Before we start jumping off the ship...

StatTiger

Something to consider...

Gus Malzahn will be 20-5 after this Saturday as HFC at Auburn, the same record held by Steve Spurrier during his first 25 games at UF.

Both were considered offensive guru's.

Malzahn now has three 14-pt losses or worse (LSU, MSU and UGA).

Spurrier had five 15-pt losses or worse during his first 25 games, playing with better overall talent against a lesser strength of schedule.

Eventually, Spurrier realized a better defense was needed to win a MNC and his offense wasn't going to be enough. I'm quite sure Malzahn realizes this at this point and will make the needed changes. We should give CGM the time to make the adjustments to his staff.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen and THANK YOU Stat!!! Gus will get the job done. We are two years removed from a train wreck. He is building a program.

Got too many ready to 'jump off the top of JH'….we'll be fine…we have good players and I believe coach will do the right thing to get us back on track….

I trust in Gus and he has shown the ability. Look at Arkansas and how long it has taken BB to get his first win, but it does appear his program is improving. Gus started with some good talent, but I do believe he will improve the overall in time but we may have an interim lull before getting there.

Thanks, Stat. I'm a big picture person, gotta look beyond this immediate disappointment. Somehow we've (cfb fans in general, not just the aufam) become pretty demanding and impatient in what we want from our coach. The exceeding performance of 2013 has fed that for us. But I know that no one is more disappointed and determined to succeed than Mahlzan... He'll do what needs to be done.

In the meantime, he's given us a 2nd winning season and another bowl.

Are we comparing the right coaches? Terry Bowden was 28-5-1 his first three seasons. Stever Spurrier only has three 10+ winning seasons in 10 seasons with South Carolina and he has yet to make a BCS bowl.

We got some good breaks last year and overachieved. Unfortunately this gave fans a sense that we should dominate every game and only lose occasionally, and only if the breaks go against us, and then by only a slim margin. That is not reality in the SEC. However, we've got a great coaching staff and a group of very good players and will be in the upper eschelon of the SEC year to year. I've been watching Auburn football for a long time and it will take more than one bad game to get me off the Gus Bus.

Are we comparing the right coaches? Terry Bowden was 28-5-1 his first three seasons. Stever Spurrier only has three 10+ winning seasons in 10 seasons with South Carolina and he has yet to make a BCS bowl.

And here is the proverbial wet blanket on this thread.

Not out of character for him either.

You do know he coached somewhere else before, right? In other news, Paul McCartney used to be in a band.

You need to let this play out. I don't remember any Florida teams that gave up an average of 40 ppg. Steve Spurrier had complete autonomy of his team.

You do know he coached somewhere else before, right? In other news, Paul McCartney used to be in a band.

Wings and some other little known band.

Just saw Mr McCartney at Rollins College a few weeks ago funny he never mention being in a band

Not even close. Bowden failed to utilize his talent on the offensive side of the football. The fact Stephen Davis had only 192 carries in 12 games in 1995, should tell you all you need to know about Bowden. His offenses could not hold a candle to Gus Malzahn or Steve Spurrier. I won't even mention his off the field issues, which is why he's not coaching a major program.

Just saw Mr McCartney at Rollins College a few weeks ago funny he never mention being in a band

May have slipped his mind...

on purpose maybe? He was entertaining

That would be Chizik, not Muschamp. Chizik's 2004 defense was ridiculous and better than anything Muschamp has put on the field.

Either way, neither are returning to Auburn to be a DC.

on purpose maybe? He was entertaining

Well, it was a relatively brief period of his life.

Archived