Consistency

juscAUse

Some of you young folks don't understand why some of us hold Coach Dye in such high regard. For a short period of time, 5 or 6 years, Auburn fans knew a couple of things. AU would play hard. For 60 minutes. AU would be competitive, anytime, anywhere. AU would HIT you, and would at the very least be as physical as the opposition. And he got UAT into our stadium. He was a hard man to play for, and a hard man to play against. We could use someone like him on d. I would like to add up the 'stars' on our defensive starters and compare it with Miss. State. I bet we out 'star' them. Bet we don't hold bama to 25.I miss mean defense.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you young folks don't understand why some of us hold Coach Dye in such high regard. For a short period of time, 5 or 6 years, Auburn fans knew a couple of things. AU would play hard. For 60 minutes. AU would be competitive, anytime, anywhere. AU would HIT you, and would at the very least be as physical as the opposition. And he got UAT into our stadium. He was a hard man to play for, and a hard man to play against. We could use someone like him on d. I would like to add up the 'stars' on our defensive starters and compare it with Miss. State. I bet we out 'star' them. Bet we don't hold bama to 25.I miss mean defense.

I know right? I also miss the huge scandals. Ah the good ol days.

Coach Dye was not a hard man to play for.

I probably said that wrong. How about ' if you bought in and did what he demanded, he was not a hard man to play for'. But if you had other views.....you might need to be elsewhere. Better?

I know right? I also miss the huge scandals. Ah the good ol days.

If you were older you would know the 'scandle', and that would be singular, was over steaks for a married player that was claiming his family was starving. Not supplying Dodge Chargers to single players. Did he pay players? I don't know. But as an educated man I would have to wonder who set the baseline? In other words, why pay a player 500 dollars when you can pay him 5? Maybe because you are in a bidding war with experts, who control 70-80 % of the press in Alabama. In other words, Pat Dye did more for Auburn than anyone with the exception of Shug Jordan, so leave him be. He also won 4 SEC titles when amen corner was Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Anybody else done that?

This is the way i see it. AU has always been a program that yoyo's back in forth on being really good one year to slightly above average for several years, and then really bad for a year or two. Just look back at the history. It is there in plain view. Hopefully, CGM can fix the problems we have and keep this thing at peak level for a few years. The current problem is that Bama is currently at a level that dates back to the 70's. There is good and bad with this: good, when you beat that usually means you have a really good team. Bad, its hard to compete at level based on our history.

This is the way i see it. AU has always been a program that yoyo's back in forth on being really good one year to slightly above average for several years, and then really bad for a year or two. Just look back at the history. It is there in plain view. Hopefully, CGM can fix the problems we have and keep this thing at peak level for a few years. The current problem is that Bama is currently at a level that dates back to the 70's. There is good and bad with this: good, when you beat that usually means you have a really good team. Bad, its hard to compete at level based on our history.

Exactly. But my commenting on Dye was to point out that we knew we would be good for 4 or 5 years. We knew it. Maybe not NC caliber, but really good. I was so hoping for that this year. I will be AU forever, but I'm old and it would be nice to debunk the ' they can only be good once in a while ' folks....like Scarbinsky. Who is right. Again. Crap.

We are what you just said good not championship level but good....I don't get the point though are you saying you want coach dye to take over?

I miss the days of Pat Dye smash mouth football and having a defense that was gonna make you earn every little yard that you might get.yo

We may not have won every game, but you knew that you were gonna in a tough fight and we earned your respect for playing hard.

Why is it Alabama seems to have good teams EVERY year with the same coach for 7 or 8 years. Meanwhile, we have 2 or 3 really good teams with our 3rd coach since 2008.

Why is it Alabama seems to have good teams EVERY year with the same coach for 7 or 8 years. Meanwhile, we have 2 or 3 really good teams with our 3rd coach since 2008.

They don't always. After Bear they ran through Perkins and Curry before Stallings stuck for a while. Then there was a revolving door of Dubose, Fran, Price and Shula for 7-8 years before Saban. Meanwhile we had Dye for 10, Bowden for 5, Tuberville for 9. Things go in cycles.

Its because the athletic department at the other school went after what some say is the best head coach. Lets take a look at who AU has gone after since Dye: CTT a coach that never beat auburn while at ole miss. CTB came from samford. CGC had a head coaching record of 5 - 19 while at Iowa St. CGM one year at Ark. St. My point is that you never know how a coach is going to turn out, you can only go by body of work. I dont think those were the top coaches from their body of work at the time they were hired.

We are what you just said good not championship level but good....I don't get the point though are you saying you want coach dye to take over?

No. I'm saying that for 4 or 5 years under Dye fans didn't have to wonder if AU would be good, meaning to compete for SEC championships. I told a family member before the season started that what I wanted more than anything was to see if Gus could make AU relevant two or more years in a row. That's what I was trying to say, that the next great coach at AU will break this ' one good team every 4-5 years ' cycle that we have been in since the 80's. Tubbs got close, but you never really felt like we had turned that corner. Maybe we can't. I will cheer for AU to the end, either way.

They don't always. After Bear they ran through Perkins and Curry before Stallings stuck for a while. Then there was a revolving door of Dubose, Fran, Price and Shula for 7-8 years before Saban. Meanwhile we had Dye for 10, Bowden for 5, Tuberville for 9. Things go in cycles.

dye for 12, tubs 10.i think.bammer went thru hell and will again win saban checks out.

I remember, and I also remember uat was SCARED of AU when he was there roaming the sidelines, although they won't admit it. Now, our defense is punch lines to their jokes, and I for one am very sick of it. If Gus truely believes that we are the best fans, then give us a defense that's gonna give maximum effort, win, lose, or draw. I blame pat dye for how we are as fans now, he literally spoiled us like kids, and we just can't help ourselves.

+1

Things go in cycles - the power teams have ups and downs, i.e. Florida/Tennessee and UAT pre-Saban, heck LSU pre-Saban a mess, AU is currently in the roller coaster.

I know the large majority want Ellis out the door -BUT if we want consistancy we have to exercise patience, let this staff build something and not run a damn coaching carosel every other year. Get a system in place, stick with it and reap the rewards down the road. MSU has done this with Mullen, it took a while but look at them this season.

I know the AU coaching staff has pressure to win and to out do our biggest rivals, but at what point to you step back and understand that Richt/Miles/Saban/Spurrier are seasoned coaches that have been around a while. Give Gus & the staff some time, they will make us happy.

Give Gus & the staff some time, they will make us happy.

You are correct, but the 10-minute attention span, txt me now crowd doesn't look at things for the long haul. They want it all now or they'll move on to their newest video game.

You are correct, but the 10-minute attention span, txt me now crowd doesn't look at things for the long haul. They want it all now or they'll move on to their newest video game.

Hopefully the cooler heads in our program will prevail. Instant gratification ain't always the best for sustained success. This current coaching staff was praised as the best in the buisness last year ~ fast forward 10-12 monts later and fans want to boot half of the coaching staff. :dead:

Hopefully the cooler heads in our program will prevail. Instant gratification ain't always the best for sustained success. This current coaching staff was praised as the best in the buisness last year ~ fast forward 10-12 monts later and fans want to boot half of the coaching staff. :dead:

It's true that many want success now. Mainly, it's because AU's offense can score big right now and they want to strike for the Title while the offense is humming.

However, patience is a virtue and long-term results are important. :thumbsup:

So Gus and Ellis must have seen this little defensive hiccup coming a long way off. Hey, they're probably neck-deep in DEs, LBs and CBs this recruiting class alone! No worries! :cheer:

War Eagle!

Archived