Ten reasons why Auburn will defeat Alabama

Dual-Threat Rigby

I have heard a lot of fans(Auburn and others) say Auburn quit against UGA or didn't show up to play etc...Watching that game I thought it started about as well as it could for AU. Scored on our first possession and I believe our much maligned D had two stops on UGA's first two drives but then we had the fumbled punt that absolutely changed the momentum of the game. Even then we were only down 10 coming out of half and we drop two wide open passes that would have been big plays and a holding call that called back a good first down run by NM. Then it went downhill fast but my point is without the muffed punt and the drops that game probably ends up a lot closer and people are not questioning Auburn's heart or motiviation nearly as much. As someone has said on a different thread, if and its a big IF, AU can stop the dumb penalties, drops and hold on to the ball then this game could go to the wire and if it does I like our chances.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why people keep posting like everyone is making Alabama to be like the '13 Seahawks or something. Everyone knows they're beatable, Auburn's just played horrendous recently and that's why the majority is predicting a blowout, not because of anything Alabama has done.

WHAT majority???

I watched the replay of the UGA game last night. The reality is we were still in that football game in 4th quarter when Marshall threw the pick in the end zone. The team didn't quit. You take a way the score on the punt fumble, where they had to trow a slant on third down at 12 or so, and the late TD off the fumble with JJ in the game and the final is 20-7. Hardly a "blow out." I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to Auburn football, but for the love of every thing Orange and Blue don't listen to the talking heads this week. Just believe in Auburn and love it.

I don't know why people keep posting like everyone is making Alabama to be like the '13 Seahawks or something. Everyone knows they're beatable, Auburn's just played horrendous recently and that's why the majority is predicting a blowout, not because of anything Alabama has done.

WHAT majority???

The majority of everyone that's not an Auburn fan and even over half of this forum. Don't act like this is just being made up.

I watched the replay of the UGA game last night. The reality is we were still in that football game in 4th quarter when Marshall threw the pick in the end zone. The team didn't quit. You take a way the score on the punt fumble, where they had to trow a slant on third down at 12 or so, and the late TD off the fumble with JJ in the game and the final is 20-7. Hardly a "blow out." I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to Auburn football, but for the love of every thing Orange and Blue don't listen to the talking heads this week. Just believe in Auburn and love it.

We need all these ifs and takeaways to make this a game? How about looking at the fact that Auburn didn't score since the first drive and couldn't connect on anything consistently since the same period of time. And let's not disregard the fact that Georgia basically didn't even try to throw for almost the entire second half.

There isn't a real reason to say it was close, when it could've been worse.

I have heard a lot of fans(Auburn and others) say Auburn quit against UGA or didn't show up to play etc...Watching that game I thought it started about as well as it could for AU. Scored on our first possession and I believe our much maligned D had two stops on UGA's first two drives but then we had the fumbled punt that absolutely changed the momentum of the game. Even then we were only down 10 coming out of half and we drop two wide open passes that would have been big plays and a holding call that called back a good first down run by NM. Then it went downhill fast but my point is without the muffed punt and the drops that game probably ends up a lot closer and people are not questioning Auburn's heart or motiviation nearly as much. As someone has said on a different thread, if and its a big IF, AU can stop the dumb penalties, drops and hold on to the ball then this game could go to the wire and if it does I like our chances.

it seemed everything that could go wrong did. We didn't respond like we have the past two years. I don't say our players quit but their heads were not right. That is the first time under Gus that has happened. I hope it don't happen again. Like he said there was some carryover from texam.

I am pretty level headed and tend to be a realist. Having said that, I agree that I don't see this UA team being what they have been. Are they good? Yes. But, I think they are very beatable.

I agree that a key will be AU starting well. I think the longer the game goes on, and it's close, the more it favors us.

No doubt in my mind that we are more than capable of beating them. We just need to play our game. I don't think we have to play "perfect" or "out of our minds" to win. I think we are better than that!

Yes, we have hurt ourselves in a couple of games this year. Yes, we lost a game we had no business losing and got it handed to us in another. But hey, even Peyton Manning has a bad game every now and then!

I don't think the team has "quit" or "mailed it in". I saw effort last week and against UGA. I fully expect to see it this Saturday.

So WDE! Let's go out, put it all on the line, leave it all on the field . . . etc. and beat the Tahd!

Sorry, but the team I saw play against UGA "quit", "mailed it in", had no heart. I hope more than anyone I am wrong, but I see this game getting ugly fast.

Back to the thread title...

Why I like Auburn to win:

1. Our beloved Tigers have been taking advantage of no classes this week to get a little extra film study and scheming in - they have 2x extra days on Bama.

2. We have nothing to lose and I imagine Gus will open things up, like Chizik did in the 2009 IB (onside kick, reverse, etc).

