An open letter to UGA fans

RunInRed

An open letter to the UGA fans of /r/cfb from an Auburn fan in Athens this past weekend

Dear UGA fans,

Let me first say that this is 100% honest, and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I genuinely hope that UGA and /r/CFB fans don't get upset about the contents of this "letter," as it is intended to be a genuine request for those fans who frequent /r/cfb, and who I know to be - for the most part - class acts. Please - PLEASE - read this, and correct these wrongs when you see them happen in Athens. I know /r/cfb regulars enjoy posts about how fanbases are good hosts, but this is sadly not one of those posts.

The experience we (my group of friends) had in Athens this weekend was - in a word - awful. Not because of the game, but because of the way we were treated. I am asking UGA fans to remedy this as best they can in future games.

First, it's important to detail what actually happened. Let's start with Friday night. We decided to go to a few bars in Athens, because Athens is certainly known for its bar scene. Note that for the most part we were dressed in neutral colors, although one of us had on an Auburn ball cap and a girl had on a blue scarf with orange trim. Before we entered the first bar we were boo'd. Okay, whatever, it's a rivalry. But then it got taken too far. By the end of the night, I had two drinks thrown at me (and not by anyone I had talked to). The guy in the ball cap had a glass beer bottle thrown in his direction, and later realized he was bleeding. We were spat at (literally) and cussed out. Two of the girls were in tears, and one (the one with the scarf) was genuinely scared she would be assaulted. She got rid of the scarf because she was scared it was making her a target. It's in some dumpster downtown now. We called it an early night and got the hell out of dodge.

So, Saturday. Okay, gametime. Maybe those were just drunks last night, and we had some bad luck. Who knows. Nope. Spat at. CONSTANTLY. I did NOT understand why grown men were literally spitting at me on a regular basis. It was insane. I lost count at 20. I had more drinks thrown at me (although this time it was soda, as we were in the stadium). Luckily I had a waterproof hood on my jacket, so that stayed up the rest of the game. Cussed out again. Leaving the stadium the guys in our group surrounded the girls, at their request, because they did not feel safe (and we left early, both because of the way the game was going and the way the fans were treating us). I was hit upside the back of my head a couple times walking out. I should mention that the girls were being called extremely vulgar things almost the entire game, as well as the night before.

Out of genuine fear for our own safety and well-being, we did not go out that night, but instead stayed at our host's place.

Based on stories I have heard today from other Auburn fans who visited, similar experiences occurred. Spitting on Auburn fans was apparently extremely common, especially the girls. Being screamed at and cussed out were commonplace.

Based on my experiences this weekend, I know Athens is a town I would never take a family to, if I were a father. I know that the only way I would brave it again is if I were in a group composed entirely of adult males, and even then I would not enjoy it - and that is NOT a reaction I should have to visiting another college.

Please, UGA fans on here. Fix this. Visiting fans should not be scared of your town. I know Athens to be a beautiful place, and an excellent city with great attractions. I have been there outside of football, and I loved it. Please, please try to make it more welcoming to the visiting team.

Sincerely,

A concerned Auburn fan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we were protected by the presence of our children. They stuck to verbal assaults.

That being said, the uga women were nice. Three different women offered my daughter handwarmers.

Did have one friendly conversation with a man near the arches, complimentary of our team and how he pulled for us against fsu.

But all words from every other adult male were trash talk. Not a single "Welcome to Athens."

Suck it up big guy. We lost. Don't write moral,victory posts on reddit. That's weak.

+1

Why sound like sour grapes by posting anonymously on "reddit" when your team was the real victim of abuse from the UGA dawgs?

Some of you guys miss the point. It's a football game between 2 colleges. There is never a reason to spit, cuss, or throw things at visiting fans. EVER. If you don't see this then you are a part of the problem.

Maybe UGA fans are too drunk and stupid to show decent hospitality. I sure hope AU people never think there is a reason not to be decent and respectful because of the color of someone's shirt or hat.

I'm not suggesting you have to go out of your way and buy them drinks or dinner, but damn, just be a decent person.

I saw a lot of these kinds of reports from this past weekend. I heard multiple people say they were spit on. (what's the deal with that anyway?) And I saw that someone possibly had sugar put in their gas tank while they were there. But of course if you listen to the unwashed masses commenting on that link on FB, our fans treat ALL UGA and Bammers that way EVERY time they step foot in Auburn. :puke: :puke: :puke:

An open letter to the UGA fans of /r/cfb from an Auburn fan in Athens this past weekend

Dear UGA fans,

Let me first say that this is 100% honest, and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I genuinely hope that UGA and /r/CFB fans don't get upset about the contents of this "letter," as it is intended to be a genuine request for those fans who frequent /r/cfb, and who I know to be - for the most part - class acts. Please - PLEASE - read this, and correct these wrongs when you see them happen in Athens. I know /r/cfb regulars enjoy posts about how fanbases are good hosts, but this is sadly not one of those posts.

The experience we (my group of friends) had in Athens this weekend was - in a word - awful. Not because of the game, but because of the way we were treated. I am asking UGA fans to remedy this as best they can in future games.

First, it's important to detail what actually happened. Let's start with Friday night. We decided to go to a few bars in Athens, because Athens is certainly known for its bar scene. Note that for the most part we were dressed in neutral colors, although one of us had on an Auburn ball cap and a girl had on a blue scarf with orange trim. Before we entered the first bar we were boo'd. Okay, whatever, it's a rivalry. But then it got taken too far. By the end of the night, I had two drinks thrown at me (and not by anyone I had talked to). The guy in the ball cap had a glass beer bottle thrown in his direction, and later realized he was bleeding. We were spat at (literally) and cussed out. Two of the girls were in tears, and one (the one with the scarf) was genuinely scared she would be assaulted. She got rid of the scarf because she was scared it was making her a target. It's in some dumpster downtown now. We called it an early night and got the hell out of dodge.

