Beating Saban's Alabama teams

StatTiger

From 2008-2014, Alabama has only been defeated 10 times and of those 10 losses, 6 were by 6-points or less.

The winner averaged 222-yards passing, completing 68% of their passes for an average of 8.5 yards per attempt. They also threw for a combined total of 24 TD passes and only 4 interceptions against the Tide defense.

On defense the winner held Alabama to an average of 110.7 yards rushing for 3.3 yards per rush.

During this same time period (2008-2014) Auburn is 19-1, when the complete at least 60% of their passes for at least 8-yards per attempt, while holding their opponent to under 150-yards rushing. Auburn is 7-2 vs. Alabama since 1981, when they complete at least 60% of their passes.

Nick Marshall needs to play well and the Auburn front-7 needs to play well against the run. Since the bye-week, Nick Marshall is completing 65% of his passes for 9.1 yards per attempt and he did complete 69% of his passes against bammer last year.

Stat do you think we will see JJ for a couple of series? Not because NM is struggling but just a change of pace or maybe for specific plays? I feel like we are going to have to be successful throwing down field but also some underneath stuff to loosen up that D.

Stat do you think we will see JJ for a couple of series? Not because NM is struggling but just a change of pace or maybe for specific plays? I feel like we are going to have to be successful throwing down field but also some underneath stuff to loosen up that D.

This is what I thought might happen because Malzahn is gonna have to literally throw the kitchen sink at Alabama

This is what I thought might happen because Malzahn is gonna have to literally throw the kitchen sink at Alabama

Absolutely. Has to throw in the middle of the field both long and intermediate. He has to keep Collins honest and not flying up to line of scrimmage.

My gut feeling is that we don't see Johnson unless the base offensive game plan is struggling.

Great stats, Stat! I'm looking for AU to come out with guns a'blazing. I'm ready to see NM and CAP run the read option and NM hook up with DW and the gang! It won't be easy, but I think AU has the team to do it. WDE!

I'll be completely shocked if we see JJ under center against Alabama. He might come in for a set play but sub-ing him for a series here and there has delivered abysmal results. NM is our QB and if he struggles we wont win the game but, me personally, I'll be shocked if Marshall gets the hook.

We will need more than the base gameplan to win. Some trick play, like the one against LSU or the one against USCe with wallace throwing it, should be used. I dont see nick missing a series though unless we score on a play like the ones above or the play following a successful trick.

I hope Malzahn opens up the playbook and goes for broke this week. The offense has came out struggling for several games now, and a slow start here will have this one over by the first quarter. I loved watching the offense demolish teams last year running the same plays over and over, but the O-Line this year can't make that happen. Gus is as good a play-caller as there is, I just hope he's willing to think outside the box to give this offense(and team) an early confidence boost.

We will need more than the base gameplan to win. Some trick play, like the one against LSU or the one against USCe with wallace throwing it, should be used. I dont see nick missing a series though unless we score on a play like the ones above or the play following a successful trick.

I believe you are inferring that "base" in this context means "basic". The base game plan this Saturday might be more passing on first-down or more passes to the RB's and etc. When I utilized the word, "base", I meant it as the "foundation" of whatever the game plan might be against Alabama.

I would love to see a big passing play for a TD or at least deep in their territory as our first offensive play. Maybe play-action deep post to Sammie since Bama will probably first try to defend the run and try to double cover Duke. That would give us great momentum and shut The bammers up. A girl can dream right?? It would be awesome if we throw a slant about 15 yards and the receiver just runs it down the field too...

I would love to see a big passing play for a TD or at least deep in their territory as our first offensive play. Maybe play-action deep post to Sammie since Bama will probably first try to defend the run and try to double cover Duke. That would give us great momentum and shut The bammers up. A girl can dream right?? It would be awesome if we throw a slant about 15 yards and the receiver just runs it down the field too...

Well our best catching receivers dont have that speed to take it all the way and our best speed receiver(s) can't catch consistently to save his (their) life. And C.J just doesn't get the ball when it matters. Not sure if Fulse can run but he can catch and is pretty much in the same boat as C.J.

Well our best catching receivers dont have that speed to take it all the way and our best speed receiver(s) can't catch consistently to save his (their) life. And C.J just doesn't get the ball when it matters. Not sure if Fulse can run but he can catch and is pretty much in the same boat as C.J.

Yup... Like I said, a girl can dream right???

If we need to pass and NM is not getting it done, I hope CGM is not so stubborn to not give JJ a chance. I know NM is our QB and I don't have a problem when he is on, but when he is consistently throwing it high (like UGA game), it is time to give JJ a chance.

Pat Dye said exactly what it takes to beat bama, and it applies to a Saban coached bama team as well...60 minutes. Showing up for one quarter won't do it. Playing a good first half won't do it. It takes 60 minutes. Because that's what bama will be playing. And they'll be good for those 60 minutes. They may not be great but they'll be god.

I'mreally hoping Gus calls a spurrier type game. Just let it fly, nothing to lose. Throw some trick plays, go for it on fourth down, get saban frustrated and have them on their heels the entire game. If defense puts pressure on Sims and he has shown he can struggle then it could be a close game and we can win. No doubt. War eagle

If we need to pass and NM is not getting it done, I hope CGM is not so stubborn to not give JJ a chance. I know NM is our QB and I don't have a problem when he is on, but when he is consistently throwing it high (like UGA game), it is time to give JJ a chance.

I wonder if NM is throwing it high to compensate for all of the tipped passes he had in earlier games? He had so many tipped passes a few games ago that I bet Gus has tried to adjust his throwing motion to bring the ball up higher and as we saw in the UGA game, he's still doesn't have his range corrected..... Just a thought.

I don't think Marshall will ever figure out when to take it off or when to pour it own and how much to do so. I think that's the main knock against him, because if he could just figure out that out, he'd definitely have a future as QB.

Interesting addendum to those numbers is Saban's teams pronounced struggles against option QBs, going all the way back to his LSU days. Show of hands, how many knew His Worship Nick Saban doesn't have a winning record against Auburn?

Archived