Spotlight on Nick Marshall

StatTiger

Prior to the final bye-week, Nick Marshall was only completing 39 percent of his intermediate to deep passes. Since the bye-week, he has improved to 51 percent. The senior quarterback will have to play his best game of the season if Auburn is to upset Alabama in a couple of weeks. The key to beating Alabama is generating impact or explosive plays. Its extremely difficult to drive the football on their defense, so big plays are needed to score points. During the past 7 meetings against Nick Saban's defense, Auburn has averaged only 4 impact plays per game and 8.2 against their remaining opponents. This season Auburn averaged 328-yards rushing at home but only 189 on the road. It will be difficult to run on Alabama this season, which will place even more responsibility on the Auburn pass-offense.

The play...

UGA-Uzomah18pass_zps3e956a52.jpg

During this play the Auburn offense faces a 2nd & 15 from the UGA 41-yard line. Auburn will execute a play-action pass from a 3-WR set. C.J. Uzomah is lined up in the slot and will be the primary target. At the snap Nick Marshall play-actions with Corey Grant as Uzomah runs a dig-route underneath the safeties playing deep at the snap.

C.J. Uzomah runs up, dips outside and makes a hard cut back inside as Nick Marshall delivers the timing pass over the LB's and underneath the deep safety. Uzomah snags the high pass in front of the safety, picking up 18-yards and an Auburn first down. Because Georgia operates similar to Alabama on defense, these kind of passes will be available for the Auburn offense against the Alabama defense.

Nick Marshall will have to deliver these kind of passes against Alabama for the Auburn offense to sustain drives and to place pressure on the Alabama secondary.

Why wait?...oh, I see that you didn't ...

You gotta expect the "why didn't Jeremy play against Alabama" talk for the whole off season if Marshall doesn't have a good day, so hopefully we get a nice performance out of him.

No doubt.... I see whiny and clueless posts all the time, even during seasons Auburn went undefeated.

Guest jojo1515

You gotta expect the "why didn't Jeremy play against Alabama" talk for the whole off season if Marshall doesn't have a good day, so hopefully we get a nice performance out of him.

No doubt.... I see whiny and clueless posts all the time, even during seasons Auburn went undefeated.

Proper response there stat :)

?? Aren't you the one that start most of them?

Well, you start most of them, so might as well plant the seed now.

Bingo! Maybe he can save some $$ over time and buy a CLUE...

To beat bama.....O has to play almost error-free....been a while since we have done that.

No I'll state it usually in the third quarter when it's 100-7 and we have to throw every down to come back.

To make accusations like that, you have to know the conditions.

Don't sweat it DTR...

... if you as much as mention another QB's name around here you'll 'always' get accused of being a low life despicable know nothing piece of something or other, by someone, guaranteed (even if true :( or not :) ). That JJ has garnered so little education this season, save the NM slap on the wrist, seems to be extremely foolish as the 2nd is always one play away. It shouldn't hinder group effort, signal a lack of respect for the starter, nor be considered a watch your back moment...... to merely plug in the backup from time to time (in a normal, non-trick play, meaningful situation).

For that matter if NM hasn't got it figured out by now, it wouldn't hurt for JJ play the whole of today. One more afternoon in his career at this point, against this team, with the same cast of characters is meaningless (except for a loss) and to the backup (and next season, and as said jus-n-case) this could be a very valuable situation. Go ahead... paint me pond scum green.

Don't sweat it DTR...

... if you as much as mention another QB's name around here you'll 'always' get accused of being a low life despicable know nothing piece of something or other, by someone, guaranteed (even if true :(/> or not :)/> ). That JJ has garnered so little education this season, save the NM slap on the wrist, seems to be extremely foolish as the 2nd is always one play away. It shouldn't hinder group effort, signal a lack of respect for the starter, nor be considered a watch your back moment...... to merely plug in the backup from time to time (in a normal, non-trick play, meaningful situation).

For that matter if NM hasn't got it figured out by now, it wouldn't hurt for JJ play the whole of today. One more afternoon in his career at this point, against this team, with the same cast of characters is meaningless (except for a loss) and to the backup (and next season, and as said jus-n-case) this could be a very valuable situation. Go ahead... paint me pond scum green.

yea that's the norm around here. Everytime someone has a different opinion than most on here they "HAVE" to be a troll or clueless of anything. Myself personally I believe we have a very good running game, but have no threat as a passing offense except a few games the past couple of years. WDE

Glad to see other people see that way. Starting Marshall today is okay I guess (just compromising here), but give Jeremy the majority of this game here, we need to kick start the future. I'd go as far as to say Jeremy should get most of the time against the Iron Bowl, so he knows what type of situation he's going into next November.

I won't go that far.... but it's a shame to not have him at least game-ready, not after burning his red-shirt early last year.

(assuming Western Carolina doesn't count as SEC caliber readiness)

I'd go as far as to say Jeremy should get most of the time against the Iron Bowl, so he knows what type of situation he's going into next November.

No coach does this to their seniors unless the season is lost or the starter is struggling. In this case, the season is not lost and the starter is not struggling. If you bench Marshall in favor of playing Johnson the majority of the game, just for the sake of "next November", why not limit all the seniors? There are other seniors certainly not playing to the level of Nick Marshall at their respective positions. That would send a great message to all the future seniors. We want you to play hard to earn the starting position but if we are 8-3 late in the year, we will play other players in your place, during the biggest game of the season for the sake of next year.

To beat bama.....O has to play almost error-free....been a while since we have done that.

To beat Alabama, it will take a "team effort". It should not come down to the offense having to play error free. If that is what we are counting on, the game is already lost.

Glad to see other people see that way. Starting Marshall today is okay I guess (just compromising here), but give Jeremy the majority of this game here, we need to kick start the future. I'd go as far as to say Jeremy should get most of the time against the Iron Bowl, so he knows what type of situation he's going into next November.

again you prove how little you know about the game. That's just a completely ridiculous idea to even mention. I can't believe I even wasted the time to respond to such idiocy.

again you prove how little you know about the game. That's just a completely ridiculous idea to even mention. I can't believe I even wasted the time to respond to such idiocy.

I can't either, personally thought you would stop all the bickering

Archived