How Ignorant are American Voters?

DKW 86

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/americans-know-surprisingly-little-about-their-government-survey-finds/

Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds

The survey of 1,416 adults, released for Constitution Day (Sept. 17) in conjunction with the launch of the Civics Renewal Network, found that:

• While little more than a third of respondents (36 percent) could name all three branches of the U.S. government, just as many (35 percent) could not name a single one.

• Just over a quarter of Americans (27 percent) know it takes a two-thirds vote of the House and Senate to override a presidential veto.

• One in five Americans (21 percent) incorrectly thinks that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision is sent back to Congress for reconsideration.

Most Americans do not know which parties control the House and Senate

The study also found that more than half of Americans do not know which party controls the House and Senate:

• Asked which party has the most members in the House of Representatives, 38 percent said they knew the Republicans are the majority, but 17 percent responded the Democrats, and 44 percent reported that they did not know (up from 27 percent who said they did not know in 2011).

• Asked which party controls the Senate, 38 percent correctly said the Democrats, 20 percent said the Republicans, and 42 percent said they did not know (also up from 27 percent who said they did not know in 2011).

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/capitolreport/2014/10/02/insular-americans-more-know-about-isis-than-the-unemployment-rate/

Some 67% can identify Syria as one of the countries in which the militant group known as ISIS currently controls territory.
But only a third knew the unemployment rate was about 6%. Even fewer, 24%, knew
Janet Yellen
was the chairwoman of the
Federal Reserve
. By contrast, 38% knew
Benjamin Netanyahu
was the prime minister of Israel.
A dismal 20% knew that Social Security was the activity the U.S. government spent the most on, which is the same percentage that knew how much of the U.S. population lives at or below the poverty line.
The one thing most Americans did know? The federal minimum wage. Nearly three-quarters correctly answered that the minimum is $7.25 an hour

59% Got half or less right of the quiz...Folks, we have failed to educate the Average American on even the simplest ideas.

We have LOW-NO Information Voters from sea-to-shining-sea.

Sadly I'm not surprised. With the state of education I'm surprised it's that good.

Guess who has largely been driving the education agenda? All of this is by design. As I've have stated and, I honestly believe, the left would rather have permanent control of an impoverished 3rd world nation than honestly compete in the arena of ideas and settle for temporary control of an ascendant super power. The left wants an electorate that is dependent and easily manipulated thus they ruin the education system, don't teach basic civics and now are importing more who, the vast majority of which, are illiterate in their native language, and are coming here with the specific intent of being dependent on the government. Everything lib/progs stand for and do makes their motivations painfully obvious to anyone who is not blinded by the emotional misdirection they employ to mesmerize the useful idiots who believe their schtick.

Sadly I'm not surprised. With the state of education I'm surprised it's that good.

Guess who has largely been driving the education agenda? All of this is by design. As I've have stated and, I honestly believe, the left would rather have permanent control of an impoverished 3rd world nation than honestly compete in the arena of ideas and settle for temporary control of an ascendant super power. The left wants an electorate that is dependent and easily manipulated thus they ruin the education system, don't teach basic civics and now are importing more who, the vast majority of which, are illiterate in their native language, and are coming here with the specific intent of being dependent on the government. Everything lib/progs stand for and do makes their motivations painfully obvious to anyone who is not blinded by the emotional misdirection they employ to mesmerize the useful idiots who believe their schtick.

Lovely opinion expressed as absolute fact (rhetoric). However, in the interest of truth, why don't we look at some real information. I'm NOT saying we shouldn't just take Blue's word for it but, just for fun, let's dig a little deeper.

First: http://www.alec.org/publications/report-card-on-american-education/ How about somewhat subjective rankings of states educational systems based on a broad range of criteria

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Now, how about a more objective (still imperfect due to participation rates) rankings based on SAT/ACT scores.

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Finally, how about rankings based on per pupil spending: http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/public-education-costs-per-pupil-by-state-rankings/

Note: On average, federal funds account for approximately 10% of K-12 spending.

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

Now, is Blue correct? Is the failure of our educational system due directly to liberal policies and ideology?

Is this all we need to know? "Everything lib/progs stand for and do makes their motivations painfully obvious to anyone who is not blinded by the emotional misdirection they employ to mesmerize the useful idiots who believe their schtick."

Now, how about a more objective (still imperfect due to participation rates) rankings based on SAT/ACT scores.

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Finally, how about rankings based on per pupil spending: http://education.cu-...state-rankings/

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Not picking a fight here but, since you brought it up:

We have the 2nd Highest Per Pupil Expenditure Ranking Dead Last in Results. Washington DC.

Got a take on that?

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Finally, how about rankings based on per pupil spending: http://education.cu-...state-rankings/

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

We have the 2nd Highest Per Pupil Expenditure Ranking Dead Last in Results. Washington DC.

Got a take on that?

I read yesterday that 70% of the student population in NYC could not read at grade level or understand basic math concepts ..how is being ranked #1 on per pupil spending working out for them?

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

D.C. is a city/state that is an anomaly?

