This Black Man Gets It

Weegle777

I posted that a couple days ago and, predictably, not a single leftie in this forum commented. Not sure what their silence says but, clearly, more and more black people are calling publicly for, the not so novel ideas of, personal responsibility. Just not Al Charlatan or Jesse hiJackson.

It's easier to play the victim and blame everybody else than to just take responsibility for yourself. As I have said before, and this black man agrees with me, EVERYBODY has a choice no matter what situation you were born into. Either play the victim, or dig yourself out.

what exactly do you want them to say. the guy spoke his mind. most agree, but in his community he will not be popular. not sure i agree with blue. there are not many black people in the grand scheme of it all that publicly(that i have noticed) share his view. most of my black coworkers and friends stay away from the subject. they will condemn the violence but defend the reason for it. I still dont get how folks can overlook so many facts.

...they will condemn the violence but defend the reason for it....

Reminds me of this:

...But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.

It's easier to play the victim and blame everybody else than to just take responsibility for yourself. As I have said before, and this black man agrees with me, EVERYBODY has a choice no matter what situation you were born into. Either play the victim, or dig yourself out.

This again. Telling folks that can't afford boots to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

This again. Telling folks that can't afford boots to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Figure of speech but the end result is still true. If a person of any color wants to get ahead they have to want it first. The system has trained a lot of people that a check once a month and an EBT card is the way to go. Reform is needed across the board.

Yes, this again, because just like the man said in the video, it is the truth. I didn't say it, the black man in the video did.

They who?

"they" is a pronoun that refers to multiple people or things. Reading the previous statement usually indicates who the pronoun is referring to.

Yes, this again, because just like the man said in the video, it is the truth. I didn't say it, the black man in the video did.

Who made you and Mr. Patrick the sole arbiters of the truth?

Does Mr Patrick being black make him an authority on such things?

Well then do a study to prove that people who grow up in less than favorable situations have zero chance of "making it out". If you are such an authority.

Well then do a study to prove that people who grow up in less than favorable situations have zero chance of "making it out". If you are such an authority.

I believe that study has been going on for quite some time and, no one ever said there was zero chance. The question is equal opportunity.

what exactly do you want them to say. the guy spoke his mind. most agree, but in his community he will not be popular. not sure i agree with blue. there are not many black people in the grand scheme of it all that publicly(that i have noticed) share his view. most of my black coworkers and friends stay away from the subject. they will condemn the violence but defend the reason for it. I still dont get how folks can overlook so many facts.

No, you're right about that, there aren't that many. Im simply saying there are some that are coming around to the idea that always playing the victim card is a trap and not a pathway out.

I believe that study has been going on for quite some time and, no one ever said there was zero chance. The question is equal opportunity.

There are more opportunities for minorities now than any time in history. That is my point and the man's point in the video.

There are more opportunities for minorities now than any time in history. That is my point and the man's point in the video.

The facts about more opportunities for blacks dont play well with the crowd that espouses the soft racism of low expectations.

I would never make such an off the wall claim claim as that, but that the deck is stacked against some people is fact. Surely you're not so privilege blind as to deny that.

Does equal opportunity exist?

NO, actually, affirmative action provides african americans preferential opportunities and often times at the expense of better qualified white people. Why do you suppose some of the nations most prestigious universities are challenging affirmative action in the courts?

I would never make such an off the wall claim claim as that, but that the deck is stacked against some people is fact. Surely you're not so privilege blind as to deny that.

The deck is stacked against all of us if you don't put forth effort to take advantage of the tons of opportunities that are out there. The deck was stacked against Dr. Ben Carson who grew up in horrible circumstances, and what did he do? He pulled himself up by the bootstraps that you say don't exist for people who grew up in less than favorable situations.

Is that a serious question?

The deck is stacked against all of us if you don't put forth effort to take advantage of the tons of opportunities that are out there. The deck was stacked against Dr. Ben Carson who grew up in horrible circumstances, and what did he do? He pulled himself up by the bootstraps that you say don't exist for people who grew up in less than favorable situations.

Not all actions are predictable or have predictable consequences, Weegs. Not everyone can be as fortunate as Dr. Carson to make it out of downtown Detroit, or to have a mother that worked as hard as his to give her sons a better future.

Not all actions are predictable or have predictable consequences, Weegs. Not everyone can be as fortunate as Dr. Carson to make it out of downtown Detroit, or to have a mother that worked as hard as his to give her sons a better future.

But, that doesn't negate the fact that every person has an opportunity and a choice if they will only take the initiative.

I could not agree with you more...and not surprisingly, that is as true for white people as it is for people of color. The thing is, trying to legislate equalityy will ALWAYS fail because people's talents, circumstances, ambitions are not and never will be equal.

Archived