3. The only team that beat AU this year, was AU. Play with significantly less mistakes and we can win this game.

Why Bama:

1. Saban is hard to beat 2x years in a row. This Bama team is out for revenge.

2. Amari Cooper is a baller and Blake Sims, Yeldon, and Henry are not bad either.

3. Bama's D is extremely talented and play disciplined football.

Intangibles:

1. No one is predicting AU to win. We usually play our best as underdogs.

2. If AU comes out playing angry, they can punch Bama in the nose and put pressure on Sims to win through the air. If I were on the team, my locker would be full of all of the articles from pundits on why AU can't win and I would throw in some of the comments from this board. Can't does not exist in the competitive man's vocabulary.

In our three losses this year, we made crucial errors at crucial times. We could not overcome them against MSU, we almost overcame them against aTm (2x), and they decimated us against UGA. I have no doubt that this AU team will be ready, but can they play without crucial errors? This game is not David vs. Goliath. AU does not have to play their best game to beat Bama, they just have to play like they did against LSU. Here's to all, hoping you have a great Thanksgiving and a happy Saturday. Win or lose, I believe in Auburn and love it. WDE!

PS: Anyone know who the honorary coach is who will be giving the pre-game speech this Sat? I hope it is someone with an amazing story who can light a fire under this team to play lights out!

I agree with that ^^ but I just don't like when people say

"3. The only team that beat AU this year, was AU"

Using that logic we'd have 2 more losses already and would've lost a handful of games last year. Auburn has had some boneheaded penalties, but atrocious tackling and untimely turnovers are things the other team takes advantage of. We need to cut down penalties and we're on the right road to winning this game. Maybe that will help with the other two problems (less time given to the opposing team = less chances to make bad tackles and give the ball away)

2. We have nothing to lose and I imagine Gus will open things up, like Chizik did in the 2009 IB (onside kick, reverse, etc).

I'd like to see Gus pull out all the stops. I think it's the only way to win this game, but I believe his instinct is to go more conservative when things get tight.

Gus hasn't forgotten to be creative, the bottom line is our QB limits the offense especially when we have to throw. Our offense is creative but when teams make it a point to shut down the edge, the o-line isnt dominating for runs in the middle, or the QB cant avoid consistently not throwing the ball high, especially on mid range throws...well we are pigeonholed into throwing bubble screens or bombs and the zone read threat to the outside is non existent. What can you do other than pull the QB and Gus certainly isn't going to do that this late in the year when he has a senior QB that took him to the national championship game last year.

We wont win and Gus forgot how to be creative. We down d line players,we cant cover Cooper. We get blown out in 1st qtr 21-0.Cut it to 28-14 at half. 35-21 after 3. Implode in 4th lose 56-21..I see Cooper with 6 quick strike td scores.

Lol. Gus forgot to be creative.....boy I tell ya the knowledge some of you guys have is amazing at times

We wont win and Gus forgot how to be creative. We down d line players,we cant cover Cooper. We get blown out in 1st qtr 21-0.Cut it to 28-14 at half. 35-21 after 3. Implode in 4th lose 56-21..I see Cooper with 6 quick strike td scores.

I could see something similar I would take the under on 6 TDS by Cooper but would put the over under at 4.5. I don't think we score more than 14.

Hmmm . . . well, if some of you guys are as good at prognostication as you are at pessimism, I think I may take a very long drive on Saturday night, listening to Christmas carols and pretending "football" is just a figment of the imagination!

Lol. Gus forgot to be creative.....boy I tell ya the knowledge some of you guys have is amazing at times

I mean judging from the plays we've seen so far I wouldn't deny it

I'd like to see Gus pull out all the stops. I think it's the only way to win this game, but I believe his instinct is to go more conservative when things get tight.

My heart wants to believe you are wrong, but sadly my head says you are dead on.

Gus hasn't forgotten to be creative, the bottom line is our QB limits the offense especially when we have to throw. Our offense is creative but when teams make it a point to shut down the edge, the o-line isnt dominating for runs in the middle, or the QB cant avoid consistently not throwing the ball high, especially on mid range throws...well we are pigeonholed into throwing bubble screens or bombs and the zone read threat to the outside is non existent. What can you do other than pull the QB and Gus certainly isn't going to do that this late in the year when he has a senior QB that took him to the national championship game last year.

You nailed it Tiger. He hasn't forgotten but it may a question of blood flow. CGM is a very good coach and motivator he just doesn't seem to have the nerve to make the moves that need to be made to give us the best chance to pull off the upset. So I guess we lose with dignity.

Alright guys 1st post here, but here's my thoughts on it. It goes down to team leadership. Believe whatever ya want but we have the best coach in the nation and it's not even close. But thats not what this game is about. Its the leaders on the team. If they stepped up this week in practice and do so in the game then I think we win. Can anybody give us any insight on that? Remember when A.Coleman posted the poster of bama qb in his dorm for moto? Stuff like that means a ton. Gus can get us outta a hole but we HAVE to have somebody step up and take it personal. That's the key to victory. Haven't seen it in the past few games but I pray it shows up Saturday.

Archived