Samford Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #11 Statistical Evaluation (Samford Game)

Offensive Report Card:

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [7.13] pass

02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [50.0%] pass

03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [4.25] fail

04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [41.7%] pass

05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [33.3%] fail

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [8.45 yds] pass

07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [80.0%] pass

08) TD red zone above 60%: [60.0%] fail

09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [32.2 yds] pass

10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [52.2%] pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [4 TD’s / 1] pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [17.3] fail

13) At least 8 impact plays: [6] fail

14) At least 2 big plays: [2] pass

15) Pass rating of at least 125.0: [136.0] pass

* -2 points for poor OL play and poor overall execution.

Score: 8 of 15 (53.3%) Pass

* Might be a passing performance on paper but this was not a quality offensive effort considering the level of competition.

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [2.46] pass

02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [37.5%] fail

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush: [2.97] pass

04) Score below 1/3 of possessions: [7.7%] pass

05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [30.8%] fail

06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [4.31 yds] pass

07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [33.3%] pass

08) TD red zone below 60%: [33.3%] pass

09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [18.3 yds] pass

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [10.4%] pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [1 TD’s / 2 turnovers] pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [67.0] pass

13) Less than 8 impact plays: [3] pass

14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [1] pass

15) Pass rating below 125.0: [85.5] pass

Score: 13 of 15 (86.6%) Pass

* Hard to gauge this performance based on the opponent but the defense looked far more focused on defense than the offense. The DL looked much better than the OL and played with more physicality.

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [41.0] 2 of 6 inside 20 (fail)

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [4.0] pass

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [15.0] pass

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [19.7] pass

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [32.0] pass

6) PAT’s (100%): [4 of 4] pass

7) FG Pct (75% or above): [100.0%] pass

-1 point for fumbled PR.

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) pass

*Not a very inspiring effort by the offense. I can understand the lack of mental focus on the opponent but the lack of an offensive push (OL) is not excusable. Only 1 run of 15-yards from 47 attempts and that was a Quan Bray perimeter run.

War Eagle!

Stat, any ideas on the persistent slow starts by AU? The game nest week will be over after the 1st qtr if this trend continues.

Stat, any ideas on the persistent slow starts by AU? The game nest week will be over after the 1st qtr if this trend continues.

Poor execution and sloppy play for the most part. The OL was horrible tonight.

Stat....any insight as to why it seems we have slowed down the offense so much? It just seems we have abandoned the hurry up to a point.....or maybe I am just missing something?

Stat....any insight as to why it seems we have slowed down the offense so much? It just seems we have abandoned the hurry up to a point.....or maybe I am just missing something?

No AEAugirl, you're not missing anything. I also noticed the slow down in the first quarter, even made a remark about it to my wife. We, as usual, looked horrible in the first quarter and I pondered whether Gus was "experimenting" or using window dressing for next week. Glad the offense finally woke up however. Next week should be filled with thrills. At least I hope so and AU getting the majority of 'em. WDE!!!!

The offense started strong and fast against UGA then nothing else. But yes, most games have had a dreadfully slow start. Coach has scripted up to 15 plays for the first possession. Maybe we should stop scripting plays and take what the defense is giving us.

Coach Malzahn has always gone to hurry up after a first down. When we don't get first downs, we don't go to hurry up.

Worst OL performance of the year IMO....allowing Nick to get sacked twice for huge losses. ...though I guess the size of the losses was caused by Nick trying to shake off the tacklers....could have been disastrous in a real game.

The sacks were NM's fault. Can't stand back there for 5 seconds and not throw it or run. I believe the real report card grade is F (this team doesn't have leadership). I don't know who that person or person's were off last years team, but that is the player we are missing most off last years team.

And the penalties continue. I'm afraid that once a team gets a reputation for that kind of thing the refs just keep a closer eye on them .

How to quantify this lack of effort, the team just does not pass the eye test, pass or fail. Is there something wrong internally with the team/staff? It just doesn't look good.

How to quantify this lack of effort, the team just does not pass the eye test, pass or fail. Is there something wrong internally with the team/staff? It just doesn't look good.

That's the $64,000 question. I don't figure we'll ever know the answer. Gus has a lot of work to do this offseason.

That's the $64,000 question. I don't figure we'll ever know the answer. Gus has a lot of work to do this offseason.

I think it is 2-fold. O lacks a dominant line and is killing itself with penalties/turnovers. So discipline and line play on o.

D lacks a dominant line as is keeping drives alive with penalties. So discipline and line line play on d.

Need better line play and better discipline. If you compare ourselves to the dark side, their line and discipline is what has keeps them so consistent.

I think it is 2-fold. O lacks a dominant line and is killing itself with penalties/turnovers. So discipline and line play on o.

D lacks a dominant line as is keeping drives alive with penalties. So discipline and line line play on d.

Need better line play and better discipline. If you compare ourselves to the dark side, their line and discipline is what has keeps them so consistent.

That is part of it no doubt but there is something more that is holding them back I think.

Archived