Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

B4tKwzmIgAIuPyg.jpg

Former Florida coach Will Muschamp has agreed to a three-year deal to become Auburn's defensive coordinator, sources close to the situation told ESPN on Friday night.

Muschamp, who had a 28-21 record in four seasons at Florida, chose the Auburn position after interviewing for Houston's head-coaching job. He was also courted for defensive coordinator jobs at South Carolina and Texas A&M.

Sources said Muschamp's deal is worth between $1.6 million and $1.8 million annually, which will make him the highest-paid defensive coordinator in college football.

http://espn.go.com/c...ive-coordinator

Will Muschamp's Florida defense ranked no lower than ninth nationally in total defense during 4-year tenure.

@bmarcello

Source confirms that Will Muschamp's salary at Auburn won't affect his buyout owed from Florida. So he's still getting $6.3 M and $1.6 M per

@Mark_Schlabach

B4tPFVRIcAEjYM_.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good. We know there will be some turnover with the staff. Just really curious to see who Muschamp will bring with him.

If that's the case you gotta move Garner and give Muschamp what he wants and needs to fix this thing.

No brainer

If that's the case you gotta move Garner and give Muschamp what he wants and needs to fix this thing.

No brainer

Bingo!

My guess is Muschamp wants to bring his own DL coach and Malzahn wants to keep Garner.

I don't think that's it. Or at least I don't think we're insisting on keeping Garner at DL coach. He originally was going to coach just the DEs and Rocker was going to coach DTs. But I do think there are discussions as to who Muschamp wants to bring and who that means we have to move or let go.

All that said, Garner will be coaching for Auburn next year.

I thought RG was highly thought of by many here when hired, mainly because of his recruiting and track record of getting guys in the league from UGA...am I wrong??? and don't forget RG is Auburn bred ...you just don't throw your own out like that ...jmo tho

Whatever it is, just get it done and let's get on the recruiting trail and head into the bowl game and next season with a push of momentum.

That's what I like to hear! Now close the deal and get to work. ;)

:wareagle:

Almost have to keep Garner...what's he...Assoc Head Coach or something ? Going to find a place for him though he is sure getting a lot of money for a guy that does not seem to have a major role this coming season....but we are paying a lot of people these days not to coach at AU and a few more are probably going to be paid above their pay grade when all is settled.

WM needs to be able to pick his people....and I guess moving some folks or absorbing some salaries is just the "cost of doing business".

If you bring in a new DC...then I can only summarize that you allow the new DC to coordinate what he needs to make that transition better. Give BOOM control as to personnel decisions. If Garner is the sticking point, keep him at his current pay, move him to recruiting coordinator and let him go what he is good at.

I thought RG was highly thought of by many here when hired, mainly because of his recruiting and track record of getting guys in the league from UGA...am I wrong??? and don't forget RG is Auburn bred ...you just don't throw your own out like that ...jmo tho

He is VERY well thought of by those who are not reactionary pie-in-the-sky dreamers. RG is a tremendous talent both in coaching and in recruiting. He came home to help AU win a championship. People need to recognize.

I understand that coach garner is an Auburn man and probably deserves to stay more than the other defensive guys. All I'm saying is move the guy to whatever you can and let Muschamp come in here with exactly what he wants. You never want to start a thing like this off by handcuffing your Coordinators. I'm sure it's all going to work out though. One of our secondary guys may have to say bye though. Lol

Archived