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

Well it has been an anomaly for 20 years then.

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

Well it has been an anomaly for 20 years then.

It has been a city/state much longer than that. You do see the point don't you? They are missing a level of bureaucracy.

I'm fascinated by the apparent logic (at least as it looks to me):

One anomaly, D.C., renders the preponderance of the evidence and ichy's hypothesis/implication invalid?

One city (albeit the largest) renders the statistics for the entire state of NY invalid?

...But Dems/libs are universally stupid/evil/unAmerican, with no exceptions. No chance of counter examples there?

Personally, I'd like to see a lot more money put into education (along with a lot more accountability for getting our money's worth out of that investment). Education (by which I mean successful education, with accountability and results, and free of political bias, liberal or conservative) is the one investment for the future that always returns dividends.

The most important thing we can give students is the tools that enable them to teach themselves, to be learners for the rest of their lives, and make their own decisions. That means not only the basics (the traditional "3 R's of'reading, writing, and 'rithmetic"), but also responsibility and the consequences of actions, critical thinking, the ability to locate and evaluate facts, and objectivity/freedom from bias. Neither liberals nor conservatives have a monopoly on those skills. [Actually, it often seems to me that those most vocal on political issues are the most lacking in the skills of critical thinking, fact gathering & evaluation, and objectivity!]

Lovely opinion expressed as absolute fact (rhetoric). However, in the interest of truth, why don't we look at some real information. I'm NOT saying we shouldn't just take Blue's word for it but, just for fun, let's dig a little deeper.

First: http://www.alec.org/...an-education/ How about somewhat subjective rankings of states educational systems based on a broad range of criteria

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

Now, is Blue correct? Is the failure of our educational system due directly to liberal policies and ideology?

Is this all we need to know? "Everything lib/progs stand for and do makes their motivations painfully obvious to anyone who is not blinded by the emotional misdirection they employ to mesmerize the useful idiots who believe their schtick."

First: http://www.alec.org/...an-education/ How about somewhat subjective rankings of states educational systems based on a broad range of criteria

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

I gotta tell you, it tickles the s*** out of me seeing how much my opinions bother you. This is a politics forum that is driven largely opinion. If you read my posts as absolute fact that's on you but , not surprisingly you've never posted anything with enough substance to challenge those beliefs. All those stats mean nothing unless of course competition between the states proves something to you.

Here's a couple of facts for you. Education is dominated by teachers unions that are powerful leaning organizations. Teachers tenure has made teachers virtually untouchable and perpetuated a lack of accountability. It has also given them FAR too much control over the curricla...its just a fact and one you either are clueless about or simply refuse to acknowledge.

The important comparison is NOT how new Mexico does against illinois. Its how America kids are doing against the those around the globe and, sadly, there are kids from countries that are sill digging out canoes(its a joke but the point is solid)that are running circles around American kids in math and science. If you're satisfied by making every single topic an issue of economics, LIKE ALL DEMOCRATS DO, you're missing the obvious fact that our system is getting its ass kicked around the world.

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

I gotta tell you, it tickles the s*** out of me seeing how much my opinions bother you. This is a politics forum that is driven largely opinion. If you read my posts as absolute fact that's on you but , not surprisingly you've never posted anything with enough substance to challenge those beliefs. All those stats mean nothing unless of course competition between the states proves something to you.

Here's a couple of facts for you. Education is dominated by teachers unions that are powerful leaning organizations. Teachers tenure has made teachers virtually untouchable and perpetuated a lack of accountability. It has also given them FAR too much control over the curricla...its just a fact and one you either are clueless about or simply refuse to acknowledge.

The important comparison is NOT how new Mexico does against illinois. Its how America kids are doing against the those around the globe and, sadly, there are kids from countries that are sill digging out canoes(its a joke but the point is solid)that are running circles around American kids in math and science. If you're satisfied by making every single topic an issue of economics, LIKE ALL DEMOCRATS DO, you're missing the obvious fact that our system is getting its ass kicked around the world.

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

The important comparison is NOT how new Mexico does against illinois. Its how America kids are doing against kidds around the globe and, sadly, there are kids from countries that are sill digging out canoes(its a joke but the point is solid)that are running circles around American kids in math and science. If you're satisfied by making every single topic an issue of economics, LIKE ALL DEMOCRATS DO, you're missing the obvious fact that our system is getting its ass kicked around the world. i know, I know..youre not a democrat or a liberal :-\

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

I read yesterday that 70% of the student population in NYC could not read at grade level or understand basic math concepts ..how is being ranked #1 on per pupil spending working out for them?

Think cost of living factors into that a bit. ?

