Vandy HC Derek Mason

PatBoCamRob

I have a couple of real good friends that are Vandy grads. One also holds a degree from Auburn. They both think Derek Mason is in over his head and his team's performance seems to bear that out.

I have a couple of real good friends that are Vandy grads. One also holds a degree from Auburn. They both think Derek Mason is in over his head and his team's performance seems to bear that out.

Came from Stanford and would have seemed to be a good fit for a school like Vandy...but does not seem to have the "presence" that one would expect from an SEC coach...much less a Vandy coach.

In over his head?.....possibly...kinda like WilM perhaps..lots of difference being the HC and no matter how many years a guy is a coordinator, being the HC is an entirely different deal. Maybe another year will help out....and Franklin did screw over the Vandy recruiting class last year trying to drag them off to Penn State with him.

....video.link....

Posture, attire, and diction... I would have confused him for a player. He needs to look more the part.

Looked fine to me...

... what you want him to wear? He had on the standard Nike Vandy apparel for a day that was mostly in the forties. Which is exactly what most other HC's wear for a video conference. And considering the press wanted to drill him over rivalry week, I though he articulate himself well and without the usual coach speech. He expressed he knew what was going on. That he'd seen rivalry up close and personal before in California and this wasn't an unknown situation. And that he wasn't going to buy into anything but getting his team ready. What's he supposed to do jump up and down or get all excited. If you listened he basically said what he wanted. He stated, guy's I don't get lost in the emotion (not my job), and that you can be believe me the team know's exactly how I feel. That they certainly felt the wrath and got his message, loud and clear. Which is exactly the man he is and who they certainly saw in the job interview.

You ever watched this guy:

(Jimbo Fisher)

Talk posture, talk diction, talk attire..... man can't even buckle his belt, doesn't care about eye contact, and nose wiping on the back of you hand ?

DM seems to compare much the same as this guy (who's in a similar situation):

(Will Muschamp)

He's a head coach, not a CEO or athletic director. He's not an investment banker. Wonder how Coaches Jordan and Dye would have looked or come across in today's instant on demand video age. They can't all fly off the cuff like a Steve Spurrier and the best aren't hired for their menswear or haberdashery skills.

Belichik is a slob.

HC is a CEO position. I hope no one needs explaining that. But, HC is above Xes and Os. He delegates and communicates. Some of the good ones are still coordinators. CGM is essentially our OC. He does that in addition to what his job description requires: Hire the right lieutenants, hold them accountable, and interact with key individuals outside the program.

Communicating with the public via the media is a big part of the HC position.

Mason could have worn a collar. Even a mock turtleneck will do the job these days.

He shouldn't have worn a hat indoors, especially if he was going to look down like he did. It made him look guarded and frightened of the press conference. With his arms in his lap, his whole body was slouched.

His throat was tight. He needs communications training.

If his wardrobe was selected by Nike, they weren't helping him.

Belichik is a slob.

HC is a CEO position. I hope no one needs explaining that. But, HC is above Xes and Os. He delegates and communicates. Some of the good ones are still coordinators. CGM is essentially our OC. He does that in addition to what his job description requires: Hire the right lieutenants, hold them accountable, and interact with key individuals outside the program.

Communicating with the public via the media is a big part of the HC position.

Mason could have worn a collar. Even a mock turtleneck will do the job these days.

He shouldn't have worn a hat indoors, especially if he was going to look down like he did. It made him look guarded and frightened of the press conference. With his arms in his lap, his whole body was slouched.

His throat was tight. He needs communications training.

If his wardrobe was selected by Nike, they weren't helping him.

A successful coach can get away with all those faux pas. A struggling coach just makes it easier to pile on.

"Crash Davis: Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob."

Archived