My SEC/Iron Bowl Conspiracy Theory

jmcrosson

As I've watched the past few seasons unfold while considering the millions of dollars in play for major college football, it is my theory that the SEC will control the outcomes (blowouts not withstanding) when it comes to key games. Of course, I make this statement with an eye toward the Iron Bowl.

As it currently stands, should both Alabama and MSU win out, the SEC will have two of the four teams in the inaugural college football playoff. Should Alabama lose to Auburn, this sends a suspect MSU team to the SEC Championship where they would most likely face Georgia.

The nightmare scenario here would have Georgia blowing out the MSU bulldogs to a measure beyond what the refs could control, leaving the SEC (most likely) without ANY representation in the final four and costing the conference millions of dollars. Alabama, MSU, and Georgia would be passed over assuming no major upsets within the remaining top 4-6. Admittedly, Georgia could possibly eke it's way in, but it would be a major longshot considering the porous nature of their two losses.

This brings me to the Iron Bowl...in Tuscaloosa....against a team that everyone (especially the league office) wants to see in the final four, outside of Auburn and SEC haters.

Given all that's at stake, if this is a close game, I see no way the refs don't play a major role in the outcome of the game favoring the home team.

Again, just a theory couched in the recognition of millions of dollars at stake. And Auburn hasn't looked good at all the past several games, so it might be a moot point. However, if they do show up and play to their best potential, I fully expect some highly questionable calls to go against us.

I see the league doing all it can to keep two of its teams in the final four. Flame away.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they'll need to worry. the refs probably won't need to step in to effect the outcome of that game. I'm already trying to put it behind me. I'm getting real sick of trying to put these games behind me before they're even played. This is 3 of the last 4 years this has happened. Do we really have to put up with this crap forever?

I don't think they'll need to worry. the refs probably won't need to step in to effect the outcome of that game. I'm already trying to put it behind me. I'm getting real sick of trying to put these games behind me before they're even played. This is 3 of the last 4 years this has happened. Do we really have to put up with this crap forever?

cry-baby-blog.jpg

You could always switch teams and not post here anymore

jr2t04.jpg

If that was the case, we'd have gotten the ball when we fumbled it the first time against A&M.

Actually I saw uat get the bad side of some calls yesterday. I do think that several coaches like Miles and Mullen have sent major objections to the SEC about uat getting calls that were not right. If anything I think the SEC will have to do a very god job to get the calls right next week. The thing for AU to do is go in there with guns smoking and not leave it up to the refs. I just hope Gus gets his head screwed on because it has not been the last few weeks. I know he is better than that. I don't know if he is trying to be to cute or what. Beat bama !!! WDE

You could always switch teams and not post here anymore

Good idea! Please do it CJB.

Actually I saw uat get the bad side of some calls yesterday. I do think that several coaches like Miles and Mullen have sent major objections to the SEC about uat getting calls that were not right. If anything I think the SEC will have to do a very god job to get the calls right next week. The thing for AU to do is go in there with guns smoking and not leave it up to the refs. I just hope Gus gets his head screwed on because it has not been the last few weeks. I know he is better than that. I don't know if he is trying to be to cute or what. Beat bama !!! WDE

Seems more to me that he's wary of mistakes and has gone a bit too conservative. I think the guys play better when Gus just guns the gas and the team rolls. He's going to have to throw his caution to the wind and just let it rip if he wants to win next week.

Most of our problems lately have been self inflicted. We don't need to worry about the refs...just play fundamentally solid football.

Bama has had a number of close calls this year and after seeing them play several times, I think they are over-rated and generally they depend on teams making a major screw-up at a critical moment. If AU plays to the same level as in the LSU game, bama is beatable.

Most of our problems lately have been self inflicted. We don't need to worry about the refs...just play fundamentally solid football.

Bama has had a number of close calls this year and after seeing them play several times, I think they are over-rated and generally they depend on teams making a major screw-up at a critical moment. If AU plays to the same level as in the LSU game, bama is beatable.

That is a big if. They played one really good game all year. The rest have had an issue with one side of the ball or the other. Sometimes it was both. It's maddening to say the least. All the same I'll be hopeful until it proves useless to do so.

The majority of games played are lost because of poor play by the losing team. Teams that lose are the ones that turn the ball over at crucial times or a penalty. It is not a given that GA is going to the championship game. They have to hope that Mizzu loses. It will take a mistake free game on AU's part and a few breaks from bama for AU to win.

You are correct Cool....a big IF...but the team is capable....they just have to execute...and we have seen that Bama is beatable...

The right team is favored but I expect Bama was favored in all of the last dozen games against AU. It is a winnable game for AU....JMO

Before even considering any such conspiracy theory, how is the playoff money split up? Do conferences with teams in the playoff get extra money, or is the money divided across the board to all conferences?

Beyond that, if something like that were the case Auburn would never have won last year's Iron Bowl. The idea doesn't wash.

Forget it Mikey....facts and logic have no place here....this is an "opinion forum".....don't try to confuse us like that.....

Yeah, it'd be crazy to believe that stuff...

I remember that one. In the past, I think it did happen. And yes, we were the beneficiary of some calls in 2010. I think the SEC office got enough complaints from SEC schools that the practice has stopped.

The OP must be surrounded with black helicopters outside his house as we speak. rampant speculation, assumptions and totally void of any facts at all.

Archived