New GOP House Leadership

RunInRed

The new GOP House Leadership looks nothing like America ...

In the House, 20 men were chosen for 21 key positions — the exception was Rep. Candice Miller, who will continue to chair the House Administration Panel.

Read more: http://www.politico....l#ixzz3JX1V9Z00

20/21 are White Men. Shocker. Not.

committee_chairs.jpg

So, you're going to make this about race? Demagoguing race and the war on women trope has already back fired in a BIG way on you people. I understand it however, because there is NOT ONE SINGLE issue of substance you can run on given the widespread failures of current democrat party..not the economy's recovery because it is the slowest recovery in history...not unemployment because the labor force participation rate is the lowest in over 50 years..not foreign policy because our allies no longer trust us and our enemies no longer fear us...not your signature healthcare law because it was passed on the back of a pack of lies and the people are not happy AT ALL about that. In the end, all you're left with is income inequality, the war on women and racism...GOOD LUCK going forward, the left is going to desperately need it.

All I'm saying is shouldn't the House of REPRESENTATIVES look something, anything, like the American people? Crazy thought, I know ...

- 1 woman out of 21 leadership spots

- 0 African Americans

- 0 Hispanics

Really?

All I'm saying is shouldn't the House of REPRESENTATIVES look something, anything, like the American people? Crazy thought, I know ...

- 0 African Americans

- 0 Hispanics

Really?

Please tell me you;re NOT this uninformed. Mia Love is an african american republican elected to represent Utah. Tim Scott is the 1st african american ever elected to the Senate - a republican from So Carolina.

- 0 African Americans

- 0 Hispanics

Really?

Please tell me you;re NOT this uninformed. Mia Love is an african american republican elected to represent Utah. Tim Scott is the 1st african american ever elected to the Senate - a republican from So Carolina.

Did you even read the thread? ... we're talking about the recently announced committee/leadership appointments to the HOR. 20/21 men. White men. That's not demagoguing or playing the race card or any such. That's just facts.

Bad timing for this thread, 2 weeks after Republican Tim Scott became the first black Senator elected in the South since reconstruction. Black conservative politicians with promising futures that go Republcan get so hounded by their peers for their convictions (according to former Congressman J.C. Watts from Oklahoma) that it takes way, WAY more backbone to stay the course as a black Republican than black Democrat. Until Obama was elected prez (200+ years of opportunities for everybody), the most powerful position attained by a black man in US government was Bush's appointment of Colin Powell as Sec of State (no, Thurgood Marshall had only one vote) and arguably to this day the most powerful position any black woman (and any woman until Pelosi) has achieved in US gov't was his appointment of Condy Rice. Polls of probable voters show many black Democrats reject these "traitors" which sounds like what Dems accuse Repubs of...

- 0 African Americans

- 0 Hispanics

Really?

Did you even read the thread? ... we're talking about the recently announced committee/leadership appointments to the HOR. 20/21 men. White men. Facts.

Sorry, well thats no surpise. Leadership comes with tenure.That african americans have not voted republican is a dynamic that is changing. Brag about a lack of black leadership if it helps you feel better but I think it unwise to get to wound up about this as african americans are waking up to the realities of being taken for granted by you lefties. I believe leadership roles should not be driven by racial quotas. i dont believe reasonable people think race is a factor in appointing the leadership either.

I was actually more surprised by the lack of women than African Americans. 1/21 ... that's less than 5%. Pathetic.

Why if there were more qualified candidates? Do you think racial quotas should take precedence over qualifications? Lastly, are you saying that the white men were appointed over better qualified black candidates for those jobs?

- 0 African Americans

- 0 Hispanics

Really?

Unreal....so tired of this dogma.

I was actually more surprised by the lack of women than African Americans. 1/21 ... that's less than 5%. Pathetic.

What's pathetic is the fact that once again another liberal is screaming divisive taunts from atop the mountain. Sickening. This has less to do with demographics and more to do with the same old policies of both parties for years, not gender or race.

