Sammie Coates will declare for NFL Draft.

auburn4ever

B47fI8FCYAAGQql.jpg

Auburn WR Sammie Coates will declare for the NFL Draft, per @JHokanson. Mel Kiper Jr. feels Coates is likely a 2nd-round pick.

@JamesCrepea

Sammie Coates plans to accept an invite to the Senior Bowl, early graduation makes him eligible

@JHokanson

Sammie Coates is at the podium: "I decided to come out this year and enter the NFL Draft." It's official.

Sammie Coates: "I think it's time for me to take the next step in my life. … This is the biggest decision I've ever had to make in my life."

Coates points to the fact that he graduated as a major reason for going pro: "I got a diploma, that's what you come to college for."

Coates: "It was a moment where you looked at it and (knew) it was that time (to turn pro)."

Malzahn confirms Auburn will cover Sammie Coates' loss-of-value insurance for the Outback Bowl. He's a low-1st, early-2nd round prospect.

Malzahn on Coates' draft projections: "We really don't need projections, he's one of the best receivers in college football right now."

@AUBlog

Coates: "If I wouldn't have graduated (Saturday), it wouldn't have even been a thought (to leave early)."

@wareagleextra

Coates said he hasn't seen his draft evaluation or looked at any projections this year. He said he didn't want it to affect his season.

What do you tell NFL coaches and scouts about what kind of player Sammie Coates is, Gus Malzahn? "Turn the film on."

Malzahn on Coates: "He's got a bright future, and we're proud of him. And we've got him for one more game."

@JFergusonAU

Malzahn's forecast on Sammie Coates: "He's going to be a high draft pick."

@jzenor

B47kP5qCMAA1iqA.jpg

via @AlbertCesare

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should! This guy looks the part but he needs to improve his hands. He has dropped almost as many as he has caught. I think another year will do him good.

Sammie was good on the fly pattern and when it landed in his belly. He did have one or two catches against Bama where he had to make a tough catch - otherwise he dropped the passes in his hands. He needs another year and learn to make the tough catches like Duke was doing. He does that and he will be a top receiver in the draft the next year.

Depends on where his stock is. I don't think he will stay because I think this will be a weak wr draft class. Also I don't think you guys are thinking, if you see a guy that has everything you want but consistent hands you draft him. You see he makes tough catches sometimes and you think with better coaching he becomes a star. Believe it or not Cooper doesn't have the best hands. Many of the top wr's now didn't have the best hands. And sometimes you want a guy out there just for the threat of stretching the field which is exactly why they played Sammie even when he was hurt because him at 80% is still a better athlete or at least faster than anybody we have

Would be great to see him catching balls from JJ next year. Duke too. I think both of those guys draft stock would go way up when each goes over 1000 yards. That is a real possibility with JJ's accuracy and touch.

They have to weigh the possibility of moving up in the draft vs injury. If a player can go 2nd round, I'd say it would be a good thing to go ahead and go.

If not, maybe we can get insurance policies on them if they stay.

They have to weigh the possibility of moving up in the draft vs injury. If a player can go 2nd round, I'd say it would be a good thing to go ahead and go.

If not, maybe we can get insurance policies on them if they stay.

Most definitely.

I don't think hes a 2nd rd guy because he runs 1 route on most of his catches. If he can become a good route runner plus more consistent with his hands he legitimately could be a top 15 pick.

It's a possibility in my mind the way the game went last night on a national stage that both Duke and Sammie leave. Since it's a pretty decent WR draft group already, it may be better for Sammie to stick around for his senior year and improve his hands. He does everything else right though, he's fast and big, plus he can jump and shield a DB. That's NFL. He's just gotta be able to catch everything thrown to him. Duke can't do much more, except pat his stats and improve on blocking. He can run routes and catch nearly everything thrown his way. They both looked like NFL receivers last night. I think one will stay and one will go. If they both return then the offense will be extremely dynamic!

I agree with Tiger. Sammie may go, but if he does, he will not be taken early. That said, would he benefit from another year at Auburn? I guess that's what he'll have to think about.

CBS Sports predicts Sammie to be drafted in the first or second round. I don't see how his stock would go up much next year, even with JJ. While I would love for him to stay, it would probably be in his best financial interest to declare.

CBS Sports predicts Sammie to be drafted in the first or second round. I don't see how his stock would go up much next year, even with JJ. While I would love for him to stay, it would probably be in his best financial interest to declare.

Sammy should stay. He does not run routes, he has the fly pattern and that is about it. He is fast, strong and athletic, but just with average hands now. He needs a lot of work. I love Sammy, but he will have a hard time in the NFL if he went this year. You better catch every ball that comes to you in the NFL and you better run great routes because you don's get space in the NFL and the QB throws the ball to a space quite a bit of the time.

Sammy will kill it a the combine on all the measurables, but he needs at least another year to learn route running and improve the percentage of passes that he catches.

Who was the more impressive WR during their Auburn tenures? Darvin Adams or Sammie Coates to this point? I'm curious to see how everyone would compare the 2. Asking because Darvin left after his junior year and it's obvious, especially now, that he left too early. And I seem to recall Adams also dropping easy ones from time to time. I don't know if it seems like Coates drops more, or that we need the offense to play flawless and mistakes become magnified because we can't overcome them due to how bad the defense was this past year.

Look at Kelvin Benjamin. He has had his share of drops this season with the Panthers, but he was still taken in the early rounds by them. I hope Sammie comes back (Duke, too), but I can't blame him if he leaves. If he can get first 2-3 round money, that's difficult to turn down for hopes of a better year with JJ, especially with the fear of injury wiping it all away.

Adams didn't have a high draft grade, I don't know why he chose to leave and of course he don't have the athletic ability Coates has so he wasn't going to blow scouts away like that. He only became a little inconsistent like the last two games though, our fan base feels if you have 2 or 3 drops you can't catch and have things to work on. He caught the ball much better than Coates did and was targeted alot more as well

Darvin and coates are 2 completely different style of WRs. Darvin could catch about as good as anyone we have had and ran pretty good routes but was not a fast or physically imposing WR. Sammie is exactly the opposite. Has a few more drops and needs route work but is fast tall and a physical freak. I think he could go in the top 3 rounds of the draft after a awesome combine.

I work with a guy that grew up with Sammie. Said he intends to come back because he realizes he needs some work on route running. Take that for what it's worth, probably not much, but it makes me feel better about it at least

The drops bother fans way more than NFL scouts, I promise you that. Sammie's issue is that he doesn't have a large catch radius, despite his size and athletic ability. That may or may not push him really far down the draft boards.

Darvin Adams didn't leave too early. He never would have seen a ball in his zip code after Cam left. None of our receivers did.

Archived