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

Top 10

1. Massachusetts
  2. New Jersey
  3. Vermont
  4. Indiana
  5. Colorado
  6. Hawaii
  7. Pennsylvania
  8. Washington
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Florida

Bottom 10

51. South Carolina

50. West Virginia

49.South Dakota

48. Louisiana

47. Arizona

46. Missouri

45. Arkansas

44. Alabama

43. Mississippi

42. Kentucky

41. Oklahoma

Top 10

1. Minnesota

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Kansas

5. Nebraska

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. South Dakota

9. Massachusetts

10. New Hampshire

Bottom 10

41. Alaska

42. Mississippi

43. Nevada

44. West Virginia

45. Hawaii

46. Arizona

47. Texas

48. Georgia

49. South Carolina

50. Florida

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

3. Alaska

4. New Jersey

5. Connecticut

6. Vermont

7. Wyoming

8. Massachusetts

9. Rhode Island

10. Maryland

Bottom 10

1. Utah

2. Oklahoma

3. Arizona

4. Idaho

5. Mississippi

6. Nevada

7. North Carolina

8. Texas

9. Tennessee

10. Florida

The important comparison is NOT how new Mexico does against illinois. Its how America kids are doing against kidds around the globe and, sadly, there are kids from countries that are sill digging out canoes(its a joke but the point is solid)that are running circles around American kids in math and science. If you're satisfied by making every single topic an issue of economics, LIKE ALL DEMOCRATS DO, you're missing the obvious fact that our system is getting its ass kicked around the world. i know, I know..youre not a democrat or a liberal :-\

When I see you edited garbage like this, it makes me laugh.

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

Tex, cost of living isnt factored into any of it. Even it was, how can the still second highest expenditure be THE LOWEST Producer?

I understand your point, but the point is that cost of living is not accounted for. $8K in Alabama may be worth $22K in DC.

I was simply asking one point. IF, IF we place the focus on the per Pupil Expenditures, then Should we not demand MORE results in DC?

The problem in DC has been there since 1994-95 when Gingrich was Speaker. Its been that way 20 Years and it still gets no better.

I do not see this as a wholly money problem.

figure-cmd-1.gif

US Expenditures are at the Top of the World Wide Mix.

screen%20shot%202013-12-03%20at%205.29.16%20am.png

We have a dumb electorate because we are losing the education battle and in a bad way.

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

Tex, cost of living isnt factored into any of it. Even it was, how can the still second highest expenditure be THE LOWEST Producer?

I understand your point, but the point is that cost of living is not accounted for. $8K in Alabama may be worth $22K in DC.

I was simply asking one point. IF, IF we place the focus on the per Pupil Expenditures, then Should we not demand MORE results in DC?

The problem in DC has been there since 1994-95 when Gingrich was Speaker. Its been that way 20 Years and it still gets no better.

figure-cmd-1.gif

We have a dumb electorate because we are losing the education battle and in a bad way.

It is difficult to know exactly what this sentence means but, if it means what I think it means, it is factually incorrect. New York is not at the bottom of either measures. I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that this is a problem you can just throw money at and, watch it go away. However, Tex's point about cost of living is relevant. There is data available for New York that pulls NYC out and, it changes the numbers dramatically. Also, look at the states that spend the least and their results. Money is not an absolute but, I believe it is an indicator of the level of commitment to education. You seem to be less interested in what the numbers say and, more interested in how the numbers can say what you want them to say. Objectivity? Bias?

Attaboy Blue. ICHY challenges your post with facts and you ridicule him for taking it seriously in the first place. :rolleyes:

(If it makes you feel better, I have never assumed there is any sort of factual basis for the rhetoric you spew.)

Bottom 10

51. District of Columbia

Top 10

1. New York

2. District of Columbia

Got a take on that?

figure-cmd-1.gif

It is difficult to know exactly what this sentence means but, if it means what I think it means, it is factually incorrect. New York is not at the bottom of either measures. I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that this is a problem you can just throw money at and, watch it go away. However, Tex's point about cost of living is relevant. There is data available for New York that pulls NYC out and, it changes the numbers dramatically. Also, look at the states that spend the least and their results. Money is not an absolute but, I believe it is an indicator of the level of commitment to education. You seem to be less interested in what the numbers say and, more interested in how the numbers can say what you want them to say. Objectivity? Bias?

Actually I agree that IN GENERAL, More money makes for better schools. However, As in the case with DC, we find CLEAR evidence that blindly throwing more money at a problem does not work. And that is the sum of my thoughts on it. Anyone found a COL comparison for the costs per pupil? How does $8K./pupil in AL, MS, AR, TN compare to CA, NY, DC?

I actually think we agree on this. Money does not necessarily mean better education, IE DC. But if you look at the National Average Per Pupil Expenditure, and realize that that graph is corrected to a base, then look at the measurable results, it becomes clear that something is wrong with the US Educational System. In the graph of results, even though we spend as much or more than anyone, we are ranked 35th, 24th, and 27th DESPITE a huge advantage in Money Spent when compared to other nations. I have two brand new teachers in my family. I do not like the trends here.

For some, every problem in America should be broken down into a quantitative economic analysis. In their world, EVERY problem can be solved by spending more money. That is why raising taxes is always such a desirable option for the left. Analyzing US education results by comparing state expenditures is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, especially, when you realize Viet Nam is kicking our ass in math and science. Wonder if they spend any time arguing about expenditures per student?

Archived