Week 13 (Auburn vs. Samford) - Sunday Updates

RunInRed

DC Ellis Johnson

Ryan Black / War Eagle Extra (via YouTube)

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson now here. Starts talking about defending the rush. "That eventually became all (UGA) needed to do."

Johnson on Montravius Adams/Gabe Wright returning to end. "At some point we may have to (move them back)."

Johnson on defensive regression: "We have not made enough critical plays to get the offense off the field."

Johnson takes blame for def. issues. "It's always coaching. ... When you have that issue as a coach, you always take that upon yourself."

Johnson on Jeff Whitaker: "He's got a nerve issue in his back. ... We're still doing some examinations."

Johnson jokes that "all Southern males think they know how to win a NASCAR race and coach football."

@wareagleextra

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson: "You have to chalk up some of the 5s and 8s and 7s to Georgia doing a great job (up front)."

Johnson on vs. UGA: "When you have those double series, its not good. … It starts to wear on you."

Auburn Sr. DT Jeff Whitaker has been out the last four games, reportedly didn't travel to Athens.

AU DC Ellis Johnson on criticism: "I can understand some of it. We're frustrated, players are frustrated, obviously fans are frustrated."

@AUBlog

Ellis Johnson says the explosive plays hurt again. Caused by over-running plays and missed tackles

Johnson "it has been kind of like running in quicksand"

@ITATJason

Johnson mentioned "overrunning the football" with Auburn's missed tackles. Georgia had three explosive runs against Auburn.

Johnson: "We haven't knocked the ball loose recently."

Johnson on the defense's struggles: "We have not made enough plays to get the offense off the field."

Johnson on the linebackers: "They played well, but I think they can get better with their consistency."

@JFergusonAU

Ellis Johnson: "We're going to always think it's coaching, because if you don't, you say you don't have answers."

Ellis Johnson: "Right now we've just got to get better."

@JamesCrepea

Auburn coordinator Ellis Johnson on his defense: "I know they're trying hard…"

@AUGoldMine

Ellis Johnson says any time a defense isn’t playing well, he feels like he’s got to fix the way he’s coaching it.

@JoelAEricksonAU

OC Rhett Lashlee

Rhett Lashlee now in the building. "Disappointed. We didn't get it done. ... Obviously as coaches we're disappointed."

Lashlee not sure what happened after first drive. "We didn't get hardly any explosive plays. We felt like we were fighting for everything."

Lashlee wouldn't divulge whether Duke Williams practiced tonight, but said he's "always optimistic" the junior WR will return.

@wareagleextra

Rhett Lashlee. "At every spot, we just didn't get it done. Very disappointed."

@JFergusonAU

Lashlee "they just whipped us, we didn't get it done"

Lashlee says they are optimistic about getting Duke Williams back. Still not there yet

@ITATJason

Lashlee: Positions are always open, and you're always going to play the best guy. … But we're 10 games into the season and know who we have.

Lashlee: "What I can say is Shon didn't play very well last night, especially in pass pro. … But we still have a lot of confidence in Shon."

Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "I was really proud of Nick, it was a tough situation, … he'll be the first to tell you he needed to play better."

@AUBlog

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee: "I never felt like our players quit or gave up. We just didn’t make any plays."

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on what's next: "You're going to learn about our guys, about us."

@AUGoldMine

DC Ellis Johnson

Johnson jokes that "all Southern males think they know how to win a NASCAR race and coach football."

LOL. So true !!

I can make myself available to help. Ask Kevin Harvick if I know what I am doing.

DC Ellis Johnson

LOL. So true !!

so what is he waiting on then?

Johnson takes blame for def. issues. "It's always coaching. ... When you have that issue as a coach, you always take that upon yourself.

Exactly..does he know what to do about it? If not go ask Southern males and females.

At least Ellis is taking responsibility... Better than the previous DC who kept saying, "I don't know" and looked clueless and frustrated.

I think after a while Van Gorder just mentally said f it and was ready to move on...seemed like Chizik mentally wore down on him as well as the putrid offense. Of course, he's one of the few examples of a former Auburn DC that did terrible here continuing to do terrible.

