Week 12 (Auburn vs. Georgia) - Wednesday Updates

RunInRed

via the Weekly SEC Teleconference ...

UGA HC Mark Richt

Mark Richt on former Bulldog Nick Marshall: "We believed he could be one of best cornerbacks in America. He's just that talented of a guy."

@AUGoldMine

Richt on Nick Marshall: "We certainly looked at him (at QB) as a possibility. ...We believed he could be a very high draft pick as a corner"

@JamesCrepea

Richt also is very complimentary of how Marshall is playing at quarterback.

Mark Richt calls Cameron Artis-Payne: "a great workhorse, tough...He's very outstanding, and our guys are pretty good, too."

@jzenor

Richt on Todd Gurley: "I don't think (leaving early) ever crossed his mind. ... His first reaction was, 'I want to be out there practicing.'

More Richt on Gurley: "He loves playing football for the University of Georgia and can't wait to do so again."

Richt on the UGA/AU rivalry: "It's always meant a lot to me. ... The timing of when it is" is a big part of it considering implications.

@wareagleextra

Richt on AU running game: "It's definitely a part of what makes it good, the ability to get people doing what they're not suppose to."

Richt on thought of Marshall in the Wildcat: "Oh yeah, absolutely. He's an outstanding runner and a guy that can really throw the football."

UGA HC Mark Richt on AU QB Nick Marshall: "There's no doubt he's a very talented guy. He's playing QB as well as anybody in the league."

Richt on "battle" of top RBs: "They're pretty good, there's no doubt. Artis-Payne is the guy leading the league, ... a great workhorse."

@AUBlog

Mark Richt, when asked if Jeremy Pruitt gameplanning vs. Auburn in BCS title game will help now: "Well, we're about to find out, aren't we?"

@SethEmerson

HC Gus Malzahn

Gus Malzahn now on teleconference. "The rivalry (with Georgia) is one of the better rivalries in college football."

Malzahn on evaluating UGA w/shifting offensive personnel: "They've played without some of their more skill players and now they've got 'em."

@wareagleextra

Malzahn rivarly: "The rivalry is one of the better rivalry in college football, the oldest rivalry in the south … it's going to be a big 1."

Malzahn on whether there's any reason to think UGA-Auburn won't be a shootout: "From a coaches standpoint you just have to be prepared."

Malzahn on defending UGA: "We're going to have to do a lot better against the run to make those play actions not so effective."

@AUBlog

Coach Gus Malzahn says having the Georgia game this week makes it easier to put the TAMU loss behind them.

Malzahn calls pass D woes "a combination of a little of everything" -- lack of pressure, breakdowns due to playing a lot of different guys.

@TheMikeHerndon

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on bouncing back: "We still have a whole lot to play for."

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn on similarities between Artis-Payne and Tre Mason: “Both very tough, both run the ball extremely well between the tackles."

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzahn: "obviously last week we didn't get better in some areas."

@JamesCrepea

Ryan Black / War Eagle Extra (via YouTube)

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said there's been solid practices this week. "The big thing for us is carrying it over. Our guys are committed to that"
Auburn's Gus Malzahn says penalties have been an issue. "We have to be more disciplined, more accountable."

@AUGoldMine

Gus Malzahn on differences b/w Cam Artis-Payne & Tre Mason: "I think they're more similar than they are different."
Malzahn on whether Duke Williams has practiced this week: "No he has not."
Malzahn on the growing number of penalties the last few games: "We have to do a better job with that. And that starts with me."
Malzahn on having so many Georgia-bred players on the roster: "Any time you play your home state I know it's special for those guys."

@AUBlog

Malzahn said he thinks they've gotten better on punt coverage since Kansas State and knows that will be important this week

@wareagleextra

Malzahn said he "knows it's special" for the "40 or so" players Auburn has from the state of Georgia to be playing in Athens this week.

@JFergusonAU

Can Gus take over the defense from now on?

can you give your posting privileges to someone else from now on?

