Note on first down plays

StatTiger

Here is the breakdown of first down plays AFTER the 1st first down is gained during an offensive possession. The totals don't include the first play of the possession.

Run: 179

Pass: 42

80.09% run after the 1st first down is gained.

Auburn averages 6.12 yards per run and 8.12 yards per pass.

34.6% of the run plays netted 2-yards or less and 52.3% of the pass-plays netted 2-yards or less.

9.5% of the runs resulted in a loss and 9.5% of the passes resulted in a loss.

44.1% of the runs netted 5-yards or more and 45.2% of the pass attempts netted 5-yards or more.

Guest jojo1515

Looks like running works as I would guess the other teams looking for the run all the time makes the pass a little easier, yet running is almost as productive as the pass and exactly as likely to lose yards

It is a tough call for the coaches. The goal is to churn out first downs and wear the other team down and you don't want to have a bunch of 2nd and 10s after incompletions. The problem is that we are so predictable that we have a bunch of 2nd and 9s or 2nd and 8s because we only gain a few yards running the ball, and the O line just can't get the desired push. I also think NM has struggled with the ZR this year - when to keep it, etc. or maybe other team are just not going to let him keep it now.

Not sure how to read those stats....so over half of the time we are facing 2nd and long. My only problem with the play calling is the run the ball up the middle after a first down trying to go fast when we have set a pattern of what we are going to run when we go fast. Gus needs to change the play up and run something else.

It seems we run over tackle on 1st down just about every time. Maybe we are getting so predictable other teams are filling up the box on us.

Then now is the time to be unpredictable and catch bama sleeping!

It seems we run over tackle on 1st down just about every time. Maybe we are getting so predictable other teams are filling up the box on us.

It might seem that way but it's actually about 40%.

I think we're all in agreement about changing our predictability. Please Gus. Turn 'em loose.

Gus wants to get it going up-the-middle because his offense depends on it. Successive successful runs up the middle are supposed to cause the opposing D to adjust. These adjustments will soften the D in other areas, opening up end runs or passes. That's when the afterburners come on and AU goes Auburnfast.

Unfortunately, if the opposing D is good enough to stop the up-the-middle runs without making adjustments...

Well, we've all seen what happens then...

Archived