Jones' comment says it all. They can't get the bad play out of their minds.

Possibly. You being a baseball guy, how many times have you seen a good player make an error and follow it up with another one? It happens.

At least Ellis is taking responsibility... Better than the previous DC who kept saying, "I don't know" and looked clueless and frustrated.

I think after a while Van Gorder just mentally said f it and was ready to move on...seemed like Chizik mentally wore down on him as well as the putrid offense. Of course, he's one of the few examples of a former Auburn DC that did terrible here continuing to do terrible.

In fairness, he has only been at Notre Dame one season and their defense isn't terrible. His defense has given up 232 yards passing per game, 150 rushing yards per game and 27 points per game. I would take that today.

In fairness, he has only been at Notre Dame one season and their defense isn't terrible. His defense has given up 232 yards passing per game, 150 rushing yards per game and 27 points per game. I would take that today.

yep we would be at least one, maybe two wins better.

Those are better numbers than ours, but they aren't anything to brag about in the overall picture of college football. BVG has to be the worst assistant coach we've ever had here, considering his high profile and being the alleged "savior" solution when he came here.

The Iron Bowl should be the game we're preparing for not Samford. I understand the whole "one game at a time" mindset, but we need to treat this as a practice and work on our fundamentals.

2 weeks left than some non BCS bowl game. The only thing that matters now is winning the Iron Bowl. Those Updykes are going to be so pissed off and the day of their revenge, after the "Kick 6" is upon us.

They can be pissed all they want, but no win will erase "there goes Davis"!!!

DC Ellis Johnson

LOL. So true !!

Johnson takes blame for def. issues. "It's always coaching. ... When you have that issue as a coach, you always take that upon yourself.

Exactly..does he know what to do about it? If not go ask Southern males and females.

I thought that joke was misplaced and didn't convey a sense of the serious nature of this 5 game defensive skid. His joke aside, most Southern males don't want to be coaches and tell him the how in doing things. But what they can do is see with their own eyes when the same problems persist game after game. Heck, they don't even have to see it.

All they really need to do is watch his weekly presser as he lists the same problems every week. So referring back to his joke, since he is so good at listing the problems every week, most Southern males are probably also thinking....." Uhhh OK, so then DO something about it."

They've got destroyed against all 4 of the good offenses they've faced and even Northwestern blasted them. Maybe if he got another year here, he'd have been able to implemented his system a little better and get the talent here, and maybe that should hold stead at Notre Dame too.

DC Ellis Johnson

LOL. So true !!

I thought that joke was misplaced and didn't convey a sense of the serious nature of this 5 game defensive skid. His joke aside, most Southern males don't want to be coaches and tell him the how in doing things. But what they can do is see with their own eyes when the same problems persist game after game. Heck, they don't even have to see it.

All they really need to do is watch his weekly presser as he lists the same problems every week. So referring back to his joke, since he is so good at listing the problems every week, most Southern males are probably also thinking....." Uhhh OK, so then DO something about it."

I agree. This is not a time for jokes. Defense has been awful. What bothers me is that they are just now talking about moving players around. In the radio pregame Sat, Q talked about how teams will double team Adams and wear him down. They do this since the others cannot defeat a one on one block. I watched Sat and that is exactly what happened. It doesn't take much to think that moving players around, stunting and shooting gaps could create some confusion within the O line, but I did not see any of that.

I think Ellis knows he is in a "lame duck" session. I mean really, what does he care now? Get his check and on to the next thing.

I don't know. I saw a lot of guys trying to rip the ball out of the runner's hands rather than take him down. Usually led to many yards after contact, if you classify as grabbing at the runner's hands contact.

I think Ellis knows he is in a "lame duck" session. I mean really, what does he care now? Get his check and on to the next thing.

I won't believe Ellis is a lame duck until he's quacking his way off the staff.

I'm also not convinced he's 100% to blame. Some of it I think is still Chizik fallout.

Archived