When u do! I can't help it if it doesn't bother u that there is something terribly wrong with this defense. We all have opinions, I'm just the type where I don't beat around the bush on whom I think is at fault for this hopeless defense. When Johnson earns his money by teaching, not directing, then I will give him his due. Until then, ......... Never mind

When u do! I can't help it if it doesn't bother u that there is something terribly wrong with this defense. We all have opinions, I'm just the type where I don't beat around the bush on whom I think is at fault for this hopeless defense. When Johnson earns his money by teaching, not directing, then I will give him his due. Until then, ......... Never mind

It bothers everyone. We just dont need to say it 15 times a day as the only thing we post for a week straight.

It bothers everyone. We just dont need to say it 15 times a day as the only thing we post for a week straight.

^^^GETS IT^^^

:thumbsup:

While I understand your point, a month ago a bunch of people on this board thought we had a top-notch defense. Not sure why anyone thought that in the first place, but perhaps it takes some reminding. Again, I understand the point you are all making, but if some are going to state we have a great defense (when we don't) for 2 months then I think you can handle one month of bitterness. I'm not saying either of you specifically stated we had a top-notch defense, but many on this board did. I call this the "I told you, should've listened" lesson. And perhaps you need the reminder if you think Auburn has a chance to win either of its remaining SEC games because with our pathetic defense we have zero chance. Also, perhaps if enough people complain about the defense over-and-over-and-over again, something will happen.

But I'm sure this board, for the umpteenth year in a row will celebrate a great recruiting secondary class. I recall hearing for so many years recently that we had a dominating class for the defensive backs and then in the offseason mention that it was the strength of the team. I just laugh and laugh. And I'm sure, despite our woes, it will continue. So when people on this board quit thinking we have an awesome defense-year-over-year, with the exception of the last 5 weeks of the football season (which is the only time when they acknowledge the defense is bad), then people like us will quit mentioning it every single day.

While I understand your point, a month ago a bunch of people on this board thought we had a top-notch defense. Not sure why anyone thought that in the first place, but perhaps it takes some reminding. Again, I understand the point you are all making, but if some are going to state we have a great defense (when we don't) for 2 months then I think you can handle one month of bitterness. I'm not saying either of you specifically stated we had a top-notch defense, but many on this board did. I call this the "I told you, should've listened" lesson. And perhaps you need the reminder if you think Auburn has a chance to win either of its remaining SEC games because with our pathetic defense we have zero chance. Also, perhaps if enough people complain about the defense over-and-over-and-over again, something will happen.

But I'm sure this board, for the umpteenth year in a row will celebrate a great recruiting secondary class. I recall hearing for so many years recently that we had a dominating class for the defensive backs and then in the offseason mention that it was the strength of the team. I just laugh and laugh. And I'm sure, despite our woes, it will continue. So when people on this board quit thinking we have an awesome defense-year-over-year, with the exception of the last 5 weeks of the football season (which is the only time when they acknowledge the defense is bad), then people like us will quit mentioning it every single day.

Seriously. My ignore prefs just can't keep up anymore.

For the first 5 games we averaged giving up 14 points a game. This = good defense. Thats why you heard this. And no we dont need to hear the same thing over and over again for a month. WE get it. You and the others dont like our situation. I dont mind stating facts. However when its just the same post every time in every forum no matter what the topic... its annoying and not needed. Thats the difference. We've lost 2 freaking games this season and been in every single dang one of them.

Why does it matter to you?I don't need your permission to speak about a certain topic. There are no puppets on this board.

:thumbsup:/>

This^^

^^^GETS IT^^^

wrong, it didn't bother 99% of this board until Gus and Rhett couldn't score over 40 points every single game to cover for ole Ellis. And if we score 50 while UGA & Bama score 49, you'll be right back sniffing Ellis boxers and slamming those questioning Johnson.

^^^GETS IT^^^

wrong, it didn't bother 99% of this board until Gus and Rhett couldn't score over 40 points every single game to cover for ole Ellis. And if we score 50 while UGA & Bama score 49, you'll be right back sniffing Ellis boxers and slamming those questioning Johnson.

Yep^^

^^^^^^Exactly.Agree to disagree or ignore. Stop the mommy and daddy knows best sanctimonious posts which are 1000x worse.