Why if there were more qualified candidates? Do you think racial quotas should take precedence over qualifications? Lastly, are you saying that the white men were appointed over better qualified black candidates for those jobs?

Again, I was more surprised by lack of women. Take the race issue out of it. Do you think the GOP leadership team which is comprised of <5% of women, reflects the constituencies the party is suppose to represent?

What's pathetic is the fact that once again another liberal is screaming divisive taunts from atop the mountain. Sickening. This has less to do with demographics and more to do with the same old policies of both parties for years, not gender or race.

Actually, the Democratic Leadership team looks a lot different ...

But more to the point, women are seriously underrepresented in politics overall, and in positions of power generally, but the Democratic Caucus power structure isn't as white male dominated nor is it committed to social issues to make sure it remains as white male dominated. If you look at the progressive Caucus, it is less white and male.

There is a difference between the parties. And the people who vote for the parties.

Actually, the Democratic Leadership team looks a lot different ...

Looks don't always mean leadership......look at the White House right now. Using your example, we shouldn't have a president of color for another 50 years since the country is still a majority of whites. I'm so tired of the divisive tone from the left. Pisses me off the older I get.

Again, I was more surprised by lack of women. Take the race issue out of it. Do you think the GOP leadership team which is comprised of <5% of women, reflects the constituencies the party is suppose to represent?

Sorry, not sure I understand the question. Help me out here. Do you think qualifications for committee leadership roles in Congress is secondary to issues of gender and race and who the party is "suppose to represent"? Lastly, must one be of specific gender or race in order to sufficiently represent their entire constituency?

This only bothers me if there were equally or more qualified women or minorities passed over in favor of white men. I don't believe in giving people positions of authority merely based on what demographic box they check off. Do we have evidence that this is the case? I'm asking the question honestly. I don't know who was appointed to what committee chairs or their qualifications compared to other congresspeople who weren't chosen.

Then again, the Speaker is orange, so that kinda counts ... ;)

Now THAT is hilarious. :)

Just looking at the lineup of Republican House members, of the top 34 in terms of seniority, only two are women. #34 is Kay Granger of TX who has been there since 1997. Only three in the top 45 and #45 (Shelley Capito of WV) had been there since 2001 but is leaving because she just won the Senate seat for WV.

While seniority isn't the only criteria to consider, it is definitely going to be a factor. Many of the Republican women and minorities are relatively new to Congress.

Just looking at the lineup of Republican House members, of the top 34 in terms of seniority, only two are women. #34 is Kay Granger of TX who has been there since 1997. Only three in the top 45 and #45 (Shelley Capito of WV) had been there since 2001 but is leaving because she just won the Senate seat for WV.

While seniority isn't the only criteria to consider, it is definitely going to be a factor. Many of the Republican women and minorities are relatively new to Congress.

i concur and that was my point earlier. Committee leadership comes from relationships that can only be built via tenure.

Now, the new House GOP membership is still 87% white men. That's down from 89% in the last Congress. Some of that is geographical...Republicans are heavily represented from rural districts which are predominantly white rather than urban areas that are more diverse. Nothing wrong with people electing folks they can relate to and vice versa (the minority districts certainly do). Hopefully that will continue to diversify. But there are also other trends I would imagine play into it. I'd bet more conservative women are stay at home mothers. That's going to factor in to how many conservative women are willing to run for office and have those kinds of demands put on their time with family. But that doesn't mean that the white man they voted for doesn't represent their views and interests. You can't just look at demographic boxes and declare that it actually means anything regarding whether other views are being heard or faithfully represented by whoever is elected.

Just out of curiosity Red, what percentage of Admin at AUFAMILY are female? African American?

- 0 African Americans

- 0 Hispanics

Really?

And let's not forget the majority in the House of Representative should reflect a majority of the American people:

http://www.politifac...rity-2012-popu/

Archived