Alex Thompson has rejoined the team (update 4/29 transfering)

aufan57

Sizable addition

Jay G. Tate

AuburnSports.com Publisher

AUBURN | Sophomore Alex Thompson, who left the team in August, has rejoined the Tigers and will make the trip to Clemson this weekend, AuburnSports.com has learned.

1632756.jpgspacer1.gif Jay G. Tate/AuburnSports.com spacer1.gif Alex Thompson logged 163 minutes as a freshman last season.

The 6-foot-8 forward isn't expected to play this weekend, however, and likely will make his season debut against Winthrop on Dec. 17.

Thompson, a graduate of Houston Academy in Dothan, Ala., played in 21 games as a freshman last season. Though he didn't score often, he was a credible defender and defensive rebounder.

That can help the Tigers, who are struggling to defend within 10 feet of the basket. Auburn had been playing with only one player taller than 6-7 -- Jordon Granger is the team's de facto big man at 6-8 -- and Thompson's return adds some size to coach Bruce Pearl's interior defense.

Though Thompson is best suited to play small forward, he spent last season and the summer working to improve his post moves. He's expected to provide Pearl a second post option when Granger and center Cinmeon Bowers need a break.

Thompson practiced with the team throughout the summer, but took what the school termed "a leave of absence" beginning Aug. 29. A walk-on to begin the 2013-14 season, Thompson later was placed on scholarship and former coach Tony Barbee said he'd remain on scholarship.

Thompson will return to practice this afternoon.

Senior editor Jeffrey Lee contributed to this report.

Excuse the formatting.

I was surprised when he left. I had heard that he had impressed Pearl and was expected to get a bit of PT under Pearl. I am glad he is back. We need some height and along with Reed we just got a lot taller. With Mason coming back the team just got a good bit better.

• 4 months later...

and now he is leaving again, according to seth goodman

If true, guess I don't blame him...BP beating the bushes recruiting people to fill "his spot" and not offering a scholly....if it were me I would be seeing the handwriting on the wall and trying to find a scholly somewhere else or stick to intramural basketball.

I realize a bunch of guys on the bench are walk-ons but they are mostly there for practice and don't expect a scholly. But for Alex, seems to me that twice he was led to believe that a scholly was possible....and looks like no chance now. Expect he could play somewhere at FCS level or whatever.

i hope cbp feels he has much better options. alex balled at the end.

Yeah, that MSU game in the tourney was awesome.

He had a good run in the tournament for a minute but if we are replacing him with a legit talent then this is what we're going to have to get used to for a few years under Pearl

I hate losing this kid. He played hard and got better. He really helped us in SEC tourney. I love seeing a walk on make a difference so this really hurts good luck to him he will be missed. I understand we needed a big time player but I wish we could have kept him.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Tiger. I appreciate the hard work he put in and the contributions he made, especially in the SEC tournament. But you don't win races without horses. And CBP knows he needs to get a few thoroughbreds in the corral.

I agree with Tiger. I appreciate the hard work he put in and the contributions he made, especially in the SEC tournament. But you don't win races without horses. And CBP knows he needs to get a few thoroughbreds in the corral.

Sounds like your talking about Broncos............

Sounds like your talking about Broncos............

Go Broncos baby!

Archived