibility falls on me, not on the kids."

@bmarcello

Lashlee "we are all disappointed with the result"

Lashlee on the goal line fumble "we had already scored two touchdowns on the same exact play ... I wouldn't second guess that one bit"

Lashlee on UGA defense "they can really rush the passer"

@ITATJason

Lashlee on passing gm: "I think you can se our efficiency go up, our completion percentage has gone up … but there's still room to improve."

Lashlee on Duke Williams' status: "We're still unsure at this time and hoping for the best. … It's a big loss."

Lashlee on pressure on Sammie to step up: "It's not any tougher than it was last year. The good thing is he's getting healthy."

@AUBlog

Lashlee on Quan Bray: "He's come along on deep balls and some of those intermediate plays as the No. 3 guy."

@JFergusonAU

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC Ellis Johnson

Ellis Johnson says Auburn gave up 114 yards after contact on 11 missed tackles against Texas A&M.

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson on Todd Gurley's rushing prowess: "The only thing that has stopped him is the autograph guy."

@bmarcello

Now, Ellis Johnson. "Sometimes, we get off to some bad starts, but players settle down and get to playing well."

Johnson: "The mistakes are really getting us in a hole. Our kids are playing hard...but we have to eliminate those mistakes."

Johnson: "The pass rush disappeared again, and that's my biggest concern. We didn't hit the guy. We didn't get pressure on him."

Johnson: "We've got to eliminate those six to eight plays per game when we don't make them earn it."

Johnson on Hutson Mason: "Looks like he's 25 years old operating that offense...losing a 4-year starter is big but he's picked it right up."

@JFergusonAU

Johnson on Todd Gurley coming back "he's like a time bomb" just waiting for him to go off

Johnson says TJ Davis played pretty good subbing for Jonathon Mincy (back spasms)

@ITATJAson

DC Ellis Johnson: The mistakes are really getting us in a hole. … We're just making mistakes that are uncharacteristic."

Johnson: "The tackling was not good. … (after the bye week) we put a 5-minute tackling circuit in our (practices)."

Johnson on Whitehead's return: "Coach (Malzahn) had a matter of steps and procedures he had to do … And he did everything he was asked."

Johnson on Jermaine Whitehead's return: "We got him back and we definitely wanted to get him in the rotation."

@AUBlog

Johnson said that "missed assignments have come down, but they always seem to be glaring."

Johnson on Whitehead: "He's the only one who's played back there at safety with any experience."

Johnson on Todd Gurley/Nick Chubb: "They've got two backs who could start for anybody. ...

@wareagleextra

On Kyle Allen’s big day: “We didn’t hit the guy. We didn’t get pressure on him."

Mincy was in an out of the lineup last night because of back spasms.

@JayGTate

C.J. Uzomah

Now, C.J. Uzomah. "We've got a bitter taste in our mouths, but we're going to try to get it out this week."

@JFergusonAU

C.J. Uzomah on Duke Williams: "We got to talk to him. He's doing fine. ... He's in great spirits and we know we'll have him back soon."

@JamesCrepea

Jonathan Mincy

Mincy on Jermaine Whitehead back: "It helps extremely well, just somebody that knows the checks without thought."

Jonathon Mincy: "Just coming down to fundamentals … we just have to go out and do our job."

Mincy on whether this is still a championship team: "Definitely it's still going to bring us together and believe we still have a chance."

Mincy: "We still have three more games, we just have to go back out there and win all of them."

@AUBlog

Jonathon Mincy on the pass defense's struggles: "It's just missed communication, something that just started."

Mincy: "Tackling is going to be key, especially with Gurley coming back."

@JFergusonAU

I like what I read. We all know these kids play with huge heart and have incredible potential. They are quite capable of great things.

114 yards after contact on 11 missed tackles against Texas A&M.

Johnson: "The tackling was not good. … (after the bye week) we put a 5-minute tackling circuit in our (practices)."

5 minutes?! 5 minutes?! 5 minutes?

Oh, and after the bye week?!

No wonder we're having issues tackling. If that's the type of attention tackling is getting in practice, the coaches are clearly communicating that tackling is not a priority. But the reality is this: if players can't tackle, it doesn't matter if they're in position to make plays.

No wonder we're having issues tackling. If that's the type of attention tackling is getting in practice, the coaches are clearly communicating that tackling is not a priority. But the reality is this: if players can't tackle, it doesn't matter if they're in position to make plays.

...... :dunno: Where did that come from?

If you decide to spend only 5 minutes on something, and as an afterthought, you are clearly communicating that it's not realiy that important. Actions speak louder than words.

