Who will Florida hire to replace Muschamp?

doc4aday

I have not heard anything with regard to this. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course you haven't heard anything. The current season isn't over yet. They aren't going to do anything until the current season is over. Anything out now are just stupid, unfounded rumors by people that don't know any more than the rest of us.

Talk around here (upstate SC area) is about Dabo. Could happen I guess. :dunno:

www.coachingsearch.com is a good source/sight to check.

Heard Stoops' name being thrown around.

But as WT pointed out, we probably won't hear anything until after the regular season is over, and possibly NFL playoffs.

Stoops shot that down pretty quick.

It will be their 5th or 6th choice IMO. Most of the top candidates have already RSVPed their regrets.

Dabo, Stoops, speculation on Mullen, I've even heard Malzahn's name mentioned--sounds like just the usual suspects whenever a vacancy in the majors occurs these days. (A co-worker even tossed in Sabin's name yesterday, but that may have been just his "Sabin boner" talking.)

I was just slightly leaning Mullen, but I'll bow to cooltigger's greater knowledge on the matter.

As for Gus:

"I've got one of the best jobs in college here at Auburn, and (I'm) totally committed to that," Malzahn said.

http://www.al.com/au..._totally_c.html

And here's a (pretty wild) thought: If they went down to the assistant coaching ranks, could they make a move to bring D. Craig back to Gainesville?

Dabo, Stoops, speculation on Mullen, I've even heard Malzahn's name mentioned--sounds like just the usual suspects whenever a vacancy in the majors occurs these days. (A co-worker even tossed in Sabin's name yesterday, but that may have been just his "Sabin boner" talking.)

I was just slightly leaning Mullen, but I'll bow to cooltigger's greater knowledge on the matter.

As for Gus:

"I've got one of the best jobs in college here at Auburn, and (I'm) totally committed to that," Malzahn said.

And here's a (pretty wild) thought: If they went down to the assistant coaching ranks, could they make a move to bring D. Craig back to Gainesville?

They aren't going to go assistant coach this time. Tried that twice already and it didn't work either time.

As for Gus:

Back? Also, no way they go the assistant route, unless they get passed up by a LOT of current head coaches. And even if that happened, they'd want a more seasoned coordinator than DC.

Chip Kelly of the Philadelphia Eagles might be a possibility. I read a report this morning that he and the GM with the Eagles are not getting along to well these days. He may want an out.

Chip Kelly of the Philadelphia Eagles might be a possibility. I read a report this morning that he and the GM with the Eagles are not getting along to well these days. He may want an out.

Well it's possible but I doubt it. Head coaches and general managers not getting along is not a rare thing. It need not lead to a split.

I think they are going to go after Mullen but if he turns them down I'm thinking they go after Mike Gundy. They are looking for an offensive minded coach. As for some of the other names being batted around, if Harbaugh leaves SF and goes back to the college game (which I doubt) he is probably going to Michigan. Shannahan would be a disaster, he is a pro coach not a college coach, and is not into kissing alumni and recruits butts. Spurrier is probably done in another year and no way is he going to take on a rebuilding project even for the Gators. He didn't get along with Foley the first time he was there and nothing has changed. Gus ain't going anywhere. Bob Stoops ain't going anywhere. Chip Kelley might go back to Oregon if he can't make it in the pros but he would be nuts to go to the SEC. He has better sense than that. Jim McElwain would be a good fit but would not be the splash hire they are looking for. Art Briles might be a possibility but again maybe not enough of a splash.

Bottom line, Mullen the primary target with Gundy as the backup. .

UF friend said today that Strong is the top candidate and $$ is no object.

Guest jojo1515

UF friend is funny. Is he a comedian? Should be. $$ is always an object and Texas has plenty

UF friend is funny. Is he a comedian? Should be. $$ is always an object and Texas has plenty

Isn't it widely thought that they'll look for an offensive minded head coach?

No, $ is not always an object. Once a person is making several millions a year other things become more important.

Archived