So, Saturday. Okay, gametime. Maybe those were just drunks last night, and we had some bad luck. Who knows. Nope. Spat at. CONSTANTLY. I did NOT understand why grown men were literally spitting at me on a regular basis. It was insane. I lost count at 20. I had more drinks thrown at me (although this time it was soda, as we were in the stadium). Luckily I had a waterproof hood on my jacket, so that stayed up the rest of the game. Cussed out again. Leaving the stadium the guys in our group surrounded the girls, at their request, because they did not feel safe (and we left early, both because of the way the game was going and the way the fans were treating us). I was hit upside the back of my head a couple times walking out. I should mention that the girls were being called extremely vulgar things almost the entire game, as well as the night before.

Out of genuine fear for our own safety and well-being, we did not go out that night, but instead stayed at our host's place.

Based on stories I have heard today from other Auburn fans who visited, similar experiences occurred. Spitting on Auburn fans was apparently extremely common, especially the girls. Being screamed at and cussed out were commonplace.

Based on my experiences this weekend, I know Athens is a town I would never take a family to, if I were a father. I know that the only way I would brave it again is if I were in a group composed entirely of adult males, and even then I would not enjoy it - and that is NOT a reaction I should have to visiting another college.

Please, UGA fans on here. Fix this. Visiting fans should not be scared of your town. I know Athens to be a beautiful place, and an excellent city with great attractions. I have been there outside of football, and I loved it. Please, please try to make it more welcoming to the visiting team.

Sincerely,

A concerned Auburn fan

Common sense says after the first bottle gets thrown you need to take your ass back to the crib - don't wait around for the 2nd and 3rd bottle and multiple folks spitting for me to gather my group and get the hell out.

Sadly, attending a sporting event as a fan pulling for the visiting team has gotten out of hand at too many venues, And the PTB are not doing much about it. I suppose it will get worse before it gets better.

Athens has been this way since the blackout game. Honestly I grew up with it in the early 80's when Clemson and thUGA played. I have a scar on the top of my head from a beer bottle at the hands of a drunk thUGA student....I was 12.

Athens tops my least favorite place to watch the Tigers play. I didn't go to WVU a few years back but heard it was right up there with it. I respect most of the players at Georgia, but I HATE their fan base.

Living in a tourist town I have to say our visitors from Georgia are usually the rudest that we have to encounter all year. Their spring break is so dreadful that the community more or less locks our doors and waits for them to leave. Sadly, even my wrestling trips to schools in Georgia have been unpleasant for a sport like wrestling! Now I'm not vilifying the entire state but there is definitely a mentality that needs adjusting in certain areas.

Living in a tourist town I have to say our visitors from Georgia are usually the rudest that we have to encounter all year. Their spring break is so dreadful that the community more or less locks our doors and waits for them to leave. Sadly, even my wrestling trips to schools in Georgia have been unpleasant for a sport like wrestling! Now I'm not vilifying the entire state but there is definitely a mentality that needs adjusting in certain areas.

Same thing here in GS but it's LSU instead of UGA.

Give me a break! How do you tell a 12 yo to suck it up? Had to remove the flag from my house Friday night due to UGA fans from a party down the street somewhere stopping to yell obscenities and threats. I handled it by taking down my flag, but my Wife and daughter were not as understanding. They went to her sister's house to sleep. I won't bore you with the details, but a customer/friend who used two of my tickets had a similar experience to this. His wife now says she is done with college football. The behavior was not just 'trash talk', and until your wife and kid feel threatened I would suggest you keep your suggestions on how to handle it to yourself!!

Curious if those saying "suck it up" have ever been to a game outside of Auburn.

This stuff happens all over the country pro and college, and no one should feel or be assaulted just because they weren't wearing home team colors. It should not be tolerated. It's a sport meant to be fun, not gang warfare.

I remember the last time we lost in Athens, the student section starting throwing water bottles etc up at the balcony seating where auburn fans were sitting. Been to Tuscaloosa multiple times and Baton Rouge and I'll never forget how rude the fans were at UGA. On multiple occasions and trips, just seemed particularly worse last couple times.

I think that UGa has as bad of fans as Lsu & Bammer. At Lsu, if you avoid the student section, the older fans are fine and will complement a good play by Auburn. I have been to 4 Auburn and LSU games in BR, and was treated rough at times at all 4 games. However, this was from younger college age fans. The game that we won when Damien Craig was our QB, I was treated fine except by some drunk fans we encountered on our way out. Even then after tempers calmed, we shook hands and parted on a friendly basis.

Rarely do folks get treated poorly at Auburn. We all should take pride in this.

Dear UGA fans,

Sincerely,

A concerned Auburn fan

Common sense says after the first bottle gets thrown you need to take your ass back to the crib - don't wait around for the 2nd and 3rd bottle and multiple folks spitting for me to gather my group and get the hell out.

Sooo, you just crawl out with your "tail" between your legs? I have to call a spade a spade and if that really happened I am glad he posted it. Also, I know some AU fans are not worthy of our family name the way they treat other AU family members (e.g., stealing parking spaces). As a whole though we are much much better than thUGAs and Bammers.

If we had fans making these claims every week, or even one week every year, I might be more skeptical. I don't recall this being reported anywhere else outside of the 'known' issues at LSU. Hopefully, we can set a good example next year and use that to turn some of this around!! It doesn't have to be this bad.

Archived