WarTiger

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121114aab.html

Auburn's Reese Dismukes wins Rimington Trophy

Dec. 11, 2014

10499040.jpeg

Reese Dismukes has been the center of Auburn's offense for four years

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

Reese Dismukes won the Rimington Trophy as college football's best center Thursday night, and that means he's joined some of Auburn's greats.

"This will get your picture on Jordan-Hare Stadium," said offensive line coach J.B. Grimes. "This award means you're being singled out as maybe being one of the best players in the history of the game.

"I think it's a great honor for him. I think it's a great honor for Auburn."

Dismukes won the award during a night of honors during the ESPN College Football Awards Show. The winner was determined from a consensus of the Walter Camp, Sporting News and Football Writers Association of America All-America teams. Dismukes is also a finalist for the Outland Award, which goes to the top lineman.

Dismukes joins some of Auburn's elite players. The Tigers now have a Rimington winner to go along with their three Heisman winners, two Outland Trophy winners, two Lombardi Trophy winners and a Jim Thorpe Trophy winner.

"I can't thank my coaches and teammates enough for allowing me to be successful, but also for them to be successful as well," Dismukes said. "That's putting in the work together in the offensive line. I couldn't play to the best of my ability without the guy next to me. This is just for me. It's for all five of us and Coach Grimes as well."

Dismukes will make his 50th start as Auburn's center against Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl. Only one Auburn offensive lineman has ever started more.

"Consistency is the best description of Reese," Grimes said. "I've never seen him take a lazy step on a football field. He's the same every single day, and that's a pleasure to coach."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn called the award "a tremendous honor and accomplishment for Reese."

"He has played a large role in the success of our offense at Auburn, leading the way for an offense that was first in the Southeastern Conference in rushing the last two years. Reese is a hard worker, extremely intelligent, and one of the best offensive linemen to every wear an Auburn uniform."

Dismukes has also been honored as All-American and All-SEC performer since the regular season ended.

The Rimington Trophy winner is selected by determining the consensus All-America center pick from the Walter Camp, Sporting News and Football Writers Association of America All-America teams.

The award is named in honor of Dave Rimington, an All-America center at Nebraska in 1981 and 1982.

"We are thrilled to have such an outstanding young man represent the Rimington Trophy while we celebrate 15 years," Rimington said. "He has excelled not only on the football field, but also in the classroom and is well-respected by teammates and coaches alike. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for him and wish him the best of luck."

Dismukes will formally receive the Rimington Trophy in Lincoln, Neb., on Jan. 11.

This is awesome. Been rooting for him to win this for a while. Congrats. Well deserved.

Outstanding...I was afraid our bad finish would affect his chances....great recognition for his hard work.

Recall watching Mr. Rimington play our Tigers in JH back in the early 80's. Was a MAMINAL! Near our goal line Nebraska took a time out and I recall watching Rimington palm his own helmet and single-handedly extract it from his head, popping the chin straps in the process. Had not seen that done before. Glad to see our own win this prestigious award! Congratulations, Reese!

Archived