Second year of his system...do you remember how bad our D was in 2012? 2. Only 1.5 recruiting classes....took off a .5 because the first year they came in way late for recruiting....I haven't seen a good D here at AU since before Tubs left...2010 was a decent D but not a stiffling D like some think we should have now (less than a couple of years of the system being implemented and recruiting)...so I will give the D a pass for now but will not next year. Like others have said...Did anyone expect for us to go to the BCS championship last year? No one gave us a chance....well we have only lost two games so far this year and we are still in the top ten...that is pretty good in my book...yes we have had way more talent on Offense than we have had on D...if you cannot see that well then you are not paying attention. We are lacking in areas and are struggling to get a pass rush this year...is that coaching? I for one doesn't think so...I think it is a talent level (this of course is my opinion...) so let's see who we bring in this recruiting class and see how we look next year. We have some injuries this year in key areas and have had a player that wasn't playing most of the year...that hurts. We also are just recruiting some line backers...others are starting to step up..just my take on the situation.

Talent level is comprised of mostly 4 stars, no excuses for a defense this late in the season to look this bad. IMO, there's only one reason a team can go 11-2 one year, and the next year go.... 0-12........ CEJ

^^^GETS IT^^^

it's not that it doesn't bother us. Because, believe me it does. We just find it tiresome to have to wade through the infinite post from the same people 47 different times a day saying the same crap on every thread possible. It truly has become an exercise of, if you say it loud enough and often enough. The problem is, the vocal minority don't seem to have enough insight to the problems or the sport to justify the vitrious drivel they continue to spew.

I'm sure you'll comeback with some poor attemt to rebutt, but the truth is you haven't one time been able to justly defend any of the problems you continue to harp on. The only thing you seem to know is the defense sucks and it must be EJ's fault and he should be fired. That logic, without acceptance of any underlying or mitigating factors along with your inability to defend your point of view reveals the lack of insight I mentioned above.

If the defense is playing lights out defense , who normally gets the credit? Why is it different when they are out of position, in the wrong coverage and does not tackle like a college team? U can't have it both ways, it's a coaching problem. There is a reason the man went winless at so miss.

Yep, what a tool....

Wonder if he know's posting the same drivel ad nauseum, over and over, and then again, in every nook and cranny doesn't make you look smart, it doesn't offer any insight into the problem (other than what everyone already knows and see's) and likely get's you (next step) included in many a ignore list. So now when he offers some valuable insight it'll be seen by even fewer people.

Opps... :moon:

forgot to turn the other cheek and remember

:noevil:.. can you say .... :byebye:.(ignored most likely, but not by me).

Quote: "Second year of his system...do you remember how bad our D was in 2012? 2. Only 1.5 recruiting classes....took off a .5 because the first year they came in way late for recruiting....

No, you can't do that. This staff "inherited" their two highest rated recruits of their first year, Lawson and Adams, from Chizik's staff. True those two had to be re-sold but they were heading to AU before a coaching change was ever announced. This staff got plenty of good from their first class here.

As for "only second year in the system"....AHEM! All I heard all summer was how Johnson's defenses improved by leaps and bounds in his second year at each of his stops. Someone even posted stats to prove how wrong I was going to be about our defense because Johnson's D always got much better in year two. This IS year two and I'm still waiting for the improvement.

Yep, what a tool....

Wonder if he know's posting the same drivel ad nauseum, over and over, and then again, in every nook and cranny doesn't make you look smart, it doesn't offer any insight into the problem (other than what everyone already knows and see's) and likely get's you (next step) included in many a ignore list. So now when he offers some valuable insight it'll be seen by even fewer people.

Opps... :moon:/>

forgot to turn the other cheek and remember

:noevil:/>.. can you say .... :byebye:/>.(ignored most likely, but not by me).

Do u really think I shed a tear about what u or anybody else think? Lol, if it was left up to u or bird and others on this board, the constitution would be null and void! We all have opinions, it's just that u and others don't like it if it's not up to your standards u feel like u can belittle someone's post. Who died and left u in charge? Smh

Archived