If Johnson wanted to, he could devote any amount of time (within that allowable) to tackling. Frankly, I'd have the team making tackle after tackle this week to communicate clearly that the effort they put forth ON TACKLING in the last game was unacceptable.

There are other threads you can read. I like to hear from those who have influence to change. Plenty of critical threads to choose from.

Oh my bad at first I thought you was somebody that should feel like they can direct people....Then I realized you are you

If you decide to spend only 5 minutes on something, and as an afterthought, you are clearly communicating that it's not realiy that important. Actions speak louder than words.

If Johnson wanted to, he could devote any amount of time (within that allowable) to tackling. Frankly, I'd have the team making tackle after tackle this week to communicate clearly that the effort they put forth ON TACKLING in the last game was unacceptable.

He didn't say it was an after thought. Your making an inference and adding an opinion. I understand frustrations. I don't like poor play (offense/defense/special teams). What is said and done in those five minutes we will never know. What is said in team break out sessions, film room and positions drills as well. They do see the problems. Critics will continue until the defense plays better. Coaches and players are the ones who can make the change. Ellis addressed tackling. Coach Britt still has them on the field doing tackling drills.

There are other threads you can read. I like to hear from those who have influence to change. Plenty of critical threads to choose from.

Oh my bad at first I thought you was somebody that should feel like they can direct people....Then I realized you are you

Kindred spirits we are.

...... :dunno:/> Where did that come from?

Yeah that's crazy. Clearly tackling was going to be very important against a team such as this. Miss the easy tackle it will be a thirty yard gain

He didn't say it was an after thought. Your making an inference and adding an opinion. I understand frustrations. I don't like poor play (offense/defense/special teams). What is said and done in those five minutes we will never know. What is said in team break out sessions, film room and positions drills as well. They do see the problems. Critics will continue until the defense plays better. Coaches and players are the ones who can make the change. Ellis addressed tackling. Coach Britt still has them on the field doing tackling drills.

Yes, I'm making an inference. If something is a priority, you show that by spending time in practice on it. If you only spend 5 minutes in practice on it, what you're showing is that it's not that big a priority.

You can say tackling is a priority all you want. But if it were a really big one, you'd spend more time working on it. That would show that you really believe tackling is a priority.

I guess you disagree. That's fine. But if we continue to spend only 5 minutes on tackling in practice, we'll continue to see players who fail to wrap up, missed tackles, and massive yardage after contact.

Yes, I'm making an inference. If something is a priority, you show that by spending time in practice on it. If you only spend 5 minutes in practice on it, what you're showing is that it's not that big a priority.

You can say tackling is a priority all you want. But if it were a really big one, you'd spend more time working on it. That would show that you really believe tackling is a priority.

I guess you disagree. That's fine. But if we continue to spend only 5 minutes on tackling in practice, we'll continue to see players who fail to wrap up, missed tackles, and massive yardage after contact.

Tackling is important. Your saying tackling is not important to Coach Ellis Johnson.

Tackling is important. Your saying tackling is not important to Coach Ellis Johnson.

I'm saying that if he really thinks it's important, he'd do more than say so and then just spend 5 minutes in practice on it.

Pretend you have kids. You tell them exercise is important. But you spend all your time on the couch (or you spend 5 minutes 3 times a week doing something). What message are you sending?

Gus allots how much time is devoted to each thing during practice. Not Johnson. The fact of the matter is, as long as we have an offensive minded head coach, things are going to be slanted towards the offense. Practice time is spent on perfecting the offense, not on D. Each practice session is limited in time so there are a certain number of reps Gus wants his offense to have in that time. The rest of it goes to the D/special teams.

Just like under Tubs the offense was mediocre/sub par for the most part of his tenure. He spent more time making sure the D was getting right.

You guys are aware that most teams don't have portions of practice devoted to fundamentals during the season, right? It's not particularly common to work "tackling" mid-week. That's the kind of thing you do in spring and two-a-days. Game weeks are for install. He was making the point that, after the bye week, we stepped all the way back to just drilling fundamentals each day. Maybe we shouldn't scheme for opponents at all, and we should only work on tackling drills. I'm sure that would make our communication issues disappear.

Gus allots how much time is devoted to each thing during practice. Not Johnson. The fact of the matter is, as long as we have an offensive minded head coach, things are going to be slanted towards the offense. Practice time is spent on perfecting the offense, not on D. Each practice session is limited in time so there are a certain number of reps Gus wants his offense to have in that time. The rest of it goes to the D/special teams.

Just like under Tubs the offense was mediocre/sub par for the most part of his tenure. He spent more time making sure the D was getting right.

If that's true, then Gus needs to devote more practice time to tackling.

Archived