Week 12 (Auburn vs. Georgia) - Tuesday Updates

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

Auburn HC Gus Malzahn on UGA: "A very good and talented team that we're facing. Offensively the No. 1 scoring offense in our league."

Malzahn: "As a head coach it's my job to get the most out of all three phases (including defensive)."

Malzahn on tackling issues: "We're going to get better."

Malzahn on pass rush leader: "That's a big factor on our defense, to be able to put pressure on a quarterback with our (front) four guys."

Malzahn on Coates being doubled up: "Here's the good thing, we got all of our WRs back from last year. … We're in solid shape even w/o Duke"

Malzahn on Corey Grant: He's definitely a very good player. … Even if he hasn't gotten the carries" he's done other things to help the team.

Malzahn on Duke Williams' status: "He's week-to-week right now. We'll see how he progresses." Adds "it's probably unlikely" he plays Sat.

@AUBlog

Nick Marshall vs. his former Georgia Bulldogs: "It was definitely different last year.. Not as big a deal the second time," said Gus Malzahn

Is Auburn talking about the Prayer in Jordan-Hare? "That's last year. We're concentrating on this year," says Gus Malzahn of Georgia game

@AUGoldMine

Quan Bray

Quan Bray on playing w/o Duke: "If they (double Coates) other people have to step up."

Quan Bray: "We still feel like we control our own destiny."

@AUBlog

Auburn receiver Quan Bray says Tigers still have lot to play for: "We're still in the Top 10…" Move up possible with Georgia, Alabama left

@AUGoldMine

I wonder why Gus mentioned the defense

Because Gus takes responsibility for his team. He is not just a glorified OC, but he is the HEAD coach and takes responsibility for it all, including the defense. I also believe he feels that if he can keep the heat of CEJ, the CEJ can concentrate on improving the defense and Gus will make the hard decision at the end of the season.

Because Gus takes responsibility for his team. He is not just a glorified OC, but he is the HEAD coach and takes responsibility for it all, including the defense. I also believe he feels that if he can keep the heat of CEJ, the CEJ can concentrate on improving the defense and Gus will make the hard decision at the end of the season.

True, I'm pretty sure he also see that our defense looks like a Chinese firedrill at times

Because Gus takes responsibility for his team. He is not just a glorified OC, but he is the HEAD coach and takes responsibility for it all, including the defense. I also believe he feels that if he can keep the heat off CEJ, then CEJ can concentrate on improving the defense and Gus will make the hard decision at the end of the season.

If by "hard decision", you mean releasing CEJ, forget it. Just don't see Gus moving onto another DC at this time. CGM may require certain changes in personnel or take a more hands-on approach to the defense, but I think Gus knows this is probably CEJ's last ride and will give him every opportunity to make it work. I think it would take more than a total thrashing by UGA and bama for Gus to let him go at the end of this season.

Archived