AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

14252331-mmmain.jpg

Being reported that he was shot and killed during a shooting at Tiger Lodge, no other info I can find thats been released yet. Just going off what is on twitter from his friends and the reactions from some of the other players. Prayers sent to everyone, this makes me sick to my stomach ...

From D Mark, The voice of the Opelika football team:

"The Opelika family mourns tonight and days to come. We must turn to God for Peace. We all need to pray for the Mitchell Family."

Capture.png

http://espn.go.com/c...killed-shooting

Malzahn:

"I'm devastated and saddened by the passing of Jakell Mitchell," Malzahn said in a statement. "My thoughts and prayers are with Jakell's family and friends, who are suffering through this senseless tragedy. I know the Auburn Family is hurting, especially our players and coaches, and we are going to love and support them through this difficult time. We have lost a member of our family too young, too soon."

UPDATED (12/14/14)

BLZOI4_I.jpg

BREAKING: 22-year-old Markale Hart of Camp Hill, Ala., as been arrested and charged with murder in the death of Jakell Mitchell.

Markale Hart has priors, including unlawful carrying of a pistol http://t.co/ORgGb3E9xH

@AUBlog: Auburn PD tracked down Markale Hart in Dadeville where they worked in conjunction with the Tallapoosa County Sheriffs Dept. & Jackson Gap PD

w9govNR.jpg

Updated 12/15/14

A few photos from the candle light vigil in downtown Opelika ...

1381813_10102588827031741_7098428734929347867_n.jpg

via Todd Van Emst

B473yuwIcAA5vey.jpg

via @WarDamnFox

The shirt Jakell Mitchell's father wore to a candlelight vigil in honor of his son (via @Justin_WSFA) ...

B48F7eLIUAA0yN3.jpgB48F7fFIgAAvubI.jpg

B479gjoIAAAMRPU.jpg

via @AllenHenry

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on Reddit posted saying that he was hearing the same thing. Tre Williams tweeted this at 3:00 AM this morning: "Can't be happening... That's like my brother man..can't be true"

Awful if true... Just terrible... Prayers sent out to the Mitchell family and the team. Tre is right, those guys are so close, it's like they're family. Really hoping this isn't true.

Alex Byington @AUBlog 8s8 seconds ago

Auburn freshman TE/HB Jakell Mitchell has been pronounced dead following a shooting at Tiger Lodge tonight, per an official at Auburn PD.

This is the same place as the last shooting. I use to go there all the time when it was the exchange and never seen any problems but man they got some big ones now that need to be solved quickly.

Alex Byington @AUBlog 8s8 seconds ago

Auburn freshman TE/HB Jakell Mitchell has been pronounced dead following a shooting at Tiger Lodge tonight, per an official at Auburn PD.

This is the same place as the last shooting. I use to go there all the time when it was the exchange and never seen any problems but man they got some big ones now that need to be solved quickly.

You are right. They need to clean that place up asap. Too much chaos is that one complex.

True. Here is the O-A News Update. http://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/article_af322c5a-837e-11e4-9bcd-5fc53fc05c4f.html

Our thoughts and Prayers are with the family. Pry the Authorities arrest the shooter. That apartment complex should be off limits for all athletes.

I can't know now but the problem last time was people that weren't students at the school at these parties, but the parties not on campus so how do you regulate it?

Too many times a simple argument ends with someone who who feels they were disrespected firing a gun. Cooler heads used to prevail. Prayers up for Jakell and his family. I hope they find the suspect quick.

From my experience...college students and local non college students often don't mix well.

There are a lot of want to be touugh guys that come to college parties with chips and envy in their shoulders and the minute something goes wrong they want to fight and recently they have been shooting. This is very sad and unfortunate

Place ban on that place and they get booted off team if they so up their.Was it a party or did he live their and then something happened. Real men use their words and if a fight occurs a real man after getting whooped sakes the winners hand and they go get a beer. Only cowards that speak for themselves or cant fight after their mouth gets them in trouble use weapons.If this is about a girl, no girl worth enternal darkness.

Too many times a simple argument ends with someone who who feels they were disrespected firing a gun. Cooler heads used to prevail. Prayers up for Jakell and his family. I hope they find the suspect quick.

In the recent past, two guys would take it outside and fight and wrestle and be done with it. Probably have a beer in a day or two and it would be over. I am too old to understand this mindset.

RIP Jakell and prayers